Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times

Advertisements

There will always be differing opinions on this, and that's all they are - opinions. There is a wide spectrum of what is considered normal or acceptable. It depends on the parents, the grandparents, if the baby is nursing or not, cosleeping, or not... do you plan to leave for a weekend once, or do you plan to take 2 week trips w/o the kids quarterly? The OP has found plenty of support. She's not doing anything wrong. You guys are going to get the thread shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
And I'm wondering why, exactly it is "never" a good idea to leave a newborn over night.

One excited and capable grandma might be much better for the baby than 2 overtired, possibly depressed parents.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
They say it differently in Kanada, Canada. Eh?
On topic:

1. You can't be a grandmother or grandfather, without first having been a mother or father. It's a genetic thing

2. If you were a good mom, or dad (or both) then it stands to reason you'll probably be a suitable overnight substitute mom/dad once you're a grandmom/dad.

3. The baby is young enough at 4 months that she won't understand "tomorrow," let alone "3 days." I wouldn't worry about her being traumatized by the absence of her parents for a few days, as long as she is in the loving company of her grandparents during that time. They managed to raise the OP, afterall.

4. "Grandparents" doesn't equate with "90 years old and can't carry a tune, let alone an infant."

Old 05-28-2011, 02:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They say it differently in Kanada, Canada. Eh?
On topic:

1. You can't be a grandmother or grandfather, without first having been a mother or father. It's a genetic thing

2. If you were a good mom, or dad (or both) then it stands to reason you'll probably be a suitable overnight substitute mom/dad once you're a grandmom/dad.

3. The baby is young enough at 4 months that she won't understand "tomorrow," let alone "3 days." I wouldn't worry about her being traumatized by the absence of her parents for a few days, as long as she is in the loving company of her grandparents during that time. They managed to raise the OP, afterall.

4. "Grandparents" doesn't equate with "90 years old and can't carry a tune, let alone an infant."
My kids were very young when my Mom died but she was the worlds best Nana. She adored children and loved my boys to pieces as they did her. She cherished every moment she had with them and as it turned out their moments were cut way too short.

I couldn't be happier that she had the time with them that she did and I didn't deny her that because my kids couldn't leave my side.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:53 PM

117 posts, read 106,495 times
There is nothing wrong in letting the grandparents take care of the newborn. Does it really have to be overnight?. Are you really doing the 60 + year old grandmother a favor by having her watch a newborn overnight? Now the OP states that her newborn sleeps all night which is not the norm for sure. Adult children need to have some consideration for their parents.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classygirl View Post
There is nothing wrong in letting the grandparents take care of the newborn. Does it really have to be overnight?. Are you really doing the 60 + year old grandmother a favor by having her watch a newborn overnight? Now the OP states that her newborn sleeps all night which is not the norm for sure. Adult children need to have some consideration for their parents.
If you've never done it, then by your own logic, you are not qualified to comment.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,209 times
Quote:
Not all grandparents are 60+. And not all 60+ are frail and incapable.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Now you're changing your tune to being concerned about the grandparents. My guess is the grandparents are in their 50s, given the age of the parents. Even if in their early 60s, they're young enough to take care of a baby for 1-3 days and nights.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:09 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,139 times
My ex-inlaws watched my not quite month old daughter for three days while we attended my uncle's funeral out of state. We took our sons with us because they had tendency to become demon children when they were left with their grandparents for extended periods of time.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:21 PM

117 posts, read 106,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Not all grandparents are 60+. And not all 60+ are frail and incapable.

It was just an example Surely, you're not suggesting that I think all grandparents are in their 60's. Now that wouldn't be very smart.
Many grandparents are not going to feel comfortable telling their child that no they cannot watch the baby overnight. The adult children are not showing genuine concern for their own parents by doing this to them.
Leaving the baby overnight because of an emergency is one thing. Leaving a newborn overnight because you feel like taking a vacation is quite another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents