Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 06:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Will the US have mass riots?

Thoughts?
Nope

We were #1 in mass riots 50 years ago.

But today, millions aren't being conscripted to be sent off to a seriously flawed and unpopular war, #1.

And #2, racial tensions today are nowhere near as volatile as then.

Regarding the 2020 election, the most we'll see is a few street demonstrations, if that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 08:05 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

If I had to guess what would spark riots in the US, I think it would be the next presidential election and I don’t think it will matter which side wins. Thoughts?
If we had a normal President this would not be an issue. this man has called for Civil war if he is impeached which is against the preamble which says The Constitution is meant to insure Domestic Tranquility.

Trump has no respect for law or the Constitution and he is a wannabe dictator.

I don't think there will be riots until Trump refuses to leave if impeached and found guilty by the Senate or if he refuses to leave if he loses in 2020.

Hopefully the people in government with level heads will throw him in jail and the fairly elected President will take over. Otherwise there will and should be riots if Trump appoints himself King and does what he claims legal impeachment is when he calls it a coup.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
I definitely see some sort of action on the part of Republicans if Trump does not win, you can depend on it. He will refuse to leave office, declaring any loss to be fake news, rigged elections etc. He may declare Martial law and keep things tamped down until people accept this decision. Since Republicans are the armed ones, expect any gunfire to come from this direction, possibly also activated National Guard units from republican states. There are not enough antifa folks to have much of a battle, the action will be heavily one sided. The Senate Republicans will continue to bury their head in the sand, pretending that everything is just fine. I would be thrilled to see the U.S. divided into two countries, one for dog-eat-dog, religious, gun-loving, low-tax, keep-women-in-their-place, no-abortion, death-penalty, government-hating, authoritarian plutocrats (Trumpistan), and one similar to that of Canada, which is similar now to what the U.S. was a while ago. This country would care about its people (all of them), and the government would be of the people, by the people, and for ALL of the people - Oh, wait.....

Last edited by rmm0484; 10-23-2019 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 09:11 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
There won't be mass riots. We're not a banana republic yet.

Our police and if need be, our military will keep order if necessary, so don't go out in the street with a bazooka unless you want to leave this world.
They still follow the chain of command and follow orders.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
There won't be mass riots. We're not a banana republic yet.

Our police and if need be, our military will keep order if necessary, so don't go out in the street with a bazooka unless you want to leave this world.
They still follow the chain of command and follow orders.
The operative word is "follow orders" -whose orders?

Old 10-23-2019, 09:16 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope

We were #1 in mass riots 50 years ago.

But today, millions aren't being conscripted to be sent off to a seriously flawed and unpopular war, #1.

And #2, racial tensions today are nowhere near as volatile as then.

Regarding the 2020 election, the most we'll see is a few street demonstrations, if that.

One of the few times, Mr. Gringo, when we find ourselves in agreement.

But FWIW, with a few exceptions like Kent State (5/4/70), tensions over Vietnam and the draft seldom led to serious violence; as it is today, this was mostly a case of the young and radicalized letting off steam (and occasionally, finding an excuse to "party" -- it embarrasses me that my generation made a verb out of that word).

The urban riots in Watts, Newark, Detroit, etc, were a different story entirely; the ghettos of that time were a direct product of racism -- instilled, reinforced and perpetuated mostly by older people who have since passed from the scene. The process still needs some more refinement, but "urban renewal" has been reformed and improved by giving the locals a larger and more direct stake in the process -- (buy a run-down duplex, fix it up; rent out one side and live in the other)

This is REAL human progress -- driven by honest capitalism (preferably on a smaller, localized scale), rather than by an army of bureaucrats whose only interest lies in building a bigger bureaucracy.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-23-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 10:05 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
The operative word is "follow orders" -whose orders?
They'll follow the Commander In Chief's orders. Nothing is going to change.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:20 PM

54 posts, read 28,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I disagree. If Trump wins I doubt there will be riots. If Trump loses, I can foresee Trump ranting and raving about the “rigged” process, but doubt that his supporters would take to the streets. Though I would be worried about Trump’s more zealous supporters taking his words seriously.

I agree with this. There are anti-social violent types on both the far left and far right. They might resort to some violence because that is how they are, but the vast majority of U.S. citizens with accept the results peaceably, though they might ***** pretty loudly.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:35 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
If you were to pay attention to current events, you will notice how USA is folding its presence as the world gendarme, with that function being handed over to China. Slowly but steadily. Same time, global management center being moved from London to China.
That in mind, US has 2 options.
1. Preserve itself as a united strong country, dedicated to internal development and strong economy( Trump policy)
2. Desperately grasping to "we are the world power" paradigm (Clintonites/old US national Elite), what will result in economy collapse and possible split of the US into several states.

Option 2 WILL result in pretty much civil war.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 PM

4,949 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Nope, not gonna happen in this country; as the general public is too intimidated by the government.
I can't even get people to not renew vehicle stickers, as a form of non-violent mass tax protest.
Plus the Feds pump billions into local law enforcement as a means of deterrence, via our brand new armored personnel carriers and such.
I remember last inauguration day, every police car was on the road; way more than usual.
That was to send a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates