Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 PM

21 posts, read 45,741 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about relocating in about 5 years. Right now we live across the country from our daughter and her family(1 grandchild). Our son will be getting married in the next 2 years and will be living near our daughter(he's in the military). Our daughter informed us that they are thinking of moving East and would be a good days drive from us. That still puts us with 1 close by and the other far away. I'm thinking I would like to be closer to them both and our grandchildren(notice that's plural-I'm optimistic). We are leaning more to the Midwest. Does anyone have any regrets not living closer to their family. Both of us were close to our grandparents and parents. I think a 1 day drive certainly beats 4 or 5. Any of us could travel that distance. I would especially like to celebrate holidays together. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,657,474 times
i think a one day (8+ hours) drive is still a bit too far and is unappealing to a lot of people (especially in the winter when the driving is more hazardous). i would try to move even closer if i were you.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:12 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,894,496 times
We're 1500 miles from our 2 children and wonderful grandchildren. It's hard all year but especially this time of year it's painful. The drive is too hazardous in winter and my husband won't fly. I fly back at least once a year and we make a trip in Sept. for a couple of weeks. I cry my eyes out everytime I leave.

They came out this summer-daughter, her 2 friends, her 3 kids and their kids and we had a wonderful time. Our oldest-grandson-came out summer before for 5 weeks.

I call constantly, instant messaging is wonderful.

It's a decision we made to move-due to extremely high NJ taxes-and I wish we moved closer.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 45,741 times
We lived in NJ and taxes are what drove us out. We now live in NH and taxes are going up here, too, though not as bad as NJ. Our daughter is in CA and our son is in NC moving to CA in Feb. or March--he's a Marine. we want to be closer but DON'T want to move to CA. We are still deciding where to go. Like I said in my original post it will be about 5 years before we do anything. We want to be near our kids, but we also want to move where we'll be happy and content. Still, distance is certainly a factor.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:51 PM

52 posts, read 181,996 times
Three of us ended up moving from NJ to parts of Texas. Then my parents retired to Naples, FL. At that time, that's what everyone there seemed to do. Driving down to Naples takes a second day of your trip.

We'd go down almost every year, kids loved the beach. (Those Braniff flight bennies sure are missed) My kids grew up not really knowing my parents while my MIL saw them on a regular basis.

We tried to get my folks to move out here and it took a hurricane to do it. Now they're here enjoying the great grandkids. I wish they could have spent more time together as the kids grew up.

A day's drive is .... a day. When the grandkids start filling their time with activities it prevents some of those possible weekend trips. Get as close as you can.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,530,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for ? View Post
My husband and I are thinking about relocating in about 5 years. Right now we live across the country from our daughter and her family(1 grandchild). Our son will be getting married in the next 2 years and will be living near our daughter(he's in the military). Our daughter informed us that they are thinking of moving East and would be a good days drive from us. That still puts us with 1 close by and the other far away. I'm thinking I would like to be closer to them both and our grandchildren(notice that's plural-I'm optimistic). We are leaning more to the Midwest. Does anyone have any regrets not living closer to their family. Both of us were close to our grandparents and parents. I think a 1 day drive certainly beats 4 or 5. Any of us could travel that distance. I would especially like to celebrate holidays together. Any thoughts?
Oh My YES. We lived in Ca for 25 years and I saw all three of my grandchildren born,Baby sat and went to all their school functions.Oldest Grandson is 16 ,middle 12 and grand daughter is 6. Three years ago we made the foolish choice to move to FL what a mistake I would if we weren't priced out of the housing market in CA move back. We also for Christmas the last three years have them all fly here and spent 5 full days with them but this year we have to go there because the boys have sports and if they miss a practice during winter vacation they have to sit out that many games. So here we are a big home and pool bought so the grandkids would have fun and all for naught. We have just bought a smaller home in NC to cut costs and we will be near an airport hub that our carrier uses so the fairs will be cheaper(don't let anyone say FL is cheap INS is high if you can get it and taxes ae getting higher) and we will be able to visit more often. We are lucky since hubby can work anywhere and NC is the place. It reminds us of CA with the mountains.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:59 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,516,289 times
Dont know where the kids are in CA but there are lots of places that are closer like Nevada, Arizona, etc. Just a couple of examples that would be closer and less expensive than CA.

We live a 12 hour drive from our parents and it is way too far for more than one or two trips a year. Too bad since we could do so much more for them. Note that we are in the Midwest and have parents in NY and CA. Too far both directions. Winter driving is out since we have driven thru too many blizzards and ice storms. Enough for a whole lifetime. Now our trips are in the spring and fall.

Note: Dont move just to be close if there is a chance the kids may move. Or set yourself up to be able to move with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents