Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I saw that too. Looks like Delhaize is practically pulling out of Florida and S Georgia all together. Could they have their sight set on acquiring the new BILO/WinnDixie combo from LoneStar?
I doubt it. Food Lion tried to buy Bi-Lo once a few years ago and it failed miserably. I don't see Bi-Lo being put up for sale for a while if ever due to this Winn Dixie acquisition and funds issued to them from Lonestar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:06 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
I saw that too. Looks like Delhaize is practically pulling out of Florida and S Georgia all together. Could they have their sight set on acquiring the new BILO/WinnDixie combo from LoneStar?
Most of the Food Lion stores in FL closed years ago when they acquired Kash N Karry. They still have those 100+ Sweet Bay stores in FL.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Food Lion Store Closings

Food Lion entered upstate South Carolina too quickly and offered little in its stores. Its South Highway 14 store in Greer will leave a food desert, an area where a supermarket is necessary and does not exist.

If Delhaize makes another attempt to acquire Bi-Lo (and Winn Dixie), I would not be surprised. Lonestar does intend to divest itself of Bi-Lo in the future.

Quote:
Huh? Where did Haywood Rd Wendys move to? Haven't seen one on Haywood since the location next to arbys closed.
It closed, not relocated.

Blockbuster on Reidville Road at East Blackstock Road in Spartanburg is relocating. No information is available on its new physical location. It is not a store closing, but several other Blockbuster locations closed.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
The statement by the FL president was they are positioning themselves for future growth. They are also closing the Chattanooga stores which is a major BILO market. I think many of these stores were just underperforming. I like food lion because it is basic grocery store, quick in and out and sometimes I don't feel like rambling through 60,000 sq ft of extra junky nonsense and wasted space like many of the BILO and Ingles stores.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion Store Closings

Food Lion entered upstate South Carolina too quickly and offered little in its stores. Its South Highway 14 store in Greer will leave a food desert, an area where a supermarket is necessary and does not exist.
This is very disappointing news. While it's not my primary grocery store, I do pop in every so often when I need something on my way to and from the gym. I generally don't like Food Lion, but this one still had a little bit of the leftover "Bloom vibe."

Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
I noticed a lot of the Food Lions closing in this area were built just a few years ago. I bet whoever decided to fund that investment is ripping their shirt off now. While Bi-Lo continues to expand and renovate their stores, Food Lion is fizzling. I actually wouldn't be suprised to see Bi-Lo buy Food Lion in the future. They could probably get a good deal.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM

341 posts, read 761,437 times
The Abercrombie & Fitch in Asheville's lease expired this year. It opened in 2001 and they supposedly got 2 5 year leases, which means it expired in 2011 and obviously, was renewed. A&F is not closing all of their smaller market stores. Come on. I know way more about A&F than all of your put together, probably. I have loved it and have done most of my shopping there for years. I go to the stores about once or twice every few weeks. I also talk about it on an A&F forum. They all say that A&F is not going to be closing many more stores after the 50 this year.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
The statement by the FL president was they are positioning themselves for future growth. They are also closing the Chattanooga stores which is a major BILO market. I think many of these stores were just underperforming. I like food lion because it is basic grocery store, quick in and out and sometimes I don't feel like rambling through 60,000 sq ft of extra junky nonsense and wasted space like many of the BILO and Ingles stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
This is very disappointing news. While it's not my primary grocery store, I do pop in every so often when I need something on my way to and from the gym. I generally don't like Food Lion, but this one still had a little bit of the leftover "Bloom vibe."
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I noticed a lot of the Food Lions closing in this area were built just a few years ago. I bet whoever decided to fund that investment is ripping their shirt off now. While Bi-Lo continues to expand and renovate their stores, Food Lion is fizzling. I actually wouldn't be suprised to see Bi-Lo buy Food Lion in the future. They could probably get a good deal.
Food Lion is struggling with multi-tier formats, regional brands, and necessities. What was suppose to be more Bloom stores, in-store pharmacies, and service-oriented became everything opposite. If Food Lion studied Publix's growth, it would be more successful.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
GREER TODAY

Second story headline dated Jan. 12th:

Food Lion closing Greer store on S. Hwy. 14 within 30 days

Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
GREER TODAY

Second story headline dated Jan. 12th:

Food Lion closing Greer store on S. Hwy. 14 within 30 days

Another grocer should snap up that location. There is no other store close to it for people that live in that area. I would hate crossing that Pelham-85 area everytime something is needed from the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area