Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:35 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you are putting the cart before the horse, not thinking ahead and not seeing the big picture.

Did people in USA stop eating in Japanese restaurants during WW2?

Oh, wait, I guess they couldn't eat where there wouldn't have been any such thing. All the Japanese-American citizens and Japanese-Canadian citizens were rounded up, had their businesses closed, their properties taken away from them and they were imprisoned in the American and Canadian equivalents of POW concentration camps. So I guess there couldn't have been any real Japanese restaurants then.

If USA goes to war with China will the same thing happen to all of USA's Chinese-American citizens? Properties confiscated, businesses closed and the people put away in concentration camps? Will that happen with even the thousands of Chinese-American citizens whose families have been loyal, patriotic citizens of America for over 200 years?

In answer to your question, if USA goes to war with China there probably won't be any Chinese owned and operated restaurants for you to eat at, because I think we all know what will likely happen to those citizens.

As a Chinese American, I am very, very worried about any fallout when country to country relations involving the US and an Asian country go sour - because we get the fallout. And this isn't limited to Asian Americans who are descended from the country in question - if we even look like them, we're under suspicion.

Besides the shameful example of Japanese Americans being incarcerated during WWII, I can point to the murder of Chinese American Vincent Chin by two Detroit autoworkers in the 1980s at a time when the US had trade tensions with Japan.

Or the Wen Ho Lee incident in the era when Space Systems Loral was accused of passing technology secrets to China. After that, many Asian Americans who worked in defense labs and research were under suspicion or had their careers derailed.

Or the Sikh gas station owner who was killed right after 9-11 because he "looked Muslim".

Old 06-03-2017, 10:22 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Actually, that's exactly what you said by saying "we would be killing ethnic Chinese" and that it is just a fact of war. Why would we be killing ethnic Chinese here in the states if we went to war with China? You can try and spin your way out of it, but everyone here knew exactly what you meant when you typed your original post.
What your saying is ridiculous. It is obvious to anyone with an average(or even less than average) reading ability that I was talking about army personal killing each other and not killing Chinese americans. Everyone knows that I wasn't talking about the persecution of ethnic Chinese in America. For one thing city-data would never allow on this forum any suggestion by someone of killing anyone. Do you think that the moderators don't know how to interpret things. People have been taken off this forum for far less than talking about killing some one. Go ahead and try to spin your way out of your ridiculous interpretation of my original op. but everyone knows that I never intended harm on ethnic Chinese or any other ethnic group.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:37 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Beef and Broccoli isn't real Chinese food. Lol! It's Americanized. I found out the hard way when I was in college and told a Chinese student my favorite Chinese food was Beef and Broccoli. She had never heard of it. Another Chinese student only knew what broccoli was because she worked in a local restaurant.
Just about everything on the menu is American-Chinese. A visitor from China wouldn't recognize much - and those name they recognize would not taste the same as the visitor would expect.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
As a Chinese American, I am very, very worried about any fallout when country to country relations involving the US and an Asian country go sour - because we get the fallout. And this isn't limited to Asian Americans who are descended from the country in question - if we even look like them, we're under suspicion. ******
Or the Sikh gas station owner who was killed right after 9-11 because he "looked Muslim".
I think Chinese-Americans have been here through enough generations that no one suspects them of involvement in the PRC's actions. In the case of the bigotry against people looking Middle Eastern they are of far more recent vintage and many have not involved themselves in U.S. life. There is zero similarity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
How in the blue hell has this topic made it to 11 pages?
There's a lot to say on this very profound subject. But for me it's six pages.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
What your saying is ridiculous. It is obvious to anyone with an average(or even less than average) reading ability that I was talking about army personal killing each other and not killing Chinese americans. Everyone knows that I wasn't talking about the persecution of ethnic Chinese in America. For one thing city-data would never allow on this forum any suggestion by someone of killing anyone. Do you think that the moderators don't know how to interpret things. People have been taken off this forum for far less than talking about killing some one. Go ahead and try to spin your way out of your ridiculous interpretation of my original op. but everyone knows that I never intended harm on ethnic Chinese or any other ethnic group.
You are so full of it. Not once in your post did you mention the Army. You said "we" and then mention Chinese restaurant workers. No military at all being referenced. You are just trying to back pedal.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Just about everything on the menu is American-Chinese. A visitor from China wouldn't recognize much - and those name they recognize would not taste the same as the visitor would expect.
General Tso conquered the US menu! There's a documentary to that effect on Netflix

Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
General Tso conquered the US menu! There's a documentary to that effect on Netflix
General Tso used to be very spicy and had lots of broccoli mixed in. Now in most of the places I go, it is just "candied" chicken chunks with a sprig or two of broccoli. Chicken covered in sugar - very American indeed.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:25 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
if U.S. got into a war with China would you eat in Chinese restaurants?
The OP writer is "not a member." I am replying to the rather meritorious thread title rather than the post, which appears to concern bizarre side issues.

In many though definitely not all cases, people who move to the U.S. do so to escape the madness and insanity that is typical of much of the rest of the world. The Chinese have come for opportunity and to escape governments that have, for all but very brief intervals, been totalitarian. The Han Empire, the Kuomintang and China under communism are not good places for free thinking, motivated or intelligent people. Thus, the person owning or working at a Chinese restaurant is likely allied.

I know this is an old thread, but I find the issue compelling. I am of mixed Slovak/Hungarian, Ukrainian and Polish descent. One thing I will tell you is that Lena and Jacob O., or the parents of Ben G. would have no sympathy for their mother countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates