Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 11:33 PM

805 posts, read 539,960 times

Advertisements

Billionaire and former Walmart executive Mark Lore has dreamt up plans for building a utopian city in the desert, Telosa, whose mission is to become “the most open, the most fair, and the most inclusive city in the world.”
Here is their official website: https://cityoftelosa.com

Here is one person's review of it:https://www.theurbanist.org/2021/11/...-utopian-myths

Beyond the obvious (how do you handle the criminals, crazies and freeloaders?), the thing I noticed was this part:
"Lore envisions that the future city’s land will be purchased by investors and philanthropists and then donated to a community endowment, which will use increases in the land’s value to fund public services such as healthcare, education, and small business development. While the land will be owned by the community endowment, people will be able to build, buy, and sell their own homes."

I'm not seeing how expensive public services will be financed by increases in land value. Since the land will be owned by a community endowment, probably much like a land trust, there won't be any increase in value - if it's not sold, there's no way to realize a hypothetial increase.

The only thing I can think of is that rents have to go through the sky, if the increase in value is going to finance such expensive social services.

Also, who will be on the board overseeing this community endowment. Somehow, I suspect the billionaires who fund it will end up controlling the whole thing, like a company town.

I'm highly skeptical, but maybe there are some options I'm not seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 11:38 PM

374 posts, read 256,752 times
I've looked into this a few times and given the insistence on placing this supposed city somewhere in the southwest, I don't think it'll ever happen. I am similarly skeptical on how the financing aspect is going to work outside of the obvious option of being funded by whatever billionaires decide to pitch in.

Cool concept, love the concept art/depiction on the website. But I just don't see this happening.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:47 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Utopian cities are certainly a fascinating concept. Natalie Bicknell Argerious (in her article that is linked in the OP) makes some valid points, which unfortunately contrast with her apparent outrage over the effrontery of "the idea of building a brand new city on low value land in middle of uninhabited desert while a global climate crisis breathes down our necks."

Argerious also states that "instead of acquiring land to build a city from scratch, Lore and other affluent philanthropically inclined investors could help community land trusts across the U.S. buy land and finance new housing developments." But why should Lore and others be expected to invest their money into U.S. community land trusts so that people who perhaps don't share Lore's vision can build their own housing developments? Levittown was one such land trust, with the idea that the builder would provide low-cost housing for veterans returning from World War II. Only problem was that the builder decided that only White veterans should be permitted the privilege of owning an affordable, suburban Levittown home. Granted, that's an example from the past, but it's an example that endures even today of some people's vision of how a community should be -- a vision that really hasn't changed that much over the years.

Argerious cites how Lore illustrates his concept through Lore's example of Manhattan: "According to his estimates, if all the land in Manhattan was owned by a community endowment, it would be worth over $1 trillion and generate over $60 billion in annual revenue — money that could be invested in both the city’s built environment and its people."

While I don't know what shape the entire borough of Manhattan might take through community endowment, I do know what shape Manhattan's Bryant Park has taken in such a way. It's a business model on a far smaller scale, but it's also an example of how Lore's application of community endowment can work.

When I was a child, Bryant Park behind the New York Public Library was not the sort of place I was allowed to walk past without an older cousin keeping watch. Venturing into that haven for drug addicts (and worse) was completely out of the question.

Then the city turned Bryant Park over to an incorporated group to manage -- and the improvements since (through community endowment) have been outstanding. At a speech held in Bryant Park some years ago, I was only mildly surprised to hear the park director identify himself as a libertarian. The park is now safe and attractive. During the winter holiday season, it hosts an ice-skating rink that rivals the one at Rockefeller Plaza. In addition the park hosts holiday shopping kiosks and a year-round restaurant, which help to generate $1 million and more in income for the maintenance of the park.

In short, Bryant Park had been rescued and turned into the sort of small-scale model of efficiency that is proposed for Telosa. If there is anyone here who remembers what Bryant Park was like back in the 1960s and 1970s, you'll know what I'm talking about.

While I have no interest in applying for residency in Telosa (or any other place, because I'm happy where I'm already living), I'm nevertheless interested in seeing what Lore and his investors might accomplish.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:30 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
I posted this link in another thread on this topic

https://www.chartercitiesinstitute.o...-american-city

The OP here posted some comments on it, that I didn't see until I went looking. I think it's worth reposting the OP's questions here. I don't have the answers, but am working on some lies.

Quote:
Thanks for posting.
I went to the link, and right at the beginning, it says

"capturing the increase in land value in a city and using it to provide social services."

The "residents" will be able to "participate in the decision-making and budgeting process." A community endowment will meanwhile offer residents shared ownership of the land.

They don't differentiate between citizens and residents. So, who controls the government?

The land will be owned by a non-profit. A non-profit, I assume, that will be controlled by a self-selected Board that he will initially fill, and probably control

The only way I can see the "non-profit" making enough money to provide social services by "capturing the increase in land value" is by raising rents. No one will own anything (shades of World Economic Forum "You will own nothing and be happy!" (If you're not familiar with that phrase, go to a search engine and be enlightened).

So if they are not going to realizle the increase in land value by making a profit when they sell, how WILL they make the money to provide social services to all the ones who come, looking ofr a free handout?

Old 11-25-2021, 06:37 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
If Telosa can take advantage of the recreation and tourism industry then, based on people's curiosity and the appeal of the city's futuristic architecture, I think that Telosa might be able to sustain itself in a way somewhat similar to how Las Vegas manages. Jobs in the service industry (hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc.) could provide most of the city's permanent residents with employment. The city's services for residents might be supported from much of the revenue generated in this way.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:54 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
America's parched Southwest wouldn't be the best choice for a visionary's utopian community, but the Telosa website is definitely geared to those who find today's city life unbearable. Buck Rogers like depictions of a modern city complete with weird spires and flying machines in abundance, tales of utopian social forms, a living democracy and a shared prosperity that transcends any and all current barriers.

Sounds great! And, it could actually work--in the movies. In real life, we'd first need to ask what went wrong in the current American utopian dream that drew so many here in the past. And in that inquiry we would have to admit that humans, not systems are to blame for most of the stuff that would drive people to these supposedly utopian cities of the future. Humans by their nature seem self centered, a bit greedy, seldom cooperative, mostly competitive, asking what's in it for them, but never concerning themselves with the welfare of others.

It is in that admission of our faults that we can see how the city of Telosa may well remain on the drawing board while our current cities evolve into the morass of socio/economic decay. It's possible to find like minded individuals who may want to share in the building of a community wherein the power base is a shared one, but the scale would necessarily be small. Large scale cities seem to have run their course, author Mike Davis, in his book, Planet of Slums, depicts the future cities as a further degraded combination of human suffering amid a constant migration of people searching for sustenance.

Marc Lore, a billionaire, can be excused from criticism just for the fact the he already lives in a utopian world, and because of that he may assume that his good fortune can be expedited to a scale that goes beyond his personal situation. He could be better grounded in his vision if he was more familiar with the entirety of the human social dynamic, but that crucial bit of understanding isn't usually on the path travelled by the billionaire class. I'd think that small scale intentional communities stand a far better chance of becoming a reality than anything resembling Telosa..

Old 11-26-2021, 03:33 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Lore is not the first.....MBS was first with the concept, but the project is having a few bumps. It relies on some tech not yet available. The funding model is very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neom

Old 09-09-2022, 08:16 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Telosa project had a "town hall" but it was mainly just 5 Telosa project leads talking surface stuff.

They say site selection has been narrowed to Utah, Nevada and Arizona, though conceivably that could be a smokescreen for Pennsylvania, Texas or Idaho.

If it is one of those 3, I think it is likely north and / or east of Reno, south of Provo or west of Phoenix.

Some talk the decision might come early next year but I doubt it.

Land will be held in some sort of community trust (but maybe not all of it). Residential would apparently to be allowed to be bought / sold, just not the land. Most or almost all would have to be multi-family, likely heavily in towers to achieve super high densities. Built in stages, the right to build on trust might take off over time but certainly not assured. The key would be to nust barely release enough to the highest bidders, stage after stage.

How the land is initially bought and then transferred to the trust is obviously key. Will Lore and others front the purchase. bargain / expect land donations, discounts? Will it transfer to the trust at purchase price or way inflated? I am guessing they are going to saddle the trust with taking responsibility for massive loans to build the infrastructure. The bondsman could make a pretty penny and sit in position to own assets if things don't go as planned.

Which Governor will show the most interest in their requests for changing laws to do things differently? Which will shoulder the biggest amount of infrastructure assistance? I dunno. Nevada has already toyed with a new city proposal but did not immediately give the developer what he wanted so he appears to have pulled the pull. Perhaps his land might be bought for Telosa or they join forces. Hard to say. That land could be too expensive if marked up.

They say the first 50,000 resident / citizens will be selected. They will probably mostly upper middle and upper class. To the extent they pick lower class it probably won't be the super sketchy or very poor. Will they bar or effectivrly bar transients? I assume they'll try.

An entertainment component will probably be involved, especially if they locate in Nevada.

Will they sell any land to employers or try 99 year leases? I dont know if big name companies will go for super long leases or ownership... but maybe if they have enough input.

Water acquisition and recycling will be key. Would seem very unlikely in Arizona because of this but who knows. Taping aquifers seems a likely attempted strategy.

The architect is I tend to create buzz. Might just be for the important buildings, or if for most, they probably will repeat mey elements.

There are a number of new city disappointments and outright failures to date. For varioys reasons, including not understanding what people want and the price point. Corruption is also an issue, with originators and contractors.

How many people want to live at 20,000 people per square mile and how want to wait n risk doing it in the American desert Instead of just moving or staying where it is already available? I would not be surprised for densities to go down, possibly way down for parts of the project, maybe especially the latter ones. There is no city over 4k density today in these 3 states.

The standards of equities will have to acceptable to the biggest anchor employers. Will small companies be required to meet the exact same standards? Conditions for unions will be a key test / experience. There will have to extensive auditing, economic courts and threats of and actual lease revocation.

Who controls the land just outside the project and when / how they obtain it is another big thing to watch. I expect low density golf course communities for the rich and super rich, for founders, friends and rep pocket latecomers.

Will the city of workers to build the metropolis be a part of the new, existing nearby or have to be built first? Temporary for 20 years or permanent?

What role will foreign business or even governments play in financing, settling? Canada, Mexico, China...

IF even a moderate if the project is completed, it could permanently tip the balance of 2 target states and maybe the third- Utah- in the long run (unless financed, partly run and filled largely with LDS families). Probably some people with figure this out and oppose the project for that reason and maybe on 10 or a 100 fronts. Other cities and maybe even other states may oppose or severely question and participate on water, power, minimum wage, abortion, etc.

How much land shaping will be done. Even minimized it could be a lot and it might be far beyond a minimum.

Will the nation / world pay close attention / care / emulate on parts? TBD.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2022 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-09-2022, 09:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Might want 5-10k direct workers and 3-5k to support those workers during construction. Which tends to argue for near enough adjacency to at least a moderate sized city that could be spun into a servant city.

Will Lore take up full-time residence there and how soon? If this is his work for the rest of his life, why the Timberwolves purchase and the new food-tech business? Will they be folded into Telosa project? Will they eventually help finance Telosa?

Lots of questions.

(Sorry for some typos. I was in a rush.)

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2022 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-10-2022, 05:44 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Ugh, just took a look at some of the proposed streetscapes.

Looks like if Le Corbusier had AutoCAD. Arcologies in a park, blech! Why do utopian visions all end up looking the same?

If you're choosing a southwestern setting, why insist on greenery?

This is my idea for a new city in the southwest. Find a mesa and build an environmentally contextual city on it like a hilltop Italian village. No street grids, no cul-de-sacs, no boulevards or promenades. Just narrow streets that follow the topography and open up to shaded piazzas. The high setting affords great views from any number of angles.

Here's where the modern part comes in. The houses are nice on the inside, with modern utilities, AC, fast internet, etc. This city is catering to remote workers, but in the form of an old world city. These types of arrangements are already popular in Europe with remote workers, but are hampered by visa issues, substandard utilities and finish, and a sometimes hostile/extractive local population and government.

Many remote workers would *love* to live in such a city that also had modern amenities and the American social and legal order.

Agree with other posters that utopian attempts to reengineer human nature with a built environment are destined to fall short. Let's be perhaps less ambitious and just build new cities that are esthetically more pleasing than modern American development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates