Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 03:40 PM

47 posts, read 37,562 times

Advertisements

Been thinking of relocating to Georgia. Anywhere except Atlanta would be nice or outskirts. Any other big ish town with good communities and schools mostly what im looking for.

If you can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 07:04 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycastane View Post
Been thinking of relocating to Georgia. Anywhere except Atlanta would be nice or outskirts. Any other big ish town with good communities and schools mostly what im looking for.

If you can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.
Sounds like you want suburbia with good schools. Warner Robins or Forsyth Ga in the center of the state near Macon would fit that well. Close to everything in Macon with good schools.

Old 10-05-2023, 02:02 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Sounds like you want suburbia with good schools. Warner Robins or Forsyth Ga in the center of the state near Macon would fit that well. Close to everything in Macon with good schools.
I second this recommendation by midgeorgiaman of the Central/Middle Georgia suburban and exurban areas of Houston County and Monroe County.

Houston County includes communities like Warner Robins, Bonaire, Kathleen, Perry and Centerville.

Monroe County includes communities like Forsyth and Bolingbroke. Monroe County is much less developed than Houston County but is still close enough to Macon to be considered kind of an outer suburb and not-very-distant exurb of Macon.

If you might would want to search in other parts of the state, you could also check out other smaller but very important Georgia metros like Savannah, Columbus, Augusta, Athens and Gainesville.

You could also check out the Chattanooga area, which is mostly located in Tennessee but also has some southern suburbs and exurbs in Northwest Georgia.

Old 10-06-2023, 04:34 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Watkinsville - a popular bedroom community for UGA commuters, Watkinsville derives benefits from its proximity to Athens and its access to Oconee County Schools.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watkinsville,_Georgia

Other suggestions would include Woodstock, Canton, Newnan (Atlanta exurbs), La Grange (pretty college town situated between the Atlanta and Columbus metros), Kingsland/St Marys (proximity to the Jacksonville, FL metro), and Valdosta (another underrated college town situated midway between the Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Orlando metros).

Old 10-09-2023, 10:58 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Some areas I like:

Clayton, GA (in the mountains, good schools)
Rome, Ga (foothills of the mountains, LCOL, really cute Main Street, 2 colleges)
Cartersville (an exurb, but in the foothills of the mountains, good access to ATL and Chattanooga, 3 amazing museums)

Admittedly I don't know southern GA that well so I won't comment there.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:07 AM

5 posts, read 3,065 times
Default Depends on your needs

How rural are you looking? Buford is the #1 school district in the state for good reason. It's about 16K population wise so still small town. Without traffic it's less than an hour to ATL. You can also find more rural living in Jefferson or Jackson County or Monroe is up and coming with great home prices.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 1,363 times
Consider cities like Savannah, Augusta, or Macon in Georgia, known for their good communities and schools, ideal for relocation away from Atlanta.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:51 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferKLewis View Post
How rural are you looking? Buford is the #1 school district in the state for good reason. It's about 16K population wise so still small town. Without traffic it's less than an hour to ATL. You can also find more rural living in Jefferson or Jackson County or Monroe is up and coming with great home prices.
Buford, really Gwinnett Co. in general has constant traffic. Especially I85 in Gwinnett. It's an overpopulated suburb with bad road infrastructure. The 400 corridor is much better.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:12 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Buford, really Gwinnett Co. in general has constant traffic. Especially I85 in Gwinnett. It's an overpopulated suburb with bad road infrastructure. The 400 corridor is much better.
While Gwinnett County does indeed have constant traffic like you mentioned during peak traffic times, including and particularly along the I-85 corridor, Gwinnett County doesn’t necessarily have bad road infrastructure.

Gwinnett County just simply seems to not have quite near enough multi-lane arterial road infrastructure to most effectively serve the logistical needs of a heavily populated metropolitan county of just under 1 million residents.

With the explosive growth that North Fulton and Forsyth counties have experienced over the past 3 decades (particularly since the end of the Great Recession), it seems to be challenging to say that the Georgia 400 Freeway corridor will be significantly less congested than the I-85 Northeast corridor and Gwinnett County will be during peak traffic hours.

That’s particularly with the GA400 corridor expecting to experience continued major reconstruction activity over much of the next decade with the planned construction of the GA400 roadway to install about 2-4 toll lanes (possibly along with some Bus Rapid Transit stations and infrastructure) along about a 16-mile stretch of the GA400 corridor between the I-285 and McFarland Parkway interchanges.

Though it should be noted that GA400 roadway doesn’t necessarily have the heavy freight truck traffic that the I-85 roadway has northeast of Atlanta. So GA400 is noticeably better from the standpoint of having noticeably less freight truck traffic than I-85 Northeast.

But even without the heavy amount of freight truck traffic that I-85 carries, GA400 does still feature much very heavy traffic during peak hours because of the explosion of development, population and economic activity along the GA400 corridor through North Fulton and Forsyth counties.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 04-12-2024 at 01:40 PM..

Old 04-12-2024, 01:43 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
While Gwinnett County does indeed have constant traffic like you mentioned during peak traffic times, including and particularly along the I-85 corridor, Gwinnett County doesn’t necessarily have bad road infrastructure.

Gwinnett County just simply seems to not have quite near enough multi-lane arterial road infrastructure to most effectively serve the logistical needs of a heavily populated metropolitan county of just under 1 million residents.

With the explosive growth that North Fulton and Forsyth counties have experienced over the past 3 decades (particularly since the end of the Great Recession), it seems to be challenging to say that the Georgia 400 Freeway corridor will be significantly less congested than the I-85 Northeast corridor and Gwinnett County will be during peak traffic hours.

That’s particularly with the GA400 corridor expecting to experience continued major reconstruction activity over much of the next decade with the planned construction of the GA400 roadway to install about 2-4 toll lanes (possibly along with some Bus Rapid Transit stations and infrastructure) along about a 16-mile stretch of the GA400 corridor between the I-285 and McFarland Parkway interchanges.

Though it should be noted that GA400 roadway doesn’t necessarily have the heavy freight truck traffic that the I-85 roadway has northeast of Atlanta. So GA400 is noticeably better from the standpoint of having noticeably less freight truck traffic than I-85 Northeast.

But even without the heavy amount of freight truck traffic that I-85 carries, GA400 does still feature much very heavy traffic during peak hours because of the explosion of development, population and economic activity along the GA400 corridor through North Fulton and Forsyth counties.
The 400 corridor has seen growth, correct. But there are no trucks and they are working on improving traffic flow, and less potholes than I85. Also, some of the worst accidents are in Gwinnett Co. which they have no problem shutting down the entire I85 interstate for. Even for fender-benders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia