Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 07:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
So, you get your news how? How do you decide what to believe?

I think the AP is by and large objective.

I also think that by constant lying, our president has turned the mainstream press against him. For non-political things I think NBC does well enough.
I get my news from a wide variety of sources, including the AP but not limited to them, and I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So what does that leave? NPR? PBS? RT? (Haw! Sorry, I couldn't resist.). The Christian Science Monitor? Al Jazeera?
I do read news from many of those sources, as well as AP sources (and yes, Al Jazeera), the BBC, etc. and then I consider the source, follow the money, and decide that the truth is somewhere in the middle of all that. Usually no one source gives the full picture.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:17 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I do read news from many of those sources, as well as AP sources (and yes, Al Jazeera), the BBC, etc. and then I consider the source, follow the money, and decide that the truth is somewhere in the middle of all that. Usually no one source gives the full picture.
That's great, KA. I remember on 9/11, the only TV news sources I could find on cable, that were reporting what was actually happening on the ground (the mainstream US stations quickly switched from reporting to propagandizing war), were a Canadian news source, and Univision, in Spanish, out of Miami. It was strange to have to scour the air waves for "real" news.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:46 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, "the media" doesn't make it seem like Blacks are hunted down every day. But the abuse does happen all too frequently.

Yes, the whole story often isn't told...by the police. Cover up after coverup after coverup, even to the point that sometimes they turn off their vest cameras.

The more liberal doesn't have "elite handlers" anymore than FOX news has a conservative "elite handler" named Murdoch.

No, "bad" is what makes it news.

And unity is certainly not what FOX news attempts.

I don't like FOX either. You guys always have to deflect FOX back to us when we denounce CNN and the other media outlets. Just because I may bash CNN or MS13NBC doesn't mean I watch FOX. I have denounced FOX in other post.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
In the end, blacks kill blacks more than any other group of people kill blacks. Blacks make music about killing their "ops" and have all sorts of music glorifying gang culture and activity. Black people are their own enemy BUT we can't say that because blacks are "oppressed" and too "stupid" and have to be handled with child gloves.

When Chinese people were being attacked when this pandemic started, you hardly heard anything because they weren't White people who attacked them.

Now, I'm not anti-Black or "rayciss" but Black people tend to be some of the touchiest subjects in this country. Mostly the hard left/SJW/"progressive" types treat black people like endangered species, as if they can't do anything for themselves. As they need the white mans helping hand. They'll make excuse after excuse for why they are in the unfavorable conditions they are in. They want them dumbed down because it lines their pockets and organizations, gains the hard leftist votes.

If anything I think its insulting that black people get treated like retarded adult-children. Certain people have to start being very honest with themselves about why (most) black people are in the conditions they are in today.

Blacks today have more opportunities, more wealth, more presented to them then ever before. There's more successful black people in this country than any other country anywhere in the world (from my knowledge). Black people are capable, black people HAVE and CAN succeed but the extreme left want them babied and treated like deformed, retarded adult-children.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:44 AM

37 posts, read 26,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Why does “more” matter so much?

Well, how many bombs have blacks as a race dropped on Europe? How many blacks have armies of government funded police and military united and actively pursuing whites to kill for being on, touching, or even sitting in the wrong (well-manicured and quiet) place in someone’s property? How many blacks have built gated communities for blacks to keep the lower whites out? Those numbers are extremely low compared to whites and their government/law protected assaults on blacks. Presidents have ordered certain blacks to be shot and killed for offending white people and white property.

See, the obvious differences created by nature and then labeling of people by intellect and physical traits has come back to bite us all in a bad way. That’s all it is. Blacks did not build anything, whites built everything for themselves and become immediately angered and sometimes violent over what they say blacks owe them, although blacks didn’t create, build, or destroy any group of people by bombs and genocide. According to whites people own testing, we blacks are not genetically capable of organizing in great numbers and corralling other races for our pleasure. Whites are the only ones doing that. Whites own everything that has happened in the world they built, good and bad.

All races had their wars and bad moments.

Muslims used to caught Africans people to sell them to European when America was found

In Asian had (or still have) social classes depending on their color skin
In African used to have a slavery society (that was used by European to keep sending Slaves to America)
In Europe there's "2" Europe, SOUTH (We could say like Mexico) and NORTH (Like U.S and Canada), (I'm from South of Europe)

...etc

But that moments are in the past and you don't have to blame anybody for the mistakes of ours relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've personally never had a problem with AA people in real life. None have been rude to me, let alone aggressive. That being said, personally I don't blame the AA community for having some angst and even anger. Their community has had the deck stacked against them for about 300 years so two generations of opportunity and change is not enough to rectify all the harm that was done to their ancestors and family infrastructure - this has long reaching effects.

I don't like militant behavior though in anyone. It's a turnoff to me. I don't know anyone who acts that way but maybe it's just because of my personality and who I hang out with.

I do think that racial differences are played up by the media. I mean, they make news BECAUSE they are not the norm. The vast majority of Americans simply don't want turmoil or community angst, no matter what color their skin is.

Nice point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
The media will make it seem like Blacks are hunted down everyday. Yes, we have unfortunate cases of mistreatment but then there are times where the full story isn't be told and revealed. The mainstream media (CNN, MSNBC, NBC, etc) all have to follow and spout certain narratives by their elite handlers. In order to cause racial tension and divide and that divide brings much more easy control. Good news equals bad news for the mainstream media but bad news equals good news (increased ratings and furthering the nefarious agenda). The mainstream media will fan the flames of racism, to incite more divide. Unity among the people is the last thing they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
There are too many cases of white police officers mishandling black men, and far too many unnecessary deaths while in custody. I deplore it, as many Americans do. It seems to me that some police officers stereotype black men, as being criminals, even in benign situations. And it also seems to me that ordinary white people like me do the same, feeling threatened simply by their presence in innocent situations.

What I know, It supposed that African American are a minority but the criminal rates say their population commit more crimes that whites or Hispanics

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43

Then with all that it's nomal that police see a group of people (black, white, hispanic...etc) the first person who is gonna be stopped , will be the African american (not for their color skin, only for stadistics)

If I'd be a police and I know There's a mayor population that is conflictive... It's obviously I'd check first an African American Person (acording with the rates).How i said before, nor for their color skin, only for the rates

It isn't fault of the police, I agree there are cases of abuse but to me, It seems they chose the bad cases to stand... (it's only my point of view)

Here where I live, the people don't even think to fight against the police (You'd go to jail, lose your job, become poor by a bill....)

Last edited by AlexWLLN; 05-30-2020 at 03:17 AM..

Old 05-30-2020, 04:38 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
I agree it is a world wide issue. I'm a white American who retired to Ecuador and the same race division goes on there.

The darker skinned poor people live on the coast or jungle and are labeled "monkeys" by the light skin Ecuadorians living in Quito or other wealthier areas.

The poorest of all are the blacks who live on the border with Colombia and have drug trade and lots of violence.

I have a Filipina
friend who bemoans her gorgeous tan skin and wants to bleach it, as many Asians do. Even in Asian countries the degree of light or dark skin determines one's social standing, in many cases.

OP, your English is good! I'm in Portugal during the pandemic and am impressed with how many speak English here.
Everyone in a public position at least.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
What is rational is realizing black people are not linked to any other races in the same way as all other races are linked with each other. Emotions have nothing to do with facts. Believe it or not, we blacks have always been in our own separated category, far removed from everyone else. Why do you think that is? Coincidence?
Historically, people from different continents were isolated from each other. The Europeans have interacted with each other for thousands of years. Sharing common religions, similarities in language. Forming bonds through royal marriages. They were all about the same level in regards to degree of cultural, scientific/educational advancements. All had a written language and similar concepts of law and property holdings.

Meanwhile the Asians pretty much stayed put in Asia. It was a big deal for Marco Polo to travel to China in 1269 AD. But with the lack of motorized and air travel, and ship voyages taking so long, not being pleasant and carrying a limited number of people, there was basically no tourism.

The African slave trade started in 1619. Africa was colonized between 1870 and 1900. Africa was occupied by many nomadic tribes with different languages. There was no written word. No concept of private property. No permanent dwellings. Also, the Sahara Desert was a huge physical barrier keeping the sub-Saharan tribes from migrating northward. They kept near their food and water sources.

And the Europeans dominated the indigenous peoples of Africa, Australia and all of the Americas because they were of a more advanced civilization, had advanced weaponry and understood the geography of the world. Their colonizing process seemed like a natural thing to do. Also, at the time, they didn't know what we all know now, that we are all homo sapiens. But back then, seeing indigenous peoples living their nomadic tribal lifestyle, without the written word, those peoples seemed primitive and being a lesser developed species.

Anyway, I think that as a whole, we all need to stop dwelling on the past histories, because they can't be changed. But we all have the present and the future available to us. IMO America doesn't have a problem with race, it's a problem with different cultures and lifestyles clashing. If I don't want to live in a minority community of blacks and/or Hispanics, it because I am not comfortable with men from a much more machismo culture with a player mentality. Anytime I have worked in a very diverse environment, I can count on men from a macho culture wanting to ask me out. And their neighborhoods are too noisy with music and there is a tendency for block parties at night. And their sidewalks are littered with trash. Also, loving to drive Honda Civics, there is always the potential for my car to be taken or parts stolen from it (like the rims). But again, it's not the colour of anyone's skin that turns me off from them, it's their moral values (having baby mommas and not supporting their kids) and vastly different interests in life.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:46 AM

37 posts, read 26,983 times
Also some points I just remembered.
When I learned the U.S history, The beginnings there weren't only black slaveries, also white European were slavery, but they were called "SERVANTS"
Bacon's Rebellion was caused by joining together (black slavery, white servants and colonists)
In 1705 The rich society made a low that they gave to the white servants their rights to avoid whites and black get together
James Brown was the first White person who fought for the equal rights
...etc

But I know There were things it has been done in a bad way

Old 05-30-2020, 08:09 AM

225 posts, read 144,311 times
How can anyone with common sense not understand the intense frustrations over inequality and prejudice? Talk and promises of change have gone on and on with same horrible law enforcement brutalities committed over and over again. The establishment with their pretty words always seem most concerned with damage, looting and rioting more than loss of human life. How would white Americans like to feel fear every time they, their children come in contact with law enforcement? How can non-whites not feel anger in seeing rise in white nationalism and leader who encourages them? How long would white Americans put up with pretty words about promises of change that are slow in appearing if they appear at all. How are all Americans to think with political leaders more focused on their self-interests than the yearning masses they purport to represent? High school students are typically taught a sanitized version of American history. A warts-and-all approach would bring honesty to learning, a better understanding of America's racial history. Our students should be afforded that opportunity without having to major in African American studies to learn these truths kept from them in their formative education. An example: the founding father who penned "all men are created equal.." had his orgies with slave concubines and spent himself into debt in Europe buying all kinds of material goods that tickled his fancy, and paid for these things from the hard labor of "his" slaves back in good ole Virginia. High school students understand irony. They can handle the truth. Give them the truth, not idealized constructs that distort the truth.

Last edited by trouillot; 05-30-2020 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates