Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 PM

303 posts, read 980,406 times

Advertisements

What a great memory for grandma and all! Outstanding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
rhea, I can very easily imagine the joy grandma has with the gifts of love you gave her..

Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,426 times
Sounds like you had a great time and you are very lucky she is in your lives and gets along so well w/you! this is an idea for later when the baby is talking, last year sometime, I had an 8x10 photo taken of our boy and found a small recorder at a frame shop. He recorded a message, Hi grandma, this is joey, I love you. I then glued the small recorder to the photo, now his grandma presses it & can HEAR him every time she gets lonely for him.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,632 times
What about a Timeline?

try timeofyourlifememories.com

I bought a timeline for my aunt last year and she was very busy and fond of the gift. The gift was very detailed. The topics they have are few. Hopefully they'll have something you like.

EDIT********************
Ooops I should have read all comments before posting. That was a good idea Rhea.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,887 times
i didnt read the whole thread so forgive me if i repeat some else's suggestion:
my parents and inlaws LOVED the fact hat we gave them both a print of every picture we took for the first year. my parents have a pc, so i email them pics all the time but my mom wanted the hard copy. so for his first christmas, he was 8 months old and i printed up all the pics through shutterfly. it costs $.19...
but you dont have to do every picture, and it is a "cheap gift" just the photo book and the pictures...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 42,936 times
Wink What to do for grandma....

I have 2 fabulous grandkids we raised and am no longer allowed to see. The gift I treasure the most is photos... of them and of me with them. We helped our daughter out financially as much as we could, probably more than we should have as she was and is ungrateful. Spending time with those babies is absolutely priceless. Remember a grandparent's love is very different from a parent's love. As a grandparent you "have a chance to get it right the second time" and you have more patience and time. The kids treasure that as that is what makes memories for them and for grandparents. The parents should be grateful that grandparents are loving and willing to share their time and not resent it, as my daughter did. WHen the kids were sick, they wanted me... I could and did drop everything, to cuddle and care for them. That's what grandparents are for. My granddaughter wrote a story in 1st grade about her and grandpa going fishing when she was 4... something we didn't think she would remember!. I have a sign that says "grandparents do not know no" .... Be grateful for your baby's grandparents... you never know how long you get to have them.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 PM

303 posts, read 980,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtfingers View Post
I have 2 fabulous grandkids we raised and am no longer allowed to see. The gift I treasure the most is photos... of them and of me with them. We helped our daughter out financially as much as we could, probably more than we should have as she was and is ungrateful. Spending time with those babies is absolutely priceless. Remember a grandparent's love is very different from a parent's love. As a grandparent you "have a chance to get it right the second time" and you have more patience and time. The kids treasure that as that is what makes memories for them and for grandparents. The parents should be grateful that grandparents are loving and willing to share their time and not resent it, as my daughter did. WHen the kids were sick, they wanted me... I could and did drop everything, to cuddle and care for them. That's what grandparents are for. My granddaughter wrote a story in 1st grade about her and grandpa going fishing when she was 4... something we didn't think she would remember!. I have a sign that says "grandparents do not know no" .... Be grateful for your baby's grandparents... you never know how long you get to have them.
I don't know what went wrong in your adult childs relationship with you but that is so very sad and I am deeply sorry. Isn't there a way you can repair the strain. I imagin the children are suffering from their lost time with you.

I agree with your "second chance" statement and oh so very true. My wife was a stay at home wife and I worked 7 days a week to make ends meet and tried to fit in quality time when I could but it was never enough. If I could go back in time that would be great, but I cherish my grandchildren now and have learned much even about babies for the first time 6 years ago. Now I am blessed with helping raise our 8 month old.The last 10 years have been so rewarding for me personally.

I am so sad for you and hope things work out for everyones sake.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
My grandma loves decorative detail dishware/china. Last Christmas I got her a decorative blue and white platter. She loves it! Every time she has the family over she uses it. I think this year I will get her the matching pitcher. So it keeps adding on to her collection. It's called the "Fruits of Labor" decorative collection by Kohler at [url=http://bit.ly/aOs8z1]Plates Bowls & Holders - Decorative Accessories - Decor : OneClickDirect.com[/url]

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,445 times
One year when my girls were little I made my step-father a sweat shirt to wear with their hand prints on it. It was really inexpensive. Just a plain sweat shirt at Wal Mart and some fabric paint. I wrote on it "This is our Papa Merry Christmas 2000" HE LOVED IT. Just put their hands in the paint and put them on the shirt. It wasn't to messy and they had fun with it.

My father loved air fresheners. One year when we didn't have alot of money I took several snap shots of my daughters. I got 8-9 of the little picture frames at the dollar store. I found some Christmas fabric on sale and made a really long braid with it. I made some bundles of spices (Cinnamon, cloves, ect) that I had in the cabinet, using the same type cloth. I tied the bundles of spices in between the pictures of the girls that I hot glued to the braid. It hung in his house till the day he passed away. He put it in a doorway so every time he walked through he would wack it and make it smell good.. bring back the memories he said. After several years I replaced the spices for him so they smelled better again.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 442 times
Default gift ideas for grandma (gifts, old, child, first)

If you want to give her something special, then present her a custom-made collage of images of your entire family from the youth of your grandmother and your father. She will enjoy it because it will allow her to revisit those memories.Purchase a new dress for her and take her somewhere special with you, such as a temple, a relative's house, or a mall in your family. You can also prepare a special supper for her at home or a restaurant before you sleep with her. Then, before seeing her favorite movie, we spent some quality time together. I believe she will remember this wonderful day with you for the rest of her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents