Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,982,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Wow. I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:46 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,527,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
US 341 is already 4 laned from Brunswick northwest to I-75 at Perry, with some stretches built to freeway standards and 70 mph speed limits. Most of the towns along the way already have bypasses as well. It had very little traffic when I lived in Brunswick and drove that route 10 years ago. Unless things change dramatically, I think it’s probably adequate for the time being.

The lack of a direct interstate link between Brunswick and Metro Atlanta ihas certainly not hurt the port thus far. Just saying.
Newsboy makes an excellent point.

In the continued absence of a direct east-west Interstate superhighway link for the foreseeable future, four and five-lane surface highways like U.S. Highway 341 (Golden Isles Parkway), and Georgia Highway 520/U.S. Highway 82 (South Georgia Parkway) serve as viable and adequate options westward from the fast growing seaport at Brunswick.

US 341 and US 82 (GA 520) were specifically upgraded to 4-5 lane highways to help facilitate increased access to and from the Brunswick seaport as part of the long-term Georgia state government GRIP (Governor's Road Improvement Plan) because of the absence of direct east-west Interstate-standard superhighway connections.

US 341 Golden Isles Parkway in particular can serve as a viable multi-lane surface alternative to Interstates 16 and 95 when traveling between I-75 and the Brunswick seaport.

Meanwhile, GA 520 (US 82) South Georgia Parkway serves as a direct multi-lane connector between the Brunswick seaport and westward points like Waycross, Tifton, Albany and Columbus, etc.

Golden Isles Parkway GDOT Fact Sheet
http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/do...yFactsheet.pdf

South Georgia Parkway GDOT Fact Sheet
http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/do...yFactSheet.pdf

Georgia Governor's Road Improvement Program (GRIP) Current Status Map as of July 2018
http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/do...yFactSheet.pdf

Old 10-27-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I don’t know of any U.S. highway in the state of Georgia (or besides Texas and a few western states) that has a speed limit of 70. Perhaps 65. Thats also a fairly recent speed limit in Georgia as well. Before the max was 55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well I regularly drove 70 mph on it and never ever saw a single law enforcement vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Wow. I stand corrected.
Just to be clear, 70 mph is the current maximum posted speed limit for stretches of grade-separated superhighways outside of the I-285 Perimeter.

65 mph is the current maximum posted speed limit for rural stretches of at-grade four-lane highways.

From what I understand from all of my years of driving around large swaths of the state of Georgia and the Southeastern U.S., local police and county sheriff's departments are not allowed to issue tickets for speeding violations that are less than 10 mph over the posted speed limit unless the speeding violation occurs in a school zone or a construction zone, in which case local police and county sheriff's departments can issue tickets for speeding violations that are as little as 1 mph over the posted speed limit if they so desire.

Though, it is customary for most (but not all) local and state law enforcement agencies (local police/county sheriff's departments and the Georgia State Patrol) to not issue tickets for speeding until one is at least doing more than 15 mph over the posted speed limit outside of school and construction zones.

With the posted speed limit being 65 mph on rural stretches of a four-lane roadway like US 341 Golden Isles Parkway, citations for speeding probably would not be issued until one is at least doing about 75-80 mph on a rural stretch of such a four-lane roadway with a posted speed limit of 65 mph.

...Something which could be a reason why at-grade four-lane roadways like US 341 could be considered by many to be effective at moving traffic to and from an important piece of multimodal infrastructure like the Brunswick seaport despite not being an Interstate-standard grade-separated superhighway.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:58 PM

Default Federal judge blocks U.S. Army Corps dredging of Brunswick Harbor over environmental concerns

Environmental advocates opposing a plan to dredge coastal Georgia shipping channels starting this month have won a court victory to block the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from executing a dredging of the Brunswick Harbor that was scheduled to begin on May 28th over concerns that the dredging project could harm endangered loggerhead sea turtles.

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Stan Baker granted a preliminary injunction Thursday blocking the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from dredging activity in Brunswick Harbor that had been due to begin May 28.

In a lawsuit against the Corps filed on behalf of the group One Hundred Miles, the Southern Environmental Law Center argued dredging this time of year would harm endangered loggerhead sea turtles. The Corps historically has limited dredging to the winter months, when the turtles are not nesting.
Judge blocks Army Corps dredging in coastal Georgia (Dave Williams/Capitol Beat News Service)

Old 05-24-2021, 08:39 AM

396 posts, read 418,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Environmental advocates opposing a plan to dredge coastal Georgia shipping channels starting this month have won a court victory to block the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from executing a dredging of the Brunswick Harbor that was scheduled to begin on May 28th over concerns that the dredging project could harm endangered loggerhead sea turtles.

Judge blocks Army Corps dredging in coastal Georgia (Dave Williams/Capitol Beat News Service)
Ok, so start dredging in the wintertime. What's the issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia