Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:32 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times

Advertisements

I've mentioned on here before that while visiting a relative at Albany State a couple times, I didnt particularly see anything too frightening. When she graduated about 4 years ago, I went to the Civic Center and to a restaurant (dont remember the name) but I didnt see anything that bad while driving to either. I have another relative there now and I ventured to parts of Albany I've never been to before (at least as an adult) today. I traveled from ASU to the mall. I saw a sketchy apartment complex near the campus and some public housing on my way to the mall, but the area around the mall and I believe it was Westover Blvd seemed to have a decent retail and it didnt look unsafe. The mall had more than I was expecting too.

I'm aware that coincidentally, it just may happen that I always end up in the better looking areas and most of the places I havent been to may be horrible, but just from what I've saw alone, it doesnt seem as bad as most say.

Does it take more negative criticism than it deserves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,725 times
My daughter just graduated this past May from ASU and just returned back Monday to attend ASU Darton College of Health Professions. She has never mentioned to me any problems there.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,164,870 times
Race relations and being located in South Georgia are two of the main reasons why Albany receive so much negative criticism.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
I'm embarrassed to say I've only been to Albany 2-3 times in my life but the times I was there it wasn't nearly as awful as the rest of Georgia makes it out to be. In fact parts of the town are quite nice. I think the Downtown area (like most) is seeing a renaissance of sorts and has lots of potential.

That whole SW corner of the state is a hidden gem IMO. Lots of really neat small towns and beautiful farmland down there.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
I always get the impression that it's severely rundown, and on here I've read there's extreme reverse racism (whites treated very rudely by the black majority). It leaves me expecting something similar to the inner city of Detroit. Honestly, when I was out on Westover Blvd, I even saw many more white patrons in the stores and restaurants than i expected, with the typical southern hospitality regardless of race (small talk, holding doors open and thanking each other, etc). I was like where is this horrible place I've heard of? Granted its a smaller area and doesn't have a Shoppes at River Crossing development like us, Albany mall definitely looked better than Macon Mall and The Galleria in Warner Robins/Centerville

Old 08-16-2017, 04:42 PM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I always get the impression that it's severely rundown, and on here I've read there's extreme reverse racism (whites treated very rudely by the black majority). It leaves me expecting something similar to the inner city of Detroit. Honestly, when I was out on Westover Blvd, I even saw many more white patrons in the stores and restaurants than i expected, with the typical southern hospitality regardless of race (small talk, holding doors open and thanking each other, etc). I was like where is this horrible place I've heard of? Granted its a smaller area and doesn't have a Shoppes at River Crossing development like us, Albany mall definitely looked better than Macon Mall and The Galleria in Warner Robins/Centerville
Seems to be typical small town South Georgia. Not as much money as Thomasville or the job base of Columbus, but not so bad.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Seems to be typical small town South Georgia. Not as much money as Thomasville or the job base of Columbus, but not so bad.
It's the center of the SW Georgia agricultural industry. I'm fascinated by all the miles and miles of row crops as well as the pecan orchards that surround Albany. Americus and Sumter County (home of Plains and Jimmy Carter) is a fascinating place -- tons of history and things to see and do.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It's the center of the SW Georgia agricultural industry. I'm fascinated by all the miles and miles of row crops as well as the pecan orchards that surround Albany. Americus and Sumter County (home of Plains and Jimmy Carter) is a fascinating place -- tons of history and things to see and do.
I grew up there and return often to visit my family. South Georgia is really a nice place once you accept the fact that it is not Atlanta.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:36 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
Albany is no worse than Macon, Columbus or Augusta... just on a smaller scale.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:57 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeaulazy View Post
I'm honestly don't really care for South Georgia. Remember the segregated prom incident?
apparantly the segregated proms were voluntary.. and it had to do with different tastes in music. Now that doesn't excuse it but it is not like the school system had official segregated proms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia