Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:53 PM

30 posts, read 81,963 times

Advertisements

We're considering the move. I was born in Atlanta and lived near Lake Lanier most of my life. We moved to North Florida for work about 3.5 years ago and the job has us coming back to the Atlanta area "permanently." Job is home-based with visits to the Atlanta area for meetings, but I'm free to live pretty much anywhere and I'm not concerned for commute as it will be planned and not constant.

Plan is to do full-time in a cabin. Ellijay, Blue Ridge, and Blairsville always come to top of mind. Heck, we were married in Blue Ridge.

Looks like Blue Ridge is slightly cheaper on property taxes than Ellijay and Blairsville, but also seems to have the highest cost for the home.

Which area would you choose for a young family? Long term (years down the road) will have us keep the house with the potential to do short term rental / our vacation spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 06:24 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
We're considering the move. I was born in Atlanta and lived near Lake Lanier most of my life. We moved to North Florida for work about 3.5 years ago and the job has us coming back to the Atlanta area "permanently." Job is home-based with visits to the Atlanta area for meetings, but I'm free to live pretty much anywhere and I'm not concerned for commute as it will be planned and not constant.

Plan is to do full-time in a cabin. Ellijay, Blue Ridge, and Blairsville always come to top of mind. Heck, we were married in Blue Ridge.

Looks like Blue Ridge is slightly cheaper on property taxes than Ellijay and Blairsville, but also seems to have the highest cost for the home.

Which area would you choose for a young family? Long term (years down the road) will have us keep the house with the potential to do short term rental / our vacation spot.
Tough to say. Anecdotal here, but Ellijay, Blairsville, and Clayton all feel a little more liveable to me. Blue Ridge and Helen seem to be a little too far in the "tourist" bucket for me if I were selecting a permanent home?

Old 08-17-2022, 07:23 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
No one has mentioned it, but the mountain towns located in the NW Corner of Georgia provide easy access to the amenities of Chattanooga.

That said, there has been a lot of noticeable growth in the areas between Blue Ridge and Hiawasse in recent years.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:57 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
After doing some more research into North Georgia mountain towns it appears that Toccoa has the largest population.

I found that a bit surprising since I haven't been there since the 80's.

Used to enjoy visits to scenic Toccoa Falls and Tallulah Gorge.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:29 AM

I've spent a bit more time in the mountains, and formed some stronger opinions. I think I'd rank them in this order for me personally:

1) Clayton
2) Dahlonega
3) Ellijay
4) Blairsville
5) Jasper/Bent Tree/Big Canoe
6) Blue Ridge

I enjoy them all. I think I enjoy the ones that feel more homey, less touristy, with good outdoor amenities. I'm officially biased though as we just bought a mountain cabin in Clayton. But that's relevant because it forced us to spend a lot of time in all these places.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:54 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
No mention of Dahlonega? Really?

http://dahlonega.org/
Dahlonega has jumped the shark. Give me the far northeastern corner of Georgia: Toccoa, Cornelia, Cleveland, Demorest, Clayton, Clarkesville, Young Harris, Hiawassee, or Blairsville.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Dahlonega has jumped the shark. Give me the far northeastern corner of Georgia: Toccoa, Cornelia, Cleveland, Demorest, Clayton, Clarkesville, Young Harris, Hiawassee, or Blairsville.
I do agree that many parts of Dahlonega are starting to feel almost suburban in nature, not unlike dawsonville

Old 01-12-2023, 05:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Habersham County has been my favorite for years, love the place and the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia