Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:19 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I think there is some kind of federal law that prohibits private businesses from operating in those rest areas. I know there are exceptions here and there. But that's why they aren't more common, something to do with having a monopoly over freeway drivers. So they build exits instead.
Not in Florida, big companies like Marriott bid on the rest areas and get contracts for all of the service plazas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 12:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
I think there is some kind of federal law that prohibits private businesses from operating in those rest areas. I know there are exceptions here and there. But that's why they aren't more common, something to do with having a monopoly over freeway drivers. So they build exits instead.
There is. The main Florida Turnpike is State Road 91 and there is no federal road classification.

I won't say they can't tap into some Federal money for the turnpike, but they can't on the level if it was an interstate or federal route... just that of only a state road. This means there are federal design standards they don't have to meet in building and operating it, but it also means they do not get near the funding. Most states are better sticking to the federal funding.

I sort of agree with your sentiment about fearful of a monopoly, but I think it would be a good idea for the interstates. Just add a requirement that all service plazas must be within 5 miles of a rural exit with adequate private land for competing businesses.

The service plazas are often quicker and easier to use for people that do not need to mix with local traffic. Governments can include contractual details to service plaza, like Picnic space, public restrooms, state controlled advertising pamphlets for travelers, vending, truck parking/services.

It can really remove pressure paying for rest areas and fix issues with adequate overnight parking for long-haul truckers that must meet federal sleep requirements. This is actually heavily mentioned in state freight plans and brought up as a concern from the trucking industry when working on the state freight plan.

Obviously, if the government over-asks, they won't attract bidders. It seems to work on the Florida Turnpike.

I think this should be looked into for the interstate system.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:14 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Hopefully it will not be built like the interstates of the recent past. This is a gorgeous area and a typical interstate design with a lot of clear cutting would be nasty. Look to I-85 in southern Virginia for good freeway design in a rural area. The north and south lanes are divided by forest. Here's a typical exit:

The areas surrounding exits aren't clear-cut. Incorporate a few wildlife crossings and not only do you have a new connection, you've got a scenic parkway and a whole new tourist economy resulting from it.

Though, I would suspect it would take some wrangling to get the eager beavers at GDOT to design anything that doesn't resemble the Hot Wheels sets of their youth. If thoae guys had their druthers, the whole state would look like Cobb County.
So true and spot on.

Old 10-09-2021, 12:45 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
There is. The main Florida Turnpike is State Road 91 and there is no federal road classification.

I won't say they can't tap into some Federal money for the turnpike, but they can't on the level if it was an interstate or federal route... just that of only a state road. This means there are federal design standards they don't have to meet in building and operating it, but it also means they do not get near the funding. Most states are better sticking to the federal funding.

I sort of agree with your sentiment about fearful of a monopoly, but I think it would be a good idea for the interstates. Just add a requirement that all service plazas must be within 5 miles of a rural exit with adequate private land for competing businesses.

The service plazas are often quicker and easier to use for people that do not need to mix with local traffic. Governments can include contractual details to service plaza, like Picnic space, public restrooms, state controlled advertising pamphlets for travelers, vending, truck parking/services.

It can really remove pressure paying for rest areas and fix issues with adequate overnight parking for long-haul truckers that must meet federal sleep requirements. This is actually heavily mentioned in state freight plans and brought up as a concern from the trucking industry when working on the state freight plan.

Obviously, if the government over-asks, they won't attract bidders. It seems to work on the Florida Turnpike.

I think this should be looked into for the interstate system.
I thought Florida's turnpike was privatized, but it might be subsidized by the FDOT. It doesn't remind me of one of the expressways in Japan, with the toll plazas and service areas with cafes/restaurants.

Old 10-09-2021, 01:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I thought Florida's turnpike was privatized, but it might be subsidized by the FDOT. It doesn't remind me of one of the expressways in Japan, with the toll plazas and service areas with cafes/restaurants.
Sorta, not exactly.

It is operated by the Florida Turnpike Enterprise (FTE), which is directly a part of FDOT. So it is a state owned facility.

What they did was allowed for anything under FTE to operated like a business and removed from typical FDOT rules and regulations from anything they do. The law change basically said if FTE could recover costs of the project, they would waive various state regulations on how it is built and managed.

An imperfect example would be how the City of Atlanta operates Hartsfield or how the government operates the Post Office. It's a government enterprise that is tasked with running a business and making money and operating off of their proceeds. It is a government organization using private sector business practices in some way or form.

Now that has only been around for a few decades, it was originally a government toll building project using government bonds to finance construction. When that came to being there were controversies over Florida directly privatizing what Florida already built and operated.

Now with that said... They do private business contracts for all sorts of things from funding construction, engineering, operating toll plaza, cleaning restrooms, running service plazas, maintenance agreements, etc.. They've done public-private build projects. They are a very privatization friendly state for doing specific functions.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:51 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Sorta, not exactly.

It is operated by the Florida Turnpike Enterprise (FTE), which is directly a part of FDOT. So it is a state owned facility.

What they did was allowed for anything under FTE to operated like a business and removed from typical FDOT rules and regulations from anything they do. The law change basically said if FTE could recover costs of the project, they would waive various state regulations on how it is built and managed.

An imperfect example would be how the City of Atlanta operates Hartsfield or how the government operates the Post Office. It's a government enterprise that is tasked with running a business and making money and operating off of their proceeds. It is a government organization using private sector business practices in some way or form.

Now that has only been around for a few decades, it was originally a government toll building project using government bonds to finance construction. When that came to being there were controversies over Florida directly privatizing what Florida already built and operated.

Now with that said... They do private business contracts for all sorts of things from funding construction, engineering, operating toll plaza, cleaning restrooms, running service plazas, maintenance agreements, etc.. They've done public-private build projects. They are a very privatization friendly state for doing specific functions.
I see. It's kind of confusing as there's many parts involved. So it's basically like a P3 in a sense. I believe Amtrak would be another example of such a company. Yes, Florida is very privatization friendly state like with the Brightline train, and that's one of the aspects of it that reminds me of Japan with their rail and expressway system. Georgia ironically is not, though it should be as that would help with our infrastructure funding.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:36 PM

176 posts, read 129,327 times
It’s official! I-14 will become a reality sometime in the future. The longterm economic impact is unprecedented. High density downtown Columbus will skyrocket, high rises left and right, new jobs on top of jobs on top of jobs, new attractions to become a huggeee tourist spot nestled in West Georgia. Oh, and let’s not forget the impact it’s going to have on the airport. Even though American Airlines just left, CSG is going to come back bigger and better with probably 15+ new gates and multiple flights leaving out daily to other top travel destinations. The list goes on.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,532,569 times
I'm here for it!
I can't wait to see these 3 cities thrive!

Old 02-15-2023, 02:38 PM

967 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Are there any recent updates on this? The latest I could find were just general articles about it.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:31 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Are there any recent updates on this? The latest I could find were just general articles about it.
Haven't seen anything. Hope this happens in my lifetime haha. This should be a priority for the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia