Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
We aren't out of land downtown. Until that happens you aren't going to see 20 to 30 story high-rises. They don't want it to block the towers on Beattie.
Land available downtown for high rises is scarce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:08 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Land available downtown for high rises is scarce.
I know of some land. We aren't out. And available office space.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:11 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Good story here with renderings from the other proposals: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/get...2F773979002%2F

A few observations:

-RocaPoint and Armada Hoffler had very similar proposals but I like the design of the county square building with RocaPoint’s project more. Armada Hoffler’s building is just flat out boring and has been recycled everywhere enough already. No word on how they would finance the project really hurt their chances at being selected.

-Carolina Holdings/Fletcher Development’s layout looks like something that belongs in the suburbs not downtown. Wayyy too much surface parking also especially around the movie theater. However, there would be no county office building anywhere on site. That could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

-Crosland Southeast’s/Northwood Ravin’s proposal is very similar to Armada Hoffler and Rocapoint’s proposal in terms of layout and height but the county office building would be built across University Ridge where the health department building currently stands which might be a good thing overall. However, just like with Armada Hoffler’s rendering for the county office building, it doesn’t look as nice as the one with RocaPoint in my opinion.

-East West Partner’s proposal has the high rises everybody wanted along with a twin of the Furman Bell Tower. Financing and layout are exactly the same as RocaPoint’s. Not sure why they weren’t selected. Maybe it had to do with RocaPoint being a larger company which would probably make it easier for them to get financing and finishing the project in budget over East West Partners.

-Municipal Consolidation and Construction’s proposal is vey similar to East West Partners but it really lacks with commercial space (only 60,000 square feet.) The height of the proposed county office building sure looks good though.

Even though it lacks height, I still like RocaPoint’s proposal the best. The size, architecture, layout, financing, amenities, and mixed use elements put them at the top over any of the other proposals. East West Partners proposal is a very close second though

Last edited by g-man430; 07-14-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Hopefully some of these development companies who weren’t selected will decide to build elsewhere downtown.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:26 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,050,331 times
We’re going to need more / better roads!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Is there a master plan somewhere for that area around the KROC along westfield st? Seems like a lot of vacant prime land in that area along Hudson as well... I haven't been up there in awhile but it seems like its filling in nicely as an extension of downtown

Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Is there a master plan somewhere for that area around the KROC along westfield st? Seems like a lot of vacant prime land in that area along Hudson as well... I haven't been up there in awhile but it seems like its filling in nicely as an extension of downtown
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ver/615648002/

https://gvltoday.6amcity.com/unity-p...-sc-city-park/

Old 05-08-2019, 04:53 PM

It’s DEAD. Ding dong, the witch is dead...

Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Looks like they can try again in 10 years.

Quote:
The development agreement with Atlanta developer RocaPoint also ties the county's hands if it decides to back out of the deal.

"No one else will be able to develop it for 10 years," he said.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...nt/1133939001/

Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 AM

401 posts, read 379,547 times
Why are some wanting this project cancelled? I know there are a few on this thread that didn't like the renderings. This is a very important project for the future of the Upstate. I don't mind the developers taking their time and doing it right, but with this being in the hands of the county council, I'm afraid they are going to mess it up royally. I will be extremely disappointed if this is delayed for 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area