Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 02:45 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say never
Florida is a great example of (having a bunch of international airports everywhere)
Someone feel free to explain the technical side to what I just posted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 08:41 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
It's unfortunate that both Macon and Athens do not have any major airline going into their airports. Macon has a couple of small airlines but Athens has none at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Macon will never have unsubsidized service out of its airport. I live close to downtown and can get to the Atlanta airport in about 70 minutes which is similar to many OTP on the northeast side of Atlanta like Buford and Cumming. Back when Macon had Delta connections, even if someone else was paying, I drove. The Macon airport is 15 minutes away and then I had to sit in Atlanta for 2+ hours. It just doesn't make sense. Athens and Macon are too close to ATL for it to be viable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
If Atlanta Needed a Secondary Airport
I'd Choose to upgrade Macon and or Athens' Airport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I wouldn't say never
Florida is a great example of (having a bunch of international airports everywhere)
Someone feel free to explain the technical side to what I just posted
A particularly very major challenge to making Macon (presumably Middle Georgia Regional Airport) a secondary airport for the greater Atlanta region is that most of the population of (and airport customers in) the greater Atlanta metropolitan area/region lives north of Interstate 20 and would have to drive past Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport while driving more than another hour south to get to Macon (Middle Georgia Regional Airport).

Because most metro Atlantans and North Georgians would have to drive south more than an hour past Hartsfield-Jackson Airport to get to Macon (Middle Georgia Regional Airport), Macon (Middle Georgia Regional Airport) very likely would not be the best candidate to be a secondary airport for the greater Atlanta region.

Because it could be relatively directly accessible from much of heavily populated Northeast metro Atlanta and very fast-growing Northeast Georgia (especially after the upgrade of Georgia 316 to a full freeway is completed), the Athens Airport seems like it could be a good candidate to be a secondary airport for the greater Atlanta region.

Because most of the population and development of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area and region is located north of Interstate 20, and because Hartsfield-Jackson Airport is located south of I-20 and is seemingly rather easily accessible to much (if not most) of the population and development in the greater Atlanta metropolitan area/region that is located south of I-20, any future secondary airport (or airports) for the greater Atlanta region very likely should be located north of I-20 and north of Atlanta where the demand for additional air travel infrastructure seems to be needed.

There are numerous sites that (at least theoretically and/or on paper) could serve as secondary airports for the greater Atlanta region, including Athens Airport, Jackson County Airport, Habersham County Airport, Cherokee County Airport and Paulding County Airport.

Cobb County International Airport (McCollum Field), Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Gwinnett County Airport (Briscoe Field) and Barrow County Airport are in good locations logistically but all have too much residential development near them to become secondary airports for the greater Atlanta region.

Macon (Middle Georgia Regional Airport) needs to be upgraded not to serve as a secondary airport for the Atlanta region but to enhance and increase economic development opportunities for the greater Middle Georgia region.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:00 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No mention of Blue Ridge? IMO at least matches if not surpasses Roswell and Alpharetta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Are we thinking of the same blue ridge here? The one with overpriced furniture stores that closes down at 5pm?
Hahahahaha...hilarious because that a pretty clueless remark. There are over 15 full-service restaurants in a six-block stretch on Blue Ridge's Main Street (and cross streets) open until 10pm most nights. That's not counting retail, coffee shops and bars/breweries.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:37 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hahahahaha...hilarious because that a pretty clueless remark. There are over 15 full-service restaurants in a six-block stretch on Blue Ridge's Main Street (and cross streets) open until 10pm most nights. That's not counting retail, coffee shops and bars/breweries.
Blue ridge has 1,200 residents. 15 restaurants doesn’t strike me as a crazy amount. Many close early, especially in the winter. Most that I’ve been to are of poor quality simply trying to prey off unknowing tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia