Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 AM

576 posts, read 994,848 times

Advertisements

Just became grandparents for the first time to a beautiful little baby girl, a couple of months ago. We are so over-the-moon smitten with her, its almost like an obsession.

Fortunately the mommy and daddy live close by (about 10 mins. away). And also, fortunately, they have been so good to share.

She is the absolute love of our lives. Of course, this is our first rodeo here. I'm sure it's different, I guess, when it's grandchild #9 or whatever. I don't know, because I don't yet have that perspective.

My husband (the grand dad) and I were talking last night about how much we absolutely adore her, and he mentioned how sad it must be for grandparents whose grandchildren don't live in the same town.

We then began to talk about, and ponder, and neither of us could put our finger on precisely why/how it is that we are so absolutely in love with this little girl. Surely we loved our own children that much, I guess, I hope. But we both agree that we could just sit and stare at her for hours on end, and all she does at this point, is kick and smile, and maybe a few little baby noises that she purposely blurts out.

As he said "it's just different", and yes, you're told that "oh just wait til you have g'children, it's just different".

Well yes it is! But why? What is it that makes it so different?

I can't put my finger on it, what it is.

But it's the best thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 05:31 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,730,403 times
Congratulations on your new grandbaby!

BTW.....it's called love. You probably felt the same way when your kids were born, but that memory dims a bit, I think, until you hold your grandbaby in your arms.

Your daughter and grandbaby are blessed, because not all grandparents feel the same way you do.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Our first and only (so far) just turned two, and I can tell you that it just gets better and better over time. With our youngest being being 26 now it has been along time since we had a little one and I think we do forget how much fun it was, but also, you have the additional pride in your kid being a parent.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:14 PM

576 posts, read 994,848 times
In all else that goes wrong, she is such a ray of sunshine to us. And, what a blessing that she was born to two parents who so willingly share her with us, and live close by.

We took her last night, to our church trunk or treat. She's far too little at this point for any of the festivities that other kids could partake in. But I just can't wait til she is old enough to be running around enjoying all the sights, smells and activities the other kids were enjoying. She was so good. She just seemed to really enjoy being outdoors and all of the stimulation. Hard to tell because she doesn't do a whole lot right now. But she was so content, just kind of looking around as we proudly walked around showing her off.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
I don't know why, but I know the feeling. We have been so blessed to be around our second grandchild from an early age. We adore her. But we also are crazy about our grandson whom we did not get to have a lot of contact with until last year. We love him so much!

The love I feel is totally instinctual. I've never thought about it--just felt it. And with our granddaughter, I felt it so strongly after I saw the first ultrasound. I can't describe it; it was a strong almost painful feeling of love and happiness.

I say, grands are my reward for being old. And I take any chance I can to be with them.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:05 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,358,223 times
Congratulations! DH and I will be first time grandparents, too, in just a few days.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,115,694 times
I think it is because we have all the enjoyment without the responsibility? We can just enjoy them completely without the stress. I don't know if it would be different if our grandkids didn't have good parents because I've been blessed with children that are wonderful parents. Maybe for grandparents who have to worry about their grandchild having good care the love would still be there but so would the stress.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,749,091 times
We have a grandson that is almost two years old and we adore the little guy so much. I guess for us it is having a little mini version of our eldest that we can hold and love again.

Before our Liam arrived there were times when I secretly wished that I could have my grown boys young again, just for ten minutes, since they grew up too fast.

The love of a grand parent is special because we realize that they do grow up fast and this time around we enjoy every moment.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,220,293 times
I just have to stop in and say, as a parent to a 6 and 3 year old, all of you sound like the most wonderful grandparents... talking about your love for your grandkids, it warms my heart.

Unfortunately, we live far away from my husband's parents who are truly terrific; we all miss them dearly. After a lot of disappointment and frustration, I've finally accepted that my mother and father weren't cut out to be involved grandparents so it's lovely and refreshing to hear dedicated grandparents so enthusiastic and passionate about their grandchildren and their spent time with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents