Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 02:31 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,264 times

Advertisements

Well, after many years of looking to relocate, it looks like we will go to the Greenville area. My husband has been there briefly, and I have never been there.

Where would you live given those parameters? Would like a decent commute to/from the airport. How competitive is the housing market?

I appreciate everyone's help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 02:56 PM

103 posts, read 129,106 times
Might be worth giving us more details on what you want, other than proximity to airport. Within 30 minutes of GSP there is a wide range of neighborhoods and levels of population. Where are you coming from, do you prefer rural or more populated, what size house/lot are you wanting, what amenities do you want to be near, etc. would all be helpful.

Housing market is extremely hot and it has been on the news that inventory is extremely low, so expect heavy competition.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd087 View Post
Might be worth giving us more details on what you want, other than proximity to airport. Within 30 minutes of GSP there is a wide range of neighborhoods and levels of population. Where are you coming from, do you prefer rural or more populated, what size house/lot are you wanting, what amenities do you want to be near, etc. would all be helpful.

Housing market is extremely hot and it has been on the news that inventory is extremely low, so expect heavy competition.
Thanks for the reply!

We are coming from a suburb of Phoenix, and prefer a neighborhood of brick homes at least 2 bedrooms, at least a 2-car garage (prefer 3 or 4, if possible), and at least 1700 square feet. Proximity to the airport and a beautiful, groomed neighborhood are our priorities. We're willing to continue with HOA fees, but ideally, they would be under $100 a month.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:47 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,057 times
We live in a neighborhood exactly as you describe on the western edge of Easley right off I-85 called Westchester, ona normal day 25minutes to GSP . Houses are a minimum of 2000 sf up to about 3500 max. We have a well maintained clubhouse, tennis, basketball, and junior Olympic pool. A median sales price might be about $365,000.

Houses are on the market for less than two weeks. We get unsolicited calls and mailings from RE agents, and people ride through handing out their phone numbers asking about houses that might come to market.

In our area three car garages are only found on 3500 sf houses, forget a four car garage.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
We live in a neighborhood exactly as you describe on the western edge of Easley right off I-85 called Westchester, ona normal day 25minutes to GSP . Houses are a minimum of 2000 sf up to about 3500 max. We have a well maintained clubhouse, tennis, basketball, and junior Olympic pool. A median sales price might be about $365,000.

Houses are on the market for less than two weeks. We get unsolicited calls and mailings from RE agents, and people ride through handing out their phone numbers asking about houses that might come to market.

In our area three car garages are only found on 3500 sf houses, forget a four car garage.
I just googled that neighborhood and it is beautiful! That's exactly what we would like. We're spoiled here, 2700 sq. ft house (probably the smallest in our neighborhood), but 4-car garage. My husband has the single garage just for his bicycles, and that's how he likes it.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:22 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,057 times
My wife checked and there is one house in our 165 house neighborhood for sale that has been on the market for a while. The listing price was just north of 500k!…no way!…that’s a 400k House tops, but great neighborhood.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
My wife checked and there is one house in our 165 house neighborhood for sale that has been on the market for a while. The listing price was just north of 500k!…no way!…that’s a 400k House tops, but great neighborhood.
That's awesome to get an understanding of pricing! We're in a similar market here, but are hoping to reduce our costs when we go there, and enjoy some greenery and rain....

Old 02-02-2022, 05:59 AM

58 posts, read 165,431 times
You will love not only the weather and people, but the tons of activities available to you here in the Upstate Region of SC. The lakes and mountains here do are beautiful. You may be surprised to learn that many don't fly out of GSP airport, they travel to Charlotte to save on airfare cost so don't mentally limit yourself to the area around GSP only. Real estate market is very competitive and has been for a couple of years now so it may take a bit longer to find the right home for you. Are you planning to visit here to get a feel of things being that you've never been here? It could help you decide which area in the Upstate you want to purchase in. You may prefer the mountains in Travelers Rest, or want to be in a very rural area. You just never know

Old 02-02-2022, 07:04 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
From what I have been reading on these threads and talking to neighbors, you will have an advantage if you can pay for the house in cash. Normally that would sound crazy, but many of the people moving here are doing just that since they are coming from very expensive areas, selling their homes and using that cash to buy. Sellers like that of course because its much faster process for them.

Anyway, I'm certain you will love this area. The heat is different of course in the summer, more humid. But overall, a decent 4-season balance throughout the year compared to Phoenix.

Tell your spouse, thank you for their service!! Best of luck.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcetta View Post
You will love not only the weather and people, but the tons of activities available to you here in the Upstate Region of SC. The lakes and mountains here do are beautiful. You may be surprised to learn that many don't fly out of GSP airport, they travel to Charlotte to save on airfare cost so don't mentally limit yourself to the area around GSP only. Real estate market is very competitive and has been for a couple of years now so it may take a bit longer to find the right home for you. Are you planning to visit here to get a feel of things being that you've never been here? It could help you decide which area in the Upstate you want to purchase in. You may prefer the mountains in Travelers Rest, or want to be in a very rural area. You just never know
Interesting! My husband will be assigned a domicile, so GSP will be where he begins/ends, unless the company wants to pay for a rental car/time. We plan to be out there in March to visit and/or to begin the transition in temporary housing if we can find something reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area