Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
He's your son. You raised him. You taught him his values. It never ceases to amaze me that the concept of reaping what you sow has been lost along the way with the older generation.
Exactly! So much easier to blame the new wife, than take responsibility for the son you raised!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
Quote:
He's your son. You raised him. You taught him his values. It never ceases to amaze me that the concept of reaping what you sow has been lost along the way with the older generation.
Too true! The children reflect the values given to them by their own parents.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,090 times
I do not contact my own parents very often. There are two reasons. First: once on the phone, I cannot get off. Someone may be bleeding and screaming in pain and my mother has "just one more thing to tell me." Most of which is the local gossip and it means nothing to me. If she isn't gossiping then she is complaining how lonely she is since I moved and took away her grandchildren. It is either a gossip fest or a guilt trip.
Secondly: my parents moved out and virtually abandoned me when I was 16. They left my older brother and myself to live in our home while they moved out of town. While they paid the bills (for which I am greatful) they were never supportive of me and even missed my high school graduation because the weather was too bad to make the drive. (it was raining. Not uncommon in South Florida).

Yes, they are reaping what they sowed. They are always welcomed to come here but they don't. We work hard for the money we have, we take nothing from them, we expect nothing from them. I don't want to spend our small vacation budget going to see them every year. I am sorry, but maybe if they had showed a little more family loyalty when I was a kid, they'd get more from me now.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,133 times
Reaping what you so yes! But....occasionally there is the plague of grasshoppers that destroys the entire crop! Example: My twins. One got out on his own after highschool, works hard, never asks for money, comes and visits to do just that...visit, is planning marriage and family with girlfriend which includes both families. The other? Comes running back to Mom and Dad whenever life gets hard (he's not staying with us), asks for money all the time (we don't have extra to give him) and gets mad when we don't. Everytime he wants something that we cannot give, he threatens to not let us see our grandaughter. Both boys raised together with same morals and expectations. Our younger sons do not act like that either. It's not always the parents or "home life". Some kids choose on a conscience level to be jerks. On another note, if your children keep your grandchildren away from you, check your state laws. Some states have Grandparent Rights. It's a drastic approach but one worth checking into.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 AM

218 posts, read 455,063 times
I think anyone who uses their children as a form a punishment to the g-parents are SICK!!! it disgustes me. Do not use your children for such a sick game.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:03 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
I don't keep my kids away from my parents to punish my parents. I do it to protect my kids.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,133 times
Quote:
I don't keep my kids away from my parents to punish my parents. I do it to protect my kids.

That may be so but so many Grandparents are kept from the joy of their grandchildren due to selfishness. If you are keeping your children away for protection that is totally different.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
And many grandparents claim that their grandchildren are being kept away from them for selfishness on the part of the parents, because they are oblivious to their own hurtful/harmful behavior.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
My kids do not like my Mother. She is very strict, and old fashioned. She called my daughter, "a ghetto crack ho" because she was wearing a pair of shorts, with a tank top, and some high heel sandals. All from "Old Navy", hardly inappropriate clothes for a 17 year old girl. She told my son he was a "pervert" because he works with dead bodies, he is majoring in Funeral Science, with a business minor. So, if she does not have a relationship with her grandchildren...it is not because of them...or me...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFE13 View Post
Is there anyone out there suffering the same thing. My son lives 5 hours from us and they never call, don't return calls and we are loosing touch with our grandson. Our sons wife seems to control everything including leaving us out. It really hurts to see the pics on facebook of her family and friends celebrating birthdays and holidays. They seemed to start doing this when we stopped handing out money to them. We have to save for our retirement. It seems to be all about money.
Best way to see your grandson, if you really want to, is just drive over to their place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents