Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:56 AM

923 posts, read 526,490 times

Advertisements

Everyone I've ever known, of all races, that has not committed crimes and stays away from crimes being committed has never had anything happen to them by the police.

Had an old friend go off the deep end, ran from cops and pointed a gun at them(he did not shoot). They shot him and he passed away. He had previous problems with the law. I feel bad for his family and the cops who had to make that decision. He was white, nobody burned down any business' or any ignorant "temper tantrum".
Respect the law, respect others no matter what their skin color is, and don't commit crimes. This goes for everyone. It's simply put in the Bible, 10 simple rules/laws/sins.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:32 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,356,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Everyone I've ever known, of all races, that has not committed crimes and stays away from crimes being committed has never had anything happen to them by the police.

Had an old friend go off the deep end, ran from cops and pointed a gun at them(he did not shoot). They shot him and he passed away. He had previous problems with the law. I feel bad for his family and the cops who had to make that decision. He was white, nobody burned down any business' or any ignorant "temper tantrum".
Respect the law, respect others no matter what their skin color is, and don't commit crimes. This goes for everyone. It's simply put in the Bible, 10 simple rules/laws/sins.
Nothing makes more sense as what you wrote. If I understand correctly, if I resist arrest and pull out a water pistol and point it at the police, they are free to shoot me dead and my family can’t come around later and say I was only holding a toy. Doesn’t work that way. Police have to make a split second decision as to whether or not their life and other lives are in danger. No one wants to shoot but it’s either kill or be killed. No time to think about that as someone is shooting a taser gun (or anything ) at you.

No sympathy for this dead loser here. I just heard some nutjob woman on tv suggest that maybe the cops Should have a policy to drive the drunk person home instead of arresting Them and killing them. What an idiotic statement. He already broke the law. Where I am from, being drunk is a mandatory night in jail, thousands of dollars in fines, possible jail time, license revoked, etc. yeah, let’s just drive them home from now one. They won’t do it again. Some real insane people out there.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Nothing makes more sense as what you wrote. If I understand correctly, if I resist arrest and pull out a water pistol and point it at the police, they are free to shoot me dead and my family can’t come around later and say I was only holding a toy. Doesn’t work that way. Police have to make a split second decision as to whether or not their life and other lives are in danger. No one wants to shoot but it’s either kill or be killed. No time to think about that as someone is shooting a taser gun (or anything ) at you.

No sympathy for this dead loser here. I just heard some nutjob woman on tv suggest that maybe the cops Should have a policy to drive the drunk person home instead of arresting Them and killing them. What an idiotic statement. He already broke the law. Where I am from, being drunk is a mandatory night in jail, thousands of dollars in fines, possible jail time, license revoked, etc. yeah, let’s just drive them home from now one. They won’t do it again. Some real insane people out there.
Why didn’t the police come to my daughters aid when she was robbed and assaulted?
Sorry, we were busy driving a drunk person home.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I haven't watched the video, but this looks senselessly escalated. He initially offered to leave his car and walk home. Then the police escalated. Why? It seems he wasn't driving he was just drunk in public. They had his information, his license and vehicle information. Why not wait to handle the next day? Take his keys? Why did he need to get arrested then? Or arrested at all? Mailm a citation and be done with it.

The problem is that these minor issues get escalated to shots fired. That makes zero sense.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:23 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Even innocent people can have accidental run-ins with the police which can be terrifying.

Husband comes home from work to find his wife lying in a pool of blood in the bedroom. Historically, when a spouse is killed, and the police come to your house to view the murder, 8 out of 10 police officers will have Guilty stamped on their foreheads as they talk to the surviving spouse. Telling them you can prove it you were at work at the time of the murder will make no difference whatsoever, as spouses oftentimes hire someone to kill their spouse. And there were coincidences that make the police make you look even more guilty: recently you had increased the life insurance on your spouse.

And then there's brown-baiting and black-baiting that's been going on for decades. Being Caucasian, and a lover of Tijuana, I had a personalized plate put on my car one time, Tjuana, and I was stopped more than usual with that blasted license plate, which a Mexican co-worker told me to get rid of, as being Mexican she would never put any sticker on her car indicating she was Mexican, just to play it safe.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:23 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Why didn’t the police come to my daughters aid when she was robbed and assaulted?
Sorry, we were busy driving a drunk person home.
It's next to impossible for police to get to any arbitrary address in time to rescue someone unless it's an hours-long hostage-standoff situation.

