Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh gosh, Braunwyn, I'd love to say that a steady state will come, but not likely. You just get so much better at managing your time and get so much faster at tasks than you ever thought you'd be.

You are incredibly intelligent, creative and resourceful. When your little one gets to be just a bit older, you will find ways for your little one to entertain themselves, while you accomplish what you need to accomplish in a day.

When I worked outside of the home, I was far more efficient at managing my time, than when I stayed at home. You also reprioritize things in your life. What NEEDS to be done vs what HAS to be done.
When I was out on maternity leave it was more manageable. The chores got done. Losing those 8 hours ant the added responsibilities that come with work make it far more difficult for me. Hiring a cleaning woman is in my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Nah this is BS. The truth is that one or two kids should be that hard. If a parent needs "help" to manage the basics of child rearing, they probably should be asking the right people. The kids!
LOL......yes, because we ALL know that each and every child is exactly alike, much like all of us here at CD. I've said, many a time...."If I had waited for my firstborn to reach his teens, before getting pregnant again, I never would have had a second child." Yeah, unless you're there and you're the one living with a child, you don't know what daily challenges each parent has to deal with.

If parents are unable to handle "the basics of child rearing", and continue to take care of other life tasks, they probably should be talking to people who have experience in those things. Sometimes asking the kids isn't exactly the most wise decision.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When I was out on maternity leave it was more manageable. The chores got done. Losing those 8 hours ant the added responsibilities that come with work make it far more difficult for me. Hiring a cleaning woman is in my future.
Oh how many times I thought about having someone come in once a week! I remember, while growing up, being totally pi$$ed off at the males in my family. Silly me...I used to say, "When I get married and have a family of my own, I will not be the only one doing things around here. Everyone is going to pitch in and do their fair share. I am not going to work full time and be responsible for everything around the home, too...because that's just BS."

Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Silly me! It was my destiny! Actually, we do have a choice. If you choose to hire someone to come in and help you keep up, you're still "getting your duties accomplished", aren't you? I say....girl, if you can afford to have someone in to help, so you can spend a little more time relaxing or just enjoying your little one, you go for it.

Honestly, I wish I'd have done the same, early on in our marriage and parenting days. If I would have hired someone to come in, I would have been less stressed, less resentful and would have spent a bit more one on one with the kids. If I would have hired someone to come in and help, hubby probably would have freaked the h*ll out, but maybe seeing that money leave the household, to pay someone to do what HE could be helping do, would have given him the incentive to do more to help out around the house. As wonderful as he was with the kids, he only really had to deal with the good/fun parts of parenting. He had to "joys" of parenting....mostly, I had the "work" of parenting....and that's not always really joyful.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
LOL......yes, because we ALL know that each and every child is exactly alike, much like all of us here at CD. I've said, many a time...."If I had waited for my firstborn to reach his teens, before getting pregnant again, I never would have had a second child." Yeah, unless you're there and you're the one living with a child, you don't know what daily challenges each parent has to deal with.
Yah, you know I think that is a load of bull. All people are different, different personalities, capabilities. But they are all just people. Parents think that they can wing it, responding moment by moment to the crisis of said moment without figuring out what is going on with their child. And point to the poor kid and call THEM a monster. Kids learn FROM us, not just present themselves fully formed.

Quote:
If parents are unable to handle "the basics of child rearing", and continue to take care of other life tasks, they probably should be talking to people who have experience in those things. Sometimes asking the kids isn't exactly the most wise decision.
We all face the same challenges. But I will agree with you that sometimes it is not a good idea to "ask" them. Always it is a good idea to expect that habit of responsibility and helpfulness. It is worth the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents