Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 08:37 AM

472 posts, read 244,240 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd like to know where is all the outrage when you hear blacks killing other blacks in the west side of Chicago, or other cities for that matter with a huge gang presence. Why aren't people looting the cities and causing riots about that???

Old 05-30-2020, 09:05 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Rich heritage and treasured physical attributes put American Indians on a much higher level of acceptance throughout society than blacks. I can name any race or group of people around the world in poverty and non-black yet valued in society far above blacks. Every single race refers to our hair as "brillo" and if we dare make anyone angry, we get the "n-word." Every single race looks at our hair, our skin, our brains, and many will say privately - or on some internet forums - that we (black people) are repulsive to them because of our looks. No other race gets that, and certainly not American Indians.
I know you speak from experience. I do not doubt the reality of it. However American Indians are often quite disadvantaged and repressed, many times living in poverty. If you doubt what I say, feel free to visit a reservation.

And, I’ve never heard anyone’s hair called “Brillo.” Someone who uses that term is just stupid and tactless.

I am not disputing your experience or reality.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:30 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Me? I’m elitist and classist. If you’re smart, educated, and share my work ethic values, I don’t particularly care about your race, color, or creed. I think that’s generally true of most white collar professionals. I’ve traveled all over the world. My workplace is smart, educated people from all over the planet.
So if someone is dumb and uneducated you do care about their race, color, or creed?

Old 05-30-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have no confidence in any mainstream media source in the US (and you can throw the BBC in there with them). All of them abandoned objective, factual news a long time ago.
Well, I have recently begun to adopt that same position. And I think that one of the problems is that there are two many anchors who think it is their job to personally base their programs and their editorializing, rather than on reporting the news. I have totally stopped watching Don Lemon on CNN; it is all too obvious that his personal quest is to bring down Donald Trump, even at the expense of being balanced. I want Trump gone, too. But it is Lemon's job to report the news, not to put his personal interpretation on every aspect of Trump's presidency. I'm a middle of the road Democrat, but if owned CNN today, I'd fire Lemon immediately. And there are more balanced anchors on CNN, with Chris Cuomo able to sometimes say that Trump is right about some things. But even then, CNN and MSNBC are more balanced than FOX.

I think back to Walter Cronkite. For most of the newscast I thought he gave a fair reporting of the news, and then for a minute or two at the end of the broadcast he'd make it more personal. Those were the good old days.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Rich heritage and treasured physical attributes put American Indians on a much higher level of acceptance throughout society than blacks. I can name any race or group of people around the world in poverty and non-black yet valued in society far above blacks. Every single race refers to our hair as "brillo" and if we dare make anyone angry, we get the "n-word." Every single race looks at our hair, our skin, our brains, and many will say privately - or on some internet forums - that we (black people) are repulsive to them because of our looks. No other race gets that, and certainly not American Indians.
I'm not so sure that's as true as you think it is. By some, yes. But African Americans are an ever-increasing presence in television, movies, and music, and they're not just selling tickets (or advertising) to white folks.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:20 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWLLN View Post
Also some points I just remembered.
When I learned the U.S history, The beginnings there weren't only black slaveries, also white European were slavery, but they were called "SERVANTS"
"Servants" are free people who are paid and can leave their jobs or move to a new place.

You're thinking of "indentured servants," who were usually bound to work for a set number of years, then were released as regular members of society. Their children were also free.

As I recall, free people became indentured servants in exchange for a benefit, like passage to America; or in payment for a debt; or as punishment for a crime.

Some were treated like slaves, and I'm sure many never saw freedom. Others became successful free citizens.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:43 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post
Well, I'd like to know where is all the outrage when you hear blacks killing other blacks in the west side of Chicago, or other cities for that matter with a huge gang presence. Why aren't people looting the cities and causing riots about that???
No one can do anything about it and nobody really wants, that's why. Whites killing whites is supposedly not a thing (even though it is) but that is glorified in the movies and war.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:48 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not so sure that's as true as you think it is. By some, yes. But African Americans are an ever-increasing presence in television, movies, and music, and they're not just selling tickets (or advertising) to white folks.
Television. So what? Blacks have nothing when it comes to what matters in real everyday living. What race provides almost every one of those grocery stores? Car dealerships? Banks? Toilet paper? Everything else we NEED AND VALUE in our everyday lives? Every race, except blacks.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
"Servants" are free people who are paid and can leave their jobs or move to a new place.

You're thinking of "indentured servants," who were usually bound to work for a set number of years, then were released as regular members of society. Their children were also free.

As I recall, free people became indentured servants in exchange for a benefit, like passage to America; or in payment for a debt; or as punishment for a crime.

Some were treated like slaves, and I'm sure many never saw freedom. Others became successful free citizens.
One of my favorite places is Monticello...Thomas Jefferson's home. When I lived in Virginia I had gone there several times. The last I went there I wondered if anything would be different, and two things had changed drastically.

On earlier visits I distinctly remember the term "servants" be used. On my last visit, the consistent term being used was "enslaved persons". That seemed like a decent correction.

The other thing that was interesting was on the tour there had been no mention of Sally Hemmings, so finally I asked about it. The guide said that usually she talked about that at the next stop on the property, but she said she would cover it now since I asked. She said that I needed to remember that Monticello, which is privately owned, is no longer connected in any way with descendants of Jefferson. And that the current organization which owns it thinks it is totally clear that Jefferson did have sexual relations with Hemmings.

I was pleased that at least at some historical places, history is getting closer to reality. But not always. I also took a tour of a Virginia plantation where FDR had "meetings" with his girl friend. When I asked about that the tour guide got all flustered and denied no such thing had ever happened there. So a week later I went back for a second tour, and took with me a monumental new (at the time) bio of FDR which cited the plantation and FDR's meetings there with his girlfriend. I got the same tour guide who got even more flustered and in denail, even after I quoted from the bio, which I had with me.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Television. So what? Blacks have nothing when it comes to what matters in real everyday living. What race provides almost every one of those grocery stores? Car dealerships? Banks? Toilet paper? Everything else we NEED AND VALUE in our everyday lives? Every race, except blacks.
So what? Movies and television help shape public opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates