Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 06:39 PM

266 posts, read 300,475 times

Advertisements

Have you heard anything for our area? I have been watching, but see no moves that way. Do you have anymore info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 07:24 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Have not heard an update, but it appears to have been delayed for the Upstate region. Perhaps later this summer but that is just speculation. I am curious also when it will debut.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:53 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
So, does ATSC 3.0 do anything for the home TV Viewer? I watched a promo video on it and nothing made sense as something I should look forward to. The only thing that stood out is that it will provide advertisers real time individual targeting capability. In other words, 'anonymous viewing' such as today using an over-the-air antenna will be a thing of the past.

Now if it enables general reception of WLOS without an antenna tower, that's something I could get behind.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
So, does ATSC 3.0 do anything for the home TV Viewer? I watched a promo video on it and nothing made sense as something I should look forward to. The only thing that stood out is that it will provide advertisers real time individual targeting capability. In other words, 'anonymous viewing' such as today using an over-the-air antenna will be a thing of the past.

Now if it enables general reception of WLOS without an antenna tower, that's something I could get behind.
It will allow for better audio and video quality, and more subchannels without degrading the video quality. More bandwidth in the stream to work with. Also a more robust signal for better reception quality. And if the Lighthouse station is indeed a better signal, it may allow for easier reception of WLOS which can be problematic in parts of the Upstate. As for the targeted programming, that will require an internet connection along with the antenna, but that may not be required for the basic reception.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:05 PM

266 posts, read 300,475 times
the lighthouse station is the key, no more trying to receive from different directions. Also from other AV forums there was talk of some encryption being used for some channels. I questioned the Silicone dust people about my HDHomerun flex 4k, and they said the only type of encryption is DRM and it is already built into the unit.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
the lighthouse station is the key, no more trying to receive from different directions. Also from other AV forums there was talk of some encryption being used for some channels. I questioned the Silicone dust people about my HDHomerun flex 4k, and they said the only type of encryption is DRM and it is already built into the unit.
Hopefully the payed encryption programming will be for specialized programs such as movies or special sports events and not the basic local channels, which should remain free over the air.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:59 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Why does he get his own thread but I don’t?

Old 05-10-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
Have you heard anything for our area? I have been watching, but see no moves that way. Do you have anymore info?
Preliminary reports now indicate ATSC 3.0 will launch live in the Upstate on June 2nd, with WMYA-40 serving as the Lighthouse signal on RF35. So this may help with the WLOS reception issue in the Upstate, since WMYA is often easier to receive than RF13. So if you already receive DABL on the old 40.1, then you should easily receive the upgraded NextGen signals, which will include WLOS, WHNS, WYFF, and WSPA. Sinclair is a leading proponent of NextGen TV, so the upgrade of RF35 was predicted. And they had already moved the old My40 signal to 13.2 and switched DABL to 40, although this was more of a cable carriage move.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:07 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Preliminary reports now indicate ATSC 3.0 will launch live in the Upstate on June 2nd, with WMYA-40 serving as the Lighthouse signal on RF35. So this may help with the WLOS reception issue in the Upstate, since WMYA is often easier to receive than RF13. So if you already receive DABL on the old 40.1, then you should easily receive the upgraded NextGen signals, which will include WLOS, WHNS, WYFF, and WSPA. Sinclair is a leading proponent of NextGen TV, so the upgrade of RF35 was predicted. And they had already moved the old My40 signal to 13.2 and switched DABL to 40, although this was more of a cable carriage move.
I can't wait. I need to cut the small cable service I am currently using to view 7 and 13.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I can't wait. I need to cut the small cable service I am currently using to view 7 and 13.
Be sure you have a newer model TV with the built in ATSC 3.0 tuner. Sony models have been most affordable, and there are also choices from LG and Samsung higher end models. And perhaps Hisense or some other lower priced option will appear. Or you can use an external tuner box such as HD Homerun 4K from Silicon Dust. The UHF signal on RF35 should be easier to receive than than the VHF signals of WSPA and WLOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area