Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:59 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

The Port is already the 2nd largest roll on/off port in the nation, behind Baltimore and the goal is to make it the largest in the nation in a few years. Georgia is blessed to have both the Ports of Savannah and Brunswick

Quote:
The new dockside expansion will also double GPA’s rail capacity and give Brunswick the ability to build up 10,000-foot long unit trains on terminal. These longer trains make direct service over greater distances more attractive to Brunswick’s Class I rail roads, CSX and Norfolk Southern, GPA officials said. This will allow the Port of Brunswick to expand service in markets west of the Mississippi River and into the Midwest. Vehicles crossing the Brunswick docks are already moving west in significant numbers, with 16,000 units sent to California from Brunswick and more than 4,500 to Texas during FY2018.
https://www.savannahnow.com/business...brunswick-port
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
This makes me wonder if they’ll ever need an interstate going west from Brunswick.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
This makes me wonder if they’ll ever need an interstate going west from Brunswick.
They do, that's why I support an eastern extension of Interstate 22 from Birmingham to Brunswick. Not only would it open up Brunswick to markets further west, but it would provide a link to midwest cities as well.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
They do, that's why I support an eastern extension of Interstate 22 from Birmingham to Brunswick. Not only would it open up Brunswick to markets further west, but it would provide a link to midwest cities as well.
But will it ever happen? How much of a push is there from local and state governments to make it happen? My guess is not much.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
But will it ever happen? How much of a push is there from local and state governments to make it happen? My guess is not much.
I think there would be a push for it, if local officials knew about the benefits of the plan. Just like with the I-14 plan that is now gaining steam, it will be up to local officials to light a fire under GDOT to get anything going. But besides interest, the biggest hindrance will be funding. Also you would have to get Alabama interested in pushing for an extension as well.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I think there would be a push for it, if local officials knew about the benefits of the plan. Just like with the I-14 plan that is now gaining steam, it will be up to local officials to light a fire under GDOT to get anything going. But besides interest, the biggest hindrance will be funding. Also you would have to get Alabama interested in pushing for an extension as well.
Would be. So there’s not.

Haven’t heard much about I-14 in years. What’s new there?

As for Alabama, 231 is high speed from most of the way through except Alex City and smaller towns. Doubt they’d be very interested. If, in fact, it goes that way.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
US 341 is already 4 laned from Brunswick northwest to I-75 at Perry, with some stretches built to freeway standards and 70 mph speed limits. Most of the towns along the way already have bypasses as well. It had very little traffic when I lived in Brunswick and drove that route 10 years ago. Unless things change dramatically, I think it’s probably adequate for the time being.

The lack of a direct interstate link between Brunswick and Metro Atlanta ihas certainly not hurt the port thus far. Just saying.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
US 341 is already 4 laned from Brunswick northwest to I-75 at Perry, with some stretches built to freeway standards and 70 mph speed limits. Most of the towns along the way already have bypasses as well. It had very little traffic when I lived in Brunswick and drove that route 10 years ago. Unless things change dramatically, I think it’s probably adequate for the time being.

The lack of a direct interstate link between Brunswick and Metro Atlanta ihas certainly not hurt the port thus far. Just saying.
I don’t know of any U.S. highway in the state of Georgia (or besides Texas and a few western states) that has a speed limit of 70. Perhaps 65. Thats also a fairly recent speed limit in Georgia as well. Before the max was 55.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
I don’t know of any U.S. highway in the state of Georgia (or besides Texas and a few western states) that has a speed limit of 70. Perhaps 65. Thats also a fairly recent speed limit in Georgia as well. Before the max was 55.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_...iction#Georgia

Old 10-25-2018, 09:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Well I regularly drove 70 mph on it and never ever saw a single law enforcement vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia