Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:37 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,427,077 times

Advertisements

OP I would offer apologies or the slights that she harps on, so you both can move on. It obviously bothers her. I would let her know that you love her and did the best that you could. Everyone makes mistakes.

I would even find out the name of the book and replace it. That would be very sweet. maybe give it to her children. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 23 days ago)

16,149 posts, read 21,299,413 times
Also I think that selling your kids favorite book at a yard sale is maybe not that trivial. How would you feel to come home and find out that while you were at work your SO donated your favorite purse or pair of shoes to the local charity without asking you, and then dismissed your feelings about it as not a big deal?

Old 02-22-2015, 09:56 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,038,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's good that your boys will complain if they have an issue...for many....that just isn't an option when growing up.

The book and pants are just part of the whole thing....it's something concrete that can be pointed to (even if the OP dismisses it).....parents like this are the "death of a thousand paper cuts". No one thing seems all that big....but they add up...and eventually the blood loss is too much....especially when none of them are acknowledged.

No....the daughter has had adversity in her life...starting with her mother. It's really dismissive of you to think otherwise. You really need to watch that.
Says you?

Maybe I'm fortunate in that I have no lingering hurts from childhood. Or, maybe I'm just more mature than the OP's daughter, in that I recognize my parents did the best they could.

I'm done here, it seems I'm in the minority. I wish you the best OP.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,192,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Says you?

Maybe I'm fortunate in that I have no lingering hurts from childhood. Or, maybe I'm just more mature than the OP's daughter, in that I recognize my parents did the best they could.

I guess I will join you in the minority. Reading this post made me think of my older sister that is almost 50. She does the same thing with my mother. Sure we didnt have the best childhood and my mom made mistakes. There are things that stung that happened to me as well but I got over it. My sister continues to dwell on it. My mother has acknowledged and apologized, this seem stop pacify my sister short term but is always looking for a problem. She wants to have tension.

So I guess my question to the OP is, has this just started or has your daughter always been this way?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:54 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,498,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

I think I've changed my opinion on this. Mattie makes a good point. The behavior from the daughter does seem awfully juvenile for a 50 year old woman. Parenting is challenging, all of us are going to make mistakes, say and do things that we shouldn't have. When you're under the stress of trying to raise several kids, manage a household, work two jobs, pay the mortgage or whatever else, these things are relatively petty from an adult perspective. When you become an adult, you should recognize that. At the end of the day, we're not talking about an abusive or neglectful situation here. It's a bit unfair to bring these things up so many years later.
I believe the OP when she says she did the best she could, and I think the daughter should keep in mind how many sacrifices the OP likely had to make so that she could have the childhood she was provided.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,269,062 times
I notice one thing, whether you think the daughter's feelings are justified or not, no one here seems to think the daughter's stories aren't true, like the op does.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,732,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I notice one thing, whether you think the daughter's feelings are justified or not, no one here seems to think the daughter's stories aren't true, like the op does.
I guess people that don't deal with this can't se what a huge difference that makes.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,427,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I think I've changed my opinion on this. Mattie makes a good point. The behavior from the daughter does seem awfully juvenile for a 50 year old woman. Parenting is challenging, all of us are going to make mistakes, say and do things that we shouldn't have. When you're under the stress of trying to raise several kids, manage a household, work two jobs, pay the mortgage or whatever else, these things are relatively petty from an adult perspective. When you become an adult, you should recognize that. At the end of the day, we're not talking about an abusive or neglectful situation here. It's a bit unfair to bring these things up so many years later.
I believe the OP when she says she did the best she could, and I think the daughter should keep in mind how many sacrifices the OP likely had to make so that she could have the childhood she was provided.
The daughters hurt is probably like the death by a thousand cuts. Each "cut" is very small, but they add up to major trauma. I think the mom should make amends for the slights so they can move past the issue. If her child is in her fifties, time is running out for the OP. A good conversation could do a great deal to fix their relationship.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,498,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
The daughters hurt is probably like the death by a thousand cuts. Each "cut" is very small, but they add up to major trauma. I think the mom should make amends for the slights so they can move past the issue. If her child is in her fifties, time is running out for the OP. A good conversation could do a great deal to fix their relationship.
I agree they need to have a conversation. I also think at 50 years old, the daughter should be mature enough to broach the subject directly rather than make subtle snide remarks.
In this instance, as the OP has described, it looks like a case where the daughter disagreed with her mother's judgment on some occasions. These weren't malicious acts. She didn't humiliate her daughter, call her names or deprive her of necessities. I just have to wonder where it all ends. "You didn't let me go to that party when I was 13" Is that a cut? "You didn't buy me the dress I wanted" Is that a cut?
Is it fair to harbor resentment against a parent, not because they deliberately hurt you, but simply because you disagreed with a decision they made? I really don't think so.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 23 days ago)

16,149 posts, read 21,299,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I agree they need to have a conversation. I also think at 50 years old, the daughter should be mature enough to broach the subject directly rather than make subtle snide remarks.
In this instance, as the OP has described, it looks like a case where the daughter disagreed with her mother's judgment on some occasions. These weren't malicious acts. She didn't humiliate her daughter, call her names or deprive her of necessities. I just have to wonder where it all ends. "You didn't let me go to that party when I was 13" Is that a cut? "You didn't buy me the dress I wanted" Is that a cut?
Is it fair to harbor resentment against a parent, not because they deliberately hurt you, but simply because you disagreed with a decision they made? I really don't think so.
We don't have the whole story, but it sounds to me as though the daughter may harbor resentment because her mother was dismissive of her feelings. Mother trivializes the incidents as not important.
Maybe I'm odd but I happen to know what my daughters favorite book was as a child and it would never have occurred to me to get rid of it without asking her (she's in her twenties now and that book still sits on her bookshelf, lol). IMO that just sends a message to your child that they are unimportant, unworthy of consideration. I can see how that could fester, especially if it was a message that was repeated over and over with numerous small acts of that sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents