Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:53 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times

Advertisements

We're so far afield of a healthy moderation I wouldn't be surprised. I was around in the Sixties and there were plenty of people who wouldn't have expected that to happen.

Coincidently I just happened upon this opinion piece today:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...e-of-civil-war

But I don't think a pending sense of mass violence is particular to the United States. It seems to be an expectation in many of the world's countries right now. I think we have reach a turning point in the way we have been living and the pressures it creates are causing stress that will need a universal solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 10:39 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We're so far afield of a healthy moderation I wouldn't be surprised. I was around in the Sixties and there were plenty of people who wouldn't have expected that to happen.

Coincidently I just happened upon this opinion piece today:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...e-of-civil-war

But I don't think a pending sense of mass violence is particular to the United States. It seems to be an expectation in many of the world's countries right now. I think we have reach a turning point in the way we have been living and the pressures it creates are causing stress that will need a universal solution.
Yes that was an interesting piece and says what a lot of us are thinking. And it’s definitely not particular to the US because there are major riots taking place around the world but I think we might be at risk and for many of the same reasons. The raising of the fare on the metro was just the final straw here in Chile and the real problem is the growing disparity between the rich and poor and that’s going on in the states too. It’s going on all over the world.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:59 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

And the Repubs are so intent on strict capitalism with the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer, taking away the safety net, and they seem to enjoy doing it, that if they lose, there's going to be heads rolling too."

This attitude is is one of the chief reasons for the divide in this country.
Please enlighten us regarding your definition of "strict capitalism":

I've identified as an uncapitalized, (please) libertarian for over fifty years -- due in large part to exposure of the writings of Ayn Rand (and successors Karl Hess and Murray Rothbard) as an undergraduate. Our primary focus was on economic education --on demonstrating why the Democrats' snake-oil concoction of class warfare and pandering to often-contradictory special interests -- for which the Republican / Libertarian coalition (most of whom can see the bigger picture) are undeservedly vilified by the Democrats and their core constituency of slow thinkers, rubber-stamps and unquestioning partisans.

"Pure", unalloyed capitalism works only in theory, and almost all of us who live and work in the bastardized and overly-conformist world of "consumerism" -- pushed not so much by Wall Street as by Madison Avenue, its allies in the manipulative media, and its clientele of snowflakes and suckers -- came to recognize this a long time ago.

I know of very few of the doctrinal "anarchy with a constable" libertarians who have not been enlightened as to the need for a basic "safety net" via the lessons of real life. But the problem here is that the welfare state can become an addictive drug, and much of the debate in the public arena merely concerns the size and management of the "necessary" Frankenstein -- same as our bipartisan-bureaucratized military which clearly produces too little security, at the cost of too many tax dollars.

And Donald Trump's simple answers (for simple minds) notwithstanding, a growing centrist/pragmatist coalition of Independents, Libertarians, and disaffected Republicans understands this; it's the far-Left Democrats who are drifting further and further out-of-synch.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-23-2019 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 08:11 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
BTW Didn't you see the Republicans storm the hearing today, they prevented the DoD representative from speaking about the Ukraine situation?
Yeah... they got kicked out and then the hearing went on as planned.
It was a fine example of giving the media something to yap about, but it accomplished nothing.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:49 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
If you were to pay attention to current events, you will notice how USA is folding its presence as the world gendarme, with that function being handed over to China. Slowly but steadily. Same time, global management center being moved from London to China.
That in mind, US has 2 options.
1. Preserve itself as a united strong country, dedicated to internal development and strong economy( Trump policy)
2. Desperately grasping to "we are the world power" paradigm (Clintonites/old US national Elite), what will result in economy collapse and possible split of the US into several states.

Option 2 WILL result in pretty much civil war.
The US should be split into several states. It has no business being 50 states to begin with. The root of all its problems stems from that blunder. Many of the states regions are far to different to be in the same country. There is no crime in admitting that. Its blatantly obvious. Not dealing with it is what's wrong.

I do believe at some point it will most definitely happen. Its the same as a bad marriage. Continuing in it is not the way to deal with it.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:16 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The US should be split into several states. It has no business being 50 states to begin with. The root of all its problems stems from that blunder. Many of the states regions are far to different to be in the same country. There is no crime in admitting that. Its blatantly obvious. Not dealing with it is what's wrong.

I do believe at some point it will most definitely happen. Its the same as a bad marriage. Continuing in it is not the way to deal with it.
I agree with your first paragraph, and I would like the U.S. be split into four regions:
- West Coast (CA, OR, WA, HI, and AK) and Southwest (CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM, TX, OK)
- Southeast (the former Confederate and border states and DC)
- Northeast (NY, PA, OH, IN, MI, and New England states)
- North Central (everything else)

I don't think it will happen, though -- or at least not for at least 50 years.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-24-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-24-2019, 10:05 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times
50 separate test tubes to try different things and see what works and what doesn't was the point. Too bad you missed it.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:15 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes that was an interesting piece and says what a lot of us are thinking. And it’s definitely not particular to the US because there are major riots taking place around the world but I think we might be at risk and for many of the same reasons. The raising of the fare on the metro was just the final straw here in Chile and the real problem is the growing disparity between the rich and poor and that’s going on in the states too. It’s going on all over the world.
Thanks for taking time to read and comment on the article, stepka.

I do believe the problem is more encompassing than economics or differing political opinions. Civilized countries increasingly are awash in mood and body altering chemicals through the air, earth and water, there are slow but steady changes to our orientation in space and our weather, we are enclosing ourselves in environments of glass, steel, asphalt, cement. We have abandoned our sustaining sense of place, family and identity. And, confusing spirituality with organized religion, have let go of one of the strongest needs and tools man has to maintain peace and constructive attitude.

All these poor responses to abundance and growth have disconnected us from our best nature and have had an effect on the human psyche. I believe we are seeing the results in self-destructive behavior.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:16 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I do hope you’re right but I plan to have at least two weeks of food, water, and toilet paper laid aside, just in case. Right now in our house we have filled six five gallon buckets of water because there were threats to the water supply and that would have been horrific if it had played out. The only reason it didn’t is because just six months ago the city had put a tall fence around the lagoon to keep people out. Before that they were allowed free access to hike or fish there.

But yeah, maybe we’re too sedated on junk food but make no mistake, they eat a lot of crap here too and are seemingly quite polite and civilized. No one expected this at all, at all.
Everyone should already have a few weeks supply of food and water.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:09 AM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
A likely scenario: an EMF Pulse, Database failure, Computer Worm/Trojan/DOS attack, or other effect knocks out the replenishment feature of EBT/SNAP/Food cards.

Within seven days (more likely five), we would see widespread riots and looting, mostly constrained to urban areas.

So yes, I think it is possible. Distributing the databases across different areas of the country is only one of the sound practices that could mitigate this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates