Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you see your children or grandchildren?
Daily 4 23.53%
Weekly 3 17.65%
Monthly 4 23.53%
Twice a Year 2 11.76%
Once a Year 2 11.76%
Who? 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 06:25 AM

862 posts, read 974,956 times

Advertisements

If you would like to see your grankids more one suggestion is money talks, my wife's father who never spent any money on the my kids, no cards at birthday's or Christmas so we do not go out of our way and to be honest he is a stranger to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 06:29 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
My daughter and granddaughter are going to be here today! They live in CA. I live in NC. I moved here in 1999 to be closer to my parents who moved here a few years before I did.

I don't like flying anymore, they were coming in August last year and daughter got covid, so it's been almost 2 years since I've seen them and granddaughter will be 13 in June. She got a credit on the plane fair for covid and had till today to use it. My Dad is here next to me and is 94, so it's wonderful he gets to see his granddaughter and great granddaughter.

Basically once a year.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:33 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Daily. Babysit my granddaughter, they live about an hour away but they have no issue driving that hour so i can watch her during the day (18 months old).

Old 04-14-2023, 09:53 PM

537 posts, read 392,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgeesh View Post
How often do you see your children or grandchildren? Do you want to see them more or do they want you to see them more?

Do you wish you would have done it differently? Moved closer or moved farther away?
My son lives just 16 minutes away from us. I see him once or twice a week which I love. He typically has one week day off each week and Saturday off too. I have lunch with him weekly on the week day he is off. Love this. Saturday is a date night for him with his significant other, and we maybe see both of them about once a month.

He's in his late 20s and really more in the just starting out stage. I can't really answer the other questions because he was living at home for some time and is now just 16 minutes away from us.

I really don't know what the future will hold, but I am enjoying the present.

Now I'll talk about me and my parents.

I usually just saw my wonderful parents about three or four times a year because of living so far away. This year I saw my dad in February. And DH and I will be visiting him in July and DH and I will visit him over Thanksgiving too. Each time staying for three nights.

We used to do a week long vacation annually with them and my brother's family, but at 86 now dad while life is still really good doesn't want to travel. I am keeping up with tradition with the next generation with DS.

I always felt super close to them though and talked multiple times a week on the phone. My wonderful mother passed away four years ago. My dad lives six hours away in his own home. I talk to him five days a week for a 1/2 hour on my morning dog walk before getting online for my job and that really helps me to feel close to him.

It would have been nice to live closer, but we moved for job opportunities. And we are settled in our community and where we live. And dad has connections and dear friends where he lives. Both of us have better quality of life where we are vs. living near each other. If dad needed our help more though he says he's lived his live and would move closer to either me or my brother in independent or assisted living and doesn't think the other way around makes sense with our being established and enjoying where we are.

No regrets for any of us on anything. And we can always change things up if we think something else would be better.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:47 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I see my oldest son and his wife every week because we live in the same town. When my youngest lived in the states I saw him 3-4 times a year. Now that he works in Vietnam it’s every year or two. We all get along and love being together. I don’t have any grandkids.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:09 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Currently our son wants to bring the children over once a week. We are happy with that as is he.

We will spend two months in another state visiting our daughter and grandson as per her invitation.

Had I had known what I know now we would not have moved to AZ but I can’t live with regret because the grandchildren are such fun and so sweet. Moving here was a risk, and it didn’t pan out the way I’d hoped but am blessed and grateful enough not to fall into thoughts of regret.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
My youngest grand still lives with me. His mom dumped them when they were 12 and 16 so they and their dad lived with me. He moved out for awhile but is going to college, so he moved back to save money. I see my oldest grand several times a week. He comes over for the home cooking mostly.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:32 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
I see youngest daughter (31, single and childless) daily...we work for the same school district. I visit oldest daughter (37) and my two grandsons, ages 9 and 6 (who live 45 minutes away) two weekends a month during the school year.. More often during the summer. We're taking the boys on a spring camping trip next weekend!!!! I'm bringing the smore fixings.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I see youngest daughter (31, single and childless) daily...we work for the same school district. I visit oldest daughter (37) and my two grandsons, ages 9 and 6 (who live 45 minutes away) two weekends a month during the school year.. More often during the summer. We're taking the boys on a spring camping trip next weekend!!!! I'm bringing the smore fixings.
That sounds like fun. I wish mine were that age again.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:02 AM

3,506 posts, read 762,448 times
iv`e seen my son twice in 20 years and once was to borrow money i knew i would never get back and ten years later to cuss me out cause i would not give him more .. i have a grandchild i have never seen and probably wont unless i live long enuff for her to find me on her own .. that may take a dozen more years .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents