Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best theater in the Upstate
Regal Hollywood (RPX) in Greenville 2 20.00%
Great Escape (IMAX) in Simpsonville 7 70.00%
Other (see forums) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM

8 posts, read 51,177 times

Advertisements

Want to go see Tron Legacy in the best theater in the upstate but don't know which one to go to. Haven't been to Simpsonville yet but their theater showed up on a Google search.

According to the earlier thread the Simsonville theater has a 40x70 Imax. How does it compare to the RPX screen in Greenville. Has anyone been to both that could compare the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 01:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
never been to an rpx theater, so I couldn't really compare, however I really enjoyed watching Inception on the Imax screen in Simpsonville, the seats are very comfortable, the sound is amazing, the lobby has a bar so you can have drinks before your movie, the concessions are phenomenal, very extensive menu(expensive but what theater isn't?). and I didn't go on a weekend but I didn't find it to be overly crowded. hope this helps!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
never been to an rpx theater,
It's funny because Regal's own website says it's not open yet...
http://www.regmovies.com/grand-openings/

... yet when I check Fandango, they're selling RPX tickets to "Unstoppable".
http://www.fandango.com/regalhollywo...b/theaterpage/

This is the info on the theater in Times Square but I don't know if it's the same everywhere.

Quote:
RPX is a custom-built premium environment featuring elegant and luxurious seats with high-back headrests. Regal Premium Experience includes a giant immersive screen illuminated by high-quality digital projectors and completed with a state-of-the-art sound system. Regal technicians individually design each RPX location to provide an enhanced experience in sight and sound. RPX is an all-digital giant screen presentation that will complement and extend the number of Regal theatres featuring premium movie-going experiences.

The Regal Premium Experience at E-Walk utilizes a massive screen stretching more than 60 feet wide to present bright, eye-popping movies in RealD 3D and 2D. The brightest, clearest images possible are delivered to the screen by dual 30,000 lumen digital projectors. The 100,000 watt digital audio system surrounds moviegoers in a specially designed 9.1 speaker array providing pinpoint sound. This powerful sound system incorporates 273 loudspeaker components including eight 21” subwoofers for deep resonating bass.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilingSpringsSC View Post
It's funny because Regal's own website says it's not open yet...
Grand Opening Locations | Regal Theaters

... yet when I check Fandango, they're selling RPX tickets to "Unstoppable".
Regal Hollywood 20-Greenville & RPX Showtimes and Tickets

This is the info on the theater in Times Square but I don't know if it's the same everywhere.
"Unstoppable" starts at midnight tonight, it will be the first movie they have shown, I called and asked

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
i've been to both. if you like noisy rambunctious middle schoolers ruining your good time go to regal hollywood. they cater specifically to that group. the simpsonville imax opened up last spring right across from my apt and ive been there once and was a great experience. surprisingly even though its set within very easy access to little kiddies from all over mauldin and simpsonville it was a decent environment.

if you go to the regal you'll have to fight woodruff road traffic both before and after the flick. the simpsonville IMAX is situated in an area where the traffic won't be a problem even if the parking lot is filled.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:48 AM

Thanks Noodles! (repped)

Greenvillebuckeye, sounds like it'd be best to catch the movie during school hours (or will winter break have started by the 12/17 release date?)

Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
...the simpsonville IMAX is situated in an area where the traffic won't be a problem even if the parking lot is filled.
Because nearly every commercial property near the Great Escape theater in Simpsonville has been vacated, leaving the business sitting awkwardly "alone." In my opinion, after factoring in the IMAX ticket price and the lack of surrounding amenities (which are often handy before and/or after a movie), it is a less favorable suburban location and not normally worth the extra mileage from Greenville or elsewhere in the Upstate, but should conveniently serve the Simpsonville area. It does provide an optional alternative to the other Upstate cinemas, when/if necessary.

Regal Hollywood 20 is located within close proximity to most of the Upstate's best big box stores, a host of smaller retail shops and restaurants, and adjacent to both I-85 and I-385. Accessibility is probably its greatest asset.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM

By the way, the title/question over the poll options says, "Best theater in the Upstate," but only provides two options and "Other". I'll personally go with Camelot ("Other") over Great Escape until I experience the new RPX theater.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
i've been to both.
How would you rate the Regal Premium Experience in relation to the IMAX experience? Would you also be willing to share any advice regarding the differences between these two theaters and the main theater at Camelot? Thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
How would you rate the Regal Premium Experience in relation to the IMAX experience? Would you also be willing to share any advice regarding the differences between these two theaters and the main theater at Camelot? Thanks!
I think he was just referring to the movie theater itself and not the RPX seeing how the RPX didn't open until after he made that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area