Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 01:49 PM

100 posts, read 169,829 times

Advertisements

This move is several months into the future but I thought that I will start gathering some data.

We want to rent in Greensboro, the larger the apartment the better. Apartment complexes are ideal. We are retired and are moving to be close to family who will be moving to the area in a few months.

We are looking for a safe and decent area/complex. Closeness to shopping is the only real requirement (that I can think of at the moment).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 05:09 PM

773 posts, read 645,715 times
I doubt there is a an apartment complex in G'boro that isn't close to shopping. Are you sure you want to be in an apartment? Have you lived in one lately? Having other people directly above, below or next to you often times isn't very pleasant.

In general, I'd stick to complexes in the northwestern part of the city. The higher the rent the better quality neighbors you'll have, generally speaking. The last apartment I lived in in G'boro was Lincoln Green, now called Lakes at Lincoln. It was nice back then, but that was many years ago. Great location near shopping, parks, etc.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:33 PM

16 posts, read 16,259 times
Summit View and Blackthorn Apartments

2 apartments situated on Yanceyville Rd by Lees chapel rd.

quieter/safer area, being north of greensboro, closer to browns summit.

shopping centers ~4 mins west on lees chapel where it becomes pisgah church.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
I doubt there is a an apartment complex in G'boro that isn't close to shopping. Are you sure you want to be in an apartment? Have you lived in one lately? Having other people directly above, below or next to you often times isn't very pleasant.

In general, I'd stick to complexes in the northwestern part of the city. The higher the rent the better quality neighbors you'll have, generally speaking. The last apartment I lived in in G'boro was Lincoln Green, now called Lakes at Lincoln. It was nice back then, but that was many years ago. Great location near shopping, parks, etc.
Thanks for your reply.

> I'd stick to complexes in the northwestern part of the city.

This kind of very specific advice is priceless. I see that Lakes at Lincoln has a zip code of 27410. In addition to this, what other zip codes should I look at?

1. It took us a year to sell our house, about four years ago. We are still a bit shell shocked from this. We also don't want to worry about maintenance. I will have another chat on this with my wife though :-)

2. We have been living in a ground floor apartment for the last four years. We have had several upstairs neighbors during this time. Noise has been a problem at times. Neighbors have been nice due to the reason you have pointed out above.

3. I like the convenience of dealing with an apartment complex professionals. I have never rented from individuals. I would love to hear some thoughts on this too.

4. We are living in a 3 BDRM apartment now and would like one at least this big. I have only looked briefly but am not finding too many with 3 BDRMs.

Thanks, again.

Last edited by indylife; 12-06-2020 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Added more detail

Old 12-06-2020, 07:08 AM

With Royal James' hint, "I'd stick to complexes in the northwestern part of the city", I did a more focused search. Here are some things of interest that I found (in different posts on this forum):

-- North side of Greensboro is definitely much more free of crime then other parts of the city.

-- If you want to be INSIDE the city limits, look for zip codes like 27410, 27408. If you can be outside the actual city, you would want to look in Stokesdale and Oak Ridge and Summerfield areas.

1. There is no reason for us to be
INSIDE the city limits. All we need are access to grocery shopping, drugstores, and occasional doctor's dentist offices. Which other suburbs are recommended?

2. Our prime interest is renting from an apartment complex. We will consider renting from individuals or even (less likely) buying.

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,588 times
Kirkwood Place is new and right across the street from shopping that includes Target, Harris Teeter and a couple of nice restaurants.

https://www.liveatkirkwoodplace.com

Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the great replies. Please keep them coming.

We currently live in the Northern suburbs of Indianapolis. We would have no interest whatsoever in living in Indianapolis. Should we rule out downtown Greensboro likewise?

Since we are starting over, I want to at least consider all the options. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:59 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Just a thought. Since you have already owned a home, I assume for years......why do you want to throw away, all that money on rent. You could get a condo, or villa, and have all the outside work, taken care of. Apartment living is such a gamble. Once you sign a lease, you could be stuck, with the neighbor from hell.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:31 AM

Condos don't sell well where we owned a home for 25 years. It took our home a year to sell. We are still reeling a bit from that :-)

Old 12-06-2020, 08:38 AM

Has anybody used this site to locate a city/place to live?

https://www.areavibes.com/

I want to open up our city a bit more. We will have family in the Greensboro area. However, we don't need to live very close to them nor will they like it. If we can visit them once or twice a month, that will be fine, I think. [ They have a baby. We wouldn't mind babysitting occasionally if they want help. Do we need to be close to them for this? This is another factor to consider. ]

With that being the case, I am wondering whether I should consider Cary/Charlotte. Access to Patel Brothers is of particular interest. (There is one in Cary and two near Charlotte.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point