And that's assuming the police are being treated well and not made to feel they'll be fired, lose their pensions, even go to prison, if they are too rough with the suspect and he's a protected minority.

Now, I wouldn't even expect them to come. Why should they risk their lives. The public doesn't support them. If I were a cop, I'd stay home. Blue flu. Blue Covid. or whatever. Or move to a town that is conservative and does support its police.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Even innocent people can have accidental run-ins with the police which can be terrifying.

Husband comes home from work to find his wife lying in a pool of blood in the bedroom. Historically, when a spouse is killed, and the police come to your house to view the murder, 8 out of 10 police officers will have Guilty stamped on their foreheads as they talk to the surviving spouse. Telling them you can prove it you were at work at the time of the murder will make no difference whatsoever, as spouses oftentimes hire someone to kill their spouse. And there were coincidences that make the police make you look even more guilty: recently you had increased the life insurance on your spouse.

And then there's brown-baiting and black-baiting that's been going on for decades. Being Caucasian, and a lover of Tijuana, I had a personalized plate put on my car one time, Tjuana, and I was stopped more than usual with that blasted license plate, which a Mexican co-worker told me to get rid of, as being Mexican she would never put any sticker on her car indicating she was Mexican, just to play it safe.
I agree to a point, but if you are innocent you SHOULD have nothing to worry about. I capitalized "SHOULD" as that is the majority of the time. I will say that there are innocent people put in jail/prison, not many but some. I do not know that stats on that subject.

I still stand behind what I said, and I know you were just bringing up certain situations. There are flaws in our judicial system. As of now, I only know of one thing that is 100% correct and that is we all have flaws and are not perfect. We have to take that into account.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I haven't watched the video, but this looks senselessly escalated. He initially offered to leave his car and walk home. Then the police escalated. Why? It seems he wasn't driving he was just drunk in public. They had his information, his license and vehicle information. Why not wait to handle the next day? Take his keys? Why did he need to get arrested then? Or arrested at all? Mailm a citation and be done with it.

The problem is that these minor issues get escalated to shots fired. That makes zero sense.
He was drunk, did they know he was going to go home and sleep or turn around and drive off in his car...drunk. Driving drunk is like shooting a gun, you don't know who or what it will hit.

Without being there, it's hard to say what was best to do. But if someone tries to escape from the law with a weapon then they need taken down. We don't know how many people those police officers saved by taking him down. I'm sure the police did not want to be in that situation at all.

All he had to do is cooperate and nobody would have been hurt. It's not the police's fault he committed a crime.

It's a sad situation that nobody wants to be in. I feel for the police and the victim's family and friends.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:42 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Get ready for more protests after another black man was shot by a white police officer in Atlanta today. Sorry, this shooting was justified. Black guy fell asleep in his car at Wendy’s Drive Thru. Cops came and he failed sobriety test. Resisted arrest, got ahold of officers taser, ran away and began pointing it at office. Shot. Dead. Gone. Too bad he died but when anyone resists arrest, my sympathy goes out the window.

So, the wonderful folks burnt Wendy’s to the ground in a fiery inferno. Sorry guys. No one ever said a black persons will never get shot by a police officer again.it will continue to happen, as it would to a white person, when they resist arrest. Here we go again.
Shooting an unarmed fleeing suspect in the back is not justified. Resisting arrest is not a killing offense, regardless of how much you might like it to be. The police have been telling us a laser is non lethal, they cannot now tell us the officer was in serious danger. The coroner's ruling is Homicide.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Shooting an unarmed fleeing suspect in the back is not justified. Resisting arrest is not a killing offense, regardless of how much you might like it to be. The police have been telling us a laser is non lethal, they cannot now tell us the officer was in serious danger. The coroner's ruling is Homicide.
So you are telling me that if a person kills a loved one of yours and says he/she will be back for the rest of your loved ones, resists arrest, and runs away, that shooting that person is unjustified?

Driving drunk could lead to someone getting killed.

The real question is, why did he resist and run? What else was he going to do or did do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates