Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times

Advertisements

Am I the only grandparent that sees the younger generation unable to cope with their children? I raised two sons. I was a stay at home mom, but I did all the things the working moms could not. My husband and I coached soccer, ran the cub scouts, volunteered at the school....we did it all.

Now I see my kids unable to do everyday tasks because of the kids. My son does put in a full week, with much stress. DIL works but is home early on some days. Today I am asked to come over and watch GS for a few minutes while mom has to pick out paint color for their house. I will gladly do it, but come on. You can't handle a toddler for five minutes to say "OK, that color".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Not that she can't. Probably appreciates a few minutes of peace and quiet. Who wouldnt from a 2 year old?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
She probably just want a moment to think straight without a toddler present. If you're in close proximity she probably figures that you don't mind. Since you do mind then it's up to you to put a stop to it.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
No, I would not say that your own grown children are an accurate reflection of all parents today at all.
Based on your description of their upbringing, perhaps it would have been better had mommy & daddy not done so much for them their entire lives, as is it seems now that is what they just expect.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
The vast majority of posters will not agree with you. But in truth, I do. People have an OVER blown opinion of little kid's needs and an UNDER blown understanding of their capability. If baby cries, then they freak. We all do it with our first newborn. But the idea that eventually Mom and Dad realize that they have been a bit freaky has gone by the by. The idea that a child of 2 needs constant affirmation from someone is nuts.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Yes to posts 2 and 3. That's exactly what she needs. Clear headed decision making without interruptions every five seconds, the kid getting into everything. I have four small kids and I HATE taking them shopping. Slows me down. Sure, if I had one, I could teach them simple things like comparison shopping (looking for lowest price per ounce, or buying larger sizes for economy of scale) if I am on a mission, then having a attention demanding two year old around is a huge challenge.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes to posts 2 and 3. That's exactly what she needs. Clear headed decision making without interruptions every five seconds, the kid getting into everything.

That is the point, I guess. As one establishes the family, as the parent who is responsible for setting expectations, interruptions every five seconds is not necessary. "Mommy is busy right now". And if kid persists, leave. But many parents these days think that baby NEEDS Mamma's attention every time they pester or the kid is going to break.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
My wife and I do a great job raising our three kids, including the youngest with special needs. (pats self on back, lol) However, we do rely a lot upon the fact that we have two sets of active and engaged grandparents. There are times my wife and I will call her mom (who lives close to us) to come over and sit with the kids so we can go grocery shopping. Can we take the kids shopping with us? Absolutely, we do it all the time. I've taken all three, my wife has taken all three. Could we just take some of them? Sure, do that all the time too.

So, why do we ask her mom to sit for something so mundane? Well, with three kids to raise and shuttle between school and activities and me working fulltime (my wife is a SAHM), we don't get much downtime. Money isn't exactly abundant either, so we don't really go out much. As lame as it sounds, going grocery shopping without the kids is a break and kind of a "date" for us.

I would assume that it's not a situation where your DIL is incapable of taking care of her child while picking out a paint color, but that she maybe just needs a little break.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Am I the only grandparent that sees the younger generation unable to cope with their children? I raised two sons. I was a stay at home mom, but I did all the things the working moms could not. My husband and I coached soccer, ran the cub scouts, volunteered at the school....we did it all.

Now I see my kids unable to do everyday tasks because of the kids. My son does put in a full week, with much stress. DIL works but is home early on some days. Today I am asked to come over and watch GS for a few minutes while mom has to pick out paint color for their house. I will gladly do it, but come on. You can't handle a toddler for five minutes to say "OK, that color".

I agree with you. Many parents don't want to cope...they can't be bothered. They would rather be texting their friends, talking on the phone, etc. It's pathetic.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
They will quickly stop having to ask grandparents to help out here and there for the little things if grandparents said "no".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents