Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:57 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You don't have to go far from Coral Gables with Fort Lauderdale on near equal footing with neighborhoods like Harbor Beach, Las Olas, Rio Vista, Coral Ridge and Bay Ridge where median home values start at 3 million and average as high as 15 million.
Rio Vista has a 1.4 acre lot for sale for 40MM! Guy bought the mansion for 24mm and knocked it down then was asking 50MM. Guy could easily make 10 million for simply knocking the old house down

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

This is a hedge fund guy, he bought David Stern's old mansion then bought everything around it. Stern was the foreclosure lawyer that was fraudulently taking homes with forged paperwork.

These two houses are across the intracoastal from each other.

Old Today, 04:16 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You don't have to go far from Coral Gables with Fort Lauderdale on near equal footing with neighborhoods like Harbor Beach, Las Olas, Rio Vista, Coral Ridge and Bay Ridge where median home values start at 3 million and average as high as 15 million.
Even in Boca, Manalapan, Palm Beach (home to a whopping 60 billionaires) and inland places like Parkland and Southwest Ranches - insane money. Then there’s non SFL metro areas like Naples, Venice, Sarasota, etc where you can’t build a normal sized home unless your budget is seven figures.

The Florida of today is vastly different than the Florida of even five years ago. I don’t know how the middle class will be able to stay put.

Old Today, 04:57 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Do you realize that these mansions are literally fortresses?

This sold for 25mm in 2019 and is now asking 57mm. Sure it could get some water damage, trees knocked down, roof tiles blown away but this is not going to be total devastation. Remember the news, Jim Cantore's crew head to the worst areas for the best TV shots (trailer parks upside down, houses under 10 feet of water).

Hurricanes don't deter rich people, it gives them a reason to redecorate! Yes real estate is cyclical but Florida has great weather and no state income tax. CA added an income tax for the wealthy! Florida also protects debtors with their homestead laws.

Come back to me if a category 4 or 5 hits the area….not an Irma. I’m sure many shieks in Dubai thought their wealthy possessions were impervious to climate change as well.

Last edited by elchevere; Today at 05:36 PM..

Old Today, 05:08 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Even in Boca, Manalapan, Palm Beach (home to a whopping 60 billionaires) and inland places like Parkland and Southwest Ranches - insane money. Then there’s non SFL metro areas like Naples, Venice, Sarasota, etc where you can’t build a normal sized home unless your budget is seven figures.

The Florida of today is vastly different than the Florida of even five years ago. I don’t know how the middle class will be able to stay put.
You are correct, but there are only a few year round warm weather oceanfront areas in the U.S.—SoCal and SoFla—which people (not just from the U.S.) are willing to pay a premium for.

Middle class Floridians, pre Covid, have been replaced to a great extent by often wealthier out of country/out of towners who, in turn, have attracted and been followed by upscale restauranteurs (Thomas Keller, Massimo Bottura, Dani Garcia, Major Food Group, etc ) and retailers—following the money.

Last edited by elchevere; Today at 05:31 PM..

Old Today, 05:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
There are only a few year round warm weather oceanfront areas in the U.S.—SoCal and SoFla—which people (not just from the U.S.) are willing to pay a premium for.
Exactly.

Coming from Southern California I no longer can endure winter blues, and I get low-energy & fussy when it’s overcast. I was in the tri-county area last week for 5 days, going up and down from Miami to PBC. I was SO happy (I wasn’t being a tourist. I was working on a very tight schedule to hopefully buy a house within 4.5 days so I was working with a realtor for 10-11 hrs a day.) It was 80 degree but was not humid nor felt hot, the sea breeze was felt even in the inland area. I was only looking at the waterfront houses + gated communities.-yes it’s getting almost California level of expensive (if you add HOI drama everyone was having nervous breakdown for+ 2% + property tax. CA doesn’t have much HOA communities, but in FL you’re paying for HOA with the public amenities you probably never use. I love the storybook-like, lush, manicured, beautifully landscaped tree-canopy communities though. That is quality of life in my book.)but it’s the premium I am happy to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.