Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 04:06 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Is this an American phenomenon in every larger city where when the weather becomes warmer very loud exhaust vehicles seem to hit the streets at all hours of the day and night, often blasting their favorite choice of "music". I have experienced this in the Orlando area, Philadelphia and now Toledo. Just curious if I'm the lucky one or is this kind of rampant?

Old 04-14-2024, 05:40 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
You never rode a bike in summer? Or a convertible?

Old 04-14-2024, 06:48 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I don’t care for the loud music, but I’ve been a gear head for too long not to appreciate loud exhausts…except for four-cylinder cars, which just sound like angry bumble bees. I haven’t been anywhere in the U.S. where it’s not at least somewhat common.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:25 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
TBH this is probably the single biggest reason I'm glad I grew up in a major city. I don't even notice environmental noises like this most of the time. My roommate (from the small-town South) has complained a lot about the people racing by our apartment and the neighbors playing loud reggaeton and salsa music, and I don't notice it unless I'm paying attention.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:28 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
TBH this is probably the single biggest reason I'm glad I grew up in a major city. I don't even notice environmental noises like this most of the time. My roommate (from the small-town South) has complained a lot about the people racing by our apartment and the neighbors playing loud reggaeton and salsa music, and I don't notice it unless I'm paying attention.
I've lived in a big city for a long time, and I'm immune to horns, sirens, general city noise, but some of these mufflers and music at 2am could wake a hibernating bear.

A major QOL / noise issue is the ATV & dirt-bike noise (and illegal riding). Not common in Manhattan, but in Philadelphia (and elsewhere), it is a hotbed issue. Thankfully the new Philadelphia Mayor is working on it.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-15-2024 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2024, 07:40 AM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I've lived in a big city for a long time, and I'm immune to horns, sirens, general city noise, but some of these mufflers and music at 2am could wake a hibernating bear.

A major QOL / noise issue is the ATV & dirt-bike noise (and illegal riding). Not common in Manhattan, but in Philadelphia (and elsewhere), it is a hotbed issue. Thankfully the new Philadelphia Mayor is working on it.
The dirt bike thing must be a fairly localized issue. It wasn’t one in Texas, or California. I do see them here in WNY but they’re rarely the loud vehicles. It’s actually shockingly quiet here unless it’s crap that’s rotted out with y’all’s salt use.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:43 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Was just talking to a friend about this yesterday....happens in Pittsburgh basically nonstop. Also, seems like a lot of folks just feel the need to gun it from every stop light, creating an unreal amount of noise to just get to the next stop light and do it all over again. Add in the burnouts that occur for hours in parking lots and little uses streets, and it is basically unbearable if you live close to it. It's to the point that you cant even have your windows open.

I know a lot of folks will say, "well they could be doing a lot worse" but that doesn't justify noise pollution. It's obnoxious behavior that really degrades the quality of life for folks that have to listen to it all summer long.

It's so bad in certain places in Pittsburgh, you can see it on Google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...4cDI?entry=ttu

Old 04-15-2024, 08:24 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
I'm in Georgia and with the nice weather, yes, the loud-exhaust bikes are coming out. Honestly, I don't mind it, because if it helps them be heard before they are seen, it might actually save their lives.

I'm used to the loud music and the funny vibrating sound of bass coming from the doors of some of these hilariously ragged-out vehicles.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:26 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t care for the loud music, but I’ve been a gear head for too long not to appreciate loud exhausts…except for four-cylinder cars, which just sound like angry bumble bees. I haven’t been anywhere in the U.S. where it’s not at least somewhat common.

Yeah have what are call "ricers" around here too. Almost always low-riders with chips and an added exhaust with both exhausts large and sticking out the back. It amazes me that they last with all of our pothole-riddled roads.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:35 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Not talked about is the public safety aspect and the inability of those drivers or the ones around them to hear sirens from responding emergency vehicles/police. That alone should make the noise ordinances more enforceable yet for whatever reason law enforcement won't even approach them unless called in as a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.