Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 12:35 PM

12 posts, read 4,701 times

Advertisements

My parents are still a little anti-tech and don't really want to have too much to do with it. But if they would become a little more tech-savvy it would make organisation much easier for the rest of the family. Any tips or stories on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 12:37 PM

Default Teaching a senior how to use a smartphone?

I am currently trying to get my parents regularly use and wear the iPhone I bought for them. Any tips and tricks how to make them wear it more often and therefore answer my calls?

Old 02-02-2024, 12:43 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Depends on how you approach them. Are you demanding or just using it around them?And how old are your parents?

Old 02-02-2024, 12:48 PM

Currently I call them every now and then to see how they are doing. But of course it would be nice to sometimes just sent them a WhatsApp... if they would respond (i.e. use their phones a little more often). My parents are 69 and 71.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:04 PM

Okay, I don’t do WhatsApp and I’m 69. But I even built PCs up to about 10 years ago, installed software, did security on computers, then a medical condition got in the way.

But just because they don’t use a popular app doesn’t make them less than tech savvy. I avoided FB forever, I still don’t like it. But I run my own forum. Don’t do X or whatever they are calling Twitter these days.

I know I actually prefer using a phone. Took me forever to learn to text. Be patient. And sometimes being there in person helps.

From the way you were talking, I thought they were in their 90’s.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:41 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I am not clear on whether you are trying to "teach them to use it," i.e. master the various functions, or teach them to use it, meaning actually use the darned thing and answer your calls or texts,

I have no advice for the first issue. If they want to know how to do something, they will ask. As for the second, the only thing that worked for my mother-in-law was when she unfortunately missed out on some fun event like meeting an old friend who was in town or going out for a meal with the grandkids, because she wasn't looking at her phone and never saw / heard our message. Then she realized pretty fast that she really wanted to keep the phone around and look at it once in a while.

Also, not that you can orchestrate an emergency, but when my MIL locked herself out of the house on a rainy winter morning, she was so grateful that she DID have her phone with her, that I don't think it's left her body since.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:41 PM

If they don’t see a need, nothing much will help. Do they still have a landline? If so, just use it. I know it’s old school but it’s their technology.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:50 PM

504 posts, read 258,405 times
Might keep in mind that as some of us get older it is harder to see small text and "hit" those small buttons on the screen. It can be quite frustrating.

I am middle-aged ( 76 ) but find my Ooma headset ( like a land-line only through my internet connection ) much easier to use than my cell phone, so I give out the Ooma number instead and it automatically rings through to my cell phone if I don't answer.

Also, for me, using cell phone "texting" is somehow easier than voice, so much rather get a voice call on the Ooma. When in the car the cellphone plays through the car's nevigation screen and I can use voice commands.

Even so, it can all be a bit more complicated than comfortable.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:03 PM

23,251 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Remember K.I.S.S. Sometimes simpler is better. If the phone you selected is too complicated they'll be less likely to learn how to use it. They may not have any interest in fascinating technology you like. No reason why they should. Not everyone wants to be chained to a phone all the time either. If they're likely to need quick response in an emergency there are wearable emergency response pendants/bracelets they could wear instead. A lot lighter and less hassle than a cellphone!

There are cellphones designed with seniors in mind...straightforward functions, no complicated fancy apps, bigger easy read keys, auto dial pre-sets you could set up so they don't have to. One example:

https://www.livelydirect.com/?ga_sou...tterbug&media9

Make sure the phone can still retain memory of those settings if/when they forget to charge the battery. If they're used to a land line, the one new important habit they'll need to adopt is paying attention and keeping the phone charged! I know it was for me. Land line phones in all my previous houses required almost no attention at all. My current house never had a land line so I had to switch to cell. It was a big adjustment remembering to check and keep it charged. Darned thing was always dead when I wanted to use it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-02-2024 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-02-2024, 02:50 PM

1,192 posts, read 615,484 times
I would get them a Jitterbug, it's like a landline but still a cell. Much easier for a senior to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents