Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
For some reason all this reminds me of those other bunch of fanatics, the ones obsessed with the middle east. I'm talking about the Americans who continually "fan the flames", by heading over to Israel and deliberately building settlements in the Palestinian West bank (in violation of international law & the Oslo Accord).
And the Rachel Corries who, although on the opposite side, are equally obsessed with their delusions.

Quote:
And then there's their equally whacko "cousins", the Evangelical Christians who fanatically support Israel.... because the bible says it's essential to bringing about the Apocalypse!
Not to mention the professional WTO protesters who travel internationally by jet, circling the globe to express their righteous anger at the wealthy manipulators of finance and despoliers of the environment...

Hypocrisy so think you can cut it with a brick....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
In the past, during the Soviet era, I can see the logic of the Cuban embargo.

Nowadays a gradual lifting of that embargo is not only a sensible thing to do; but I believe it is also in the best interests of the United States.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Are you old enough to remember when Castro first took over the government? The nightly news showing videos of rows of Cuban citizens standing in front of ditches, the machine guns going off and the bodies falling in the ditches? The people tortured and killed by Che Guevara?

As long as his government is in power will never go there and no matter how much BS Michael Moore puts out that it's a great country "for the people"

Freedom of choice, people here in America follow the laws of the land as long as it suits them and don't think twice about breaking a law if it suits them. So it doesn't mean squat that the government has laws pertaining to Cuba.
Interesting, after the American Revolution, Tories met a similar fate. Is this a "don't do as I do, do as I say" thing?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Part of "singling out Cuba" has to do with the enthusiastic willingness of the homicidal maniac who remains the dictator of that pathetic country -- an enthusiasm which he has never recanted, by the way -- to provide bases for Soviet nuclear missiles aimed at the United States.

When Cuba gives up its half-century of mendacious institutionalized loathing for America, its paranoid manipulation and thought-control of its people, and its loathsome embrace of the worst kind of Stalinist repression, then and only then should America accept an apology for its having threatened our nation with nuclear war, agree to remove the embargo, and let them make underwear and cheap trinkets for Walmart, clean our toilets, and send their university students here to learn how to use the Internet without worrying about the secret police.

In return, perhaps the Cubans will consent to offer Michael Moore gastric bypass surgery with unsterilized instruments. Talk about win-win...
I see that you have bought the propaganda hook,line and sinker.

At the time that the USSR was placing those missles in Cuba the USA had Nuclear weapons on the Russian border for thousands of miles. Every little artillery station even had nuclear shells to whomp those Ruskies with. Tell me?? Why shouldn't the Russians give the USA a little tit for tat. While the Russians put up with the USA surrounding them the Americans go Mental when the same treatment is given to them even though it was only .1% of what the USA was doing to Russia.

I'll bet that you have never been in Cuba and you don't have a clue what you are talking about. My family spends a lot of time there and my sister and her husband are going to retire there after visiting all the surrounding countries to find out where would be best for them.

By far most of the people support the revolution because things for the average Cuban are better than they have ever been. The USA can support the country when a bloodthirsty dictator is in control with organized American crime rampant in the country. AS long as the USA can exploit a country in some way they will be the best of friends. But don't dare do something to make things better for your people or the USA will be down your neck in a hurry.

Take a good look at who the USA supports around the world and you will see that many are far worse than Cuba in just so many ways.
After what the USA did in Central America with their support of the Contras it will be a long long time before the people of this region forget that crime against humanity.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I see that you have bought the propaganda hook,line and sinker.

At the time that the USSR was placing those missles in Cuba the USA had Nuclear weapons on the Russian border for thousands of miles. Every little artillery station even had nuclear shells to whomp those Ruskies with. Tell me?? Why shouldn't the Russians give the USA a little tit for tat. While the Russians put up with the USA surrounding them the Americans go Mental when the same treatment is given to them even though it was only .1% of what the USA was doing to Russia.

I'll bet that you have never been in Cuba and you don't have a clue what you are talking about. My family spends a lot of time there and my sister and her husband are going to retire there after visiting all the surrounding countries to find out where would be best for them.

By far most of the people support the revolution because things for the average Cuban are better than they have ever been. The USA can support the country when a bloodthirsty dictator is in control with organized American crime rampant in the country. AS long as the USA can exploit a country in some way they will be the best of friends. But don't dare do something to make things better for your people or the USA will be down your neck in a hurry.

Take a good look at who the USA supports around the world and you will see that many are far worse than Cuba in just so many ways.
After what the USA did in Central America with their support of the Contras it will be a long long time before the people of this region forget that crime against humanity.
Excellent post! It is crazy that so many people in this country are so strongly against Cuba just because our government says they are bad, without really knowing anything about the place. What happened in the past is what it is- but we certainly are not punishing other countries for things they did 40 years ago, why Cuba? And the idea of our government telling us where we can and cannot travel- no way, they cannot and will not do that. I will go where I want to go. Embargo should be lifted immediately- it would benefit the people of Cuba and would benefit the US as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Quote:
I see no reason to permit travel to Cuba by those Americans who wish to enrich the Castro boys and provide hard currency for that prison-nation
Well, that's an interesting comment. It begins with an assumption that the US government has a "veto" right over your own foreign travel, and that of any other US citizen. Is that right? Is that something you support? Are you comfortable giving the federal government that type of authority?

Second, you get into a "collateral enrichment" argument that can be applied to a huge range of other areas. For example, every time you buy a petroleum product, you are - of course - enriching nations like Iran and Saudi Arabia (and to some extent, Cuba itself). This argument can be applied to nearly anything, since it turns out that lots of unsavory people and governments have extensive financial interests or investments in areas you might not even expect.

Also, it seems to assume that foreign tourism will necessarily help out the ruling regime. But what is the proof of that? Iran under the Shah had lots of income from foreign tourism, but it collapsed anyway. North Korea has very little income from tourism, but its regime has persisted for 60 years.

In other situations where tourism might have enriched unsavory regimes, the US government didn't take the "Cuba approach" - for example, Burma's military regime controls many aspects of the tourist trade within Burma. You can't really take a train or stay in a hotel there without the regime taking its cut from your fees.

But banning Americans from visiting Burma was never really proposed as an option, since it simply wouldn't have done anything useful.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 PM

254 posts, read 590,708 times
The embargo creates poverty and resentment... it is simply a display of power so that other countries do not dare to oppose the US ideals and goals. To condemn US citizens from visiting the country is as bad as any dictatorship imposition. Go, visit Cuba and make your own mind, not what the government tells you.

Yes, they did put missiles pointing at the US, but then again those were Russian and I don't and did not see an embargo on Russia.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
The main problem is that the whole policy re: Cuba is being driven by politically-connected fanatics and terrorists, which the Feds continue to turn a blind eye towards, for the sake of expediency.

The coddled terrorists of South Florida: Anti-Castro Cuban exiles who have been linked to bombings and assassinations are living free in Miami.

And no doubt if you talk to any of the "trainees" at the Alpha 66 Camp in Florida, you'll likely hear much the same rabid (and dated) rhetoric, about Cuba as a "loathsome" and "fly-infested garbage heap" run by a "homicidal maniac" and "Stalinist politicians", blah-blah....!

Unfortunately it was no laughing matter for Luciano Nieves, another exile for instance, who was killed for advocating peaceful coexistence with Cuba. And WQBA-AM news director Emilio Milian lost his legs in a car bomb after he publicly condemned Cuban exile violence. In 1992 Human Rights Watch released a report in which they claimed that the more extreme exiles have created a political environment in Miami where "moderation can be a dangerous position."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2iYKSpzCM&feature=fvw

Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
To me, its pathetic.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 PM

613 posts, read 814,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Are you old enough to remember when Castro first took over the government? The nightly news showing videos of rows of Cuban citizens standing in front of ditches, the machine guns going off and the bodies falling in the ditches? The people tortured and killed by Che Guevara?

As long as his government is in power will never go there and no matter how much BS Michael Moore puts out that it's a great country "for the people"

Freedom of choice, people here in America follow the laws of the land as long as it suits them and don't think twice about breaking a law if it suits them. So it doesn't mean squat that the government has laws pertaining to Cuba.
I was born, but too young to be aware of the Cuban revolution. I have never seen those videos. If I had, I would surely feel the same way about visiting Cuba as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates