Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've seen on a lot of threads here that a lot of people seem to be pressured by their parents to have kids (especially women). Their parents seem to be dead set on being grandparents.
I can understand wanting to be a grandparent, but pressuring your kids relentlessly to become a parent before they're ready, doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
My kids are 10, 13, and 20.

I have ZERO interest in becoming a grandparent. I am thinking of having another kid with my new husband, though.

He loves his stepkids, but he'd like the whole childrearing experience from birth forward. And, I love kids.

We shall see.

But, grandkids? I will love any my kids ever decide to have. If they choose not to have kids? That's their business.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Essentially, it's all the good things about children with very little of the drawbacks.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,522 times
Immortality.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I would assume a certain percentage want to get even with their kids. Watch as they struggle with their own children, as they struggled with them.
As my own kids are getting ready to fly out of the nest, the idea of little kids (you know the ones who actually think adults know something and actually like spending time with adults ) that I can borrow and return when I'm tired of them sounds fantastic. I don't want to get back at my kids. I want to get back the most enjoyable time in their lives. When they were little and fun. Teenagers are too much work. I'm convinced if they were born teenagers, the human race would die out!!!

I think we all want part of us to continue on as well. If my kids don't have kids, my legacy dies with them. That said, if either one of them decides not to have kids, I'm fine with that but I will be disappointed if they both decide not to have kids. Interestingly, I don't really care if their kids are their biological children. It's not a genetic legacy I'm after. It's passing down family values and traditions. It's being remembered after I'm gone. When I visit my mom's grave, I wonder about the graves that are overgrown. It's sad that no one thinks of them anymore. At least not enough to pull the weeds from around the grave markers. Then again, I doubt I'll care when I'm dead...

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-05-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
After the children grow up you do miss the little ones. Wait until you have grandchildren and you will know. Want me to baby sit them? No problem! When I was a child I was not that close to my grandparents as they lived far away. I hope to be closer to my grandchildren. Does this belong on the parenting forum?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
I've seen on a lot of threads here that a lot of people seem to be pressured by their parents to have kids (especially women). Their parents seem to be dead set on being grandparents.

But I have to ask: why? I can understand wanting kids, I myself would like kids (but not for a long time!!). But I'm pretty indifferent about grandkids.

So what's the deal? You'd think the whole "gotta have little ones" thing would go away after you've produced your litter.
Ask this question when you've already raised your kids....it'll be easier for you to understand. You won't be indifferent when you're older and the sweet little innocent darlings, who know nothing of headgames, but only speak the honest truth come a visiting.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
I MUST have my own grandkids! After all, I could go to jail for scaring someone elses grandkids with my dentures,drawing scary pictures around my bellybutton or going into thier room at night to tell them scary stories!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
It's more of a female thing. I couldn't care less, but my wife is dying for grandkids and has been since our oldest daughter got married. I have managed to keep her from pressuring and that has worked, and now
we have one coming in the fall. For her it's that she misses babies, and
looks forward to being able to play with them and then give them back. And yes, there is some of that desire to see the kids learn what they were like for us.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:

But I have to ask: why? I can understand wanting kids, I myself would like kids (but not for a long time!!). But I'm pretty indifferent about grandkids.

So what's the deal? You'd think the whole "gotta have little ones" thing would go away after you've produced your litter.
Everything in life is about frame of reference.

Meaning what your point of view happens to be and what stage of life your are in.

Things that are important at 20 aren't always the same things that are important at say 50........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents