Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 12:30 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,722,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineSJC View Post
Wow!

This is such a great forum.

These are exactly the types of opinions and personal experiences I am looking for. I love the idea of some acreage and maybe a hobby farm.

We also have four young adult children a family members we would like to host often-so fairly good access to an airport is a huge plus.

The Greenville Spartenburg airport is easy to navigate though not direct for the extended family. I am not sure about other locations.

As far as elevation around 1500 to 2500 seems ideal and mountains views are my dream.
If your house is located on the highest point in the area, you will have stunning views. Tons of hills here. Two of my friends in Pickens have 360 degree views. A couple other friends live at the foot of Table Rock with mountain views plus bears. Well, a lot of us get bears and deer and other wildlife.

You'll have to look at everything, proximity to airports (Asheville is another option), shopping, work, healthcare. Then watch your tri-state area and see what homes become available. I'm sure you'll be able to find a wonderful home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 02:33 PM

25 posts, read 31,854 times
It seems like a good area to explore further. We were in the Greenville area for a few days last spring and looked at a few listed properties, but nothing we really liked at the time. We will probably revisit in a few months and see what is on the market.

The only other area we are considering is the Knoxville/Maryville area and we only passed through briefly.
Anyone else consider and explore that area for relocation?

How does it compare?

Old 11-05-2022, 02:58 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Quote:
It seems like a good area to explore further. We were in the Greenville area for a few days last spring and looked at a few listed properties, but nothing we really liked at the time. We will probably revisit in a few months and see what is on the market.

The only other area we are considering is the Knoxville/Maryville area and we only passed through briefly.
Anyone else consider and explore that area for relocation?

How does it compare?
It’s really a matter of preference. I’d choose the Greenville area over Knoxville. Greenville is smaller and has a lovely downtown. The University has a strong presence in Knoxville. When we were in Knoxville, there was alot of traffic and pollution. Don’t know much about Maryville - I know there is a nuclear power plant in Oak Ridge, which is fairly close to Knoxville. That would be a negative for me..

Last edited by Lizap; 11-05-2022 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-06-2022, 09:26 AM

253 posts, read 190,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I know there is a nuclear power plant in Oak Ridge, which is fairly close to Knoxville. That would be a negative for me..
Greenville is in the same boat....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oconee_Nuclear_Station

Old 11-06-2022, 10:03 AM

63 posts, read 38,120 times
Knoxville puts you between the Great Smoky Mountains and the big south fork / Cumberland falls area around the TN KY border.

The big south fork national recreatiion area and adjacent Pickett state park have some incredible natural arches and rockhouses like Twin Arches and Hazard Cave, and walk behind waterfalls like Yahoo Falls and Northrup Falls . I like this area better than the Smokies for hiking. It is like southern Utah but with the arches and rocks surrounded by lush forest

Old 11-06-2022, 10:58 AM

Knoxville has a grittier look to it overall than Greenville.

I like the fact Greenville doesn't have a big public college downtown like Knoxville. UT has a massive stadium and Knoxville downtown has to be a zoo on gamedays. If you are into sports, it could be fun

Clemson is about a hour from Greenville if you did want some college athletics

Old 11-06-2022, 01:38 PM

25 posts, read 31,854 times
I think pretty most cities would be considered grittier than Greenville SC.
It is an extremely well maintained city.
Also, that Big South Fork area mentioned is really fabulous!
It almost makes me want to check local real estate (I probably will!)

Old 11-06-2022, 06:59 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times
Quote:
I know you’re seeking mountains, but Spartanburg’s downtown is also very pretty and beautifully maintained. Not as large as Greenville and no dramatic river/falls, but a lovely, lively downtown. We relocated from the DC area and have never been happier.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:04 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I know you’re seeking mountains, but Spartanburg’s downtown is also very pretty and beautifully maintained. Not as large as Greenville and no dramatic river/falls, but a lovely, lively downtown. We relocated from the DC area and have never been happier.
I like Spartanburg as well. Greenville gets more attention, but Spartanburg is also very nice..

Old 11-07-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I may retire around big south fork. It should be a national park in my view along with Red River Gorge and Carter Caves in Kentucky. These areas have the highest concentration of natural arches outside of Utah. Big south fork has the most massive rockhouses / bluff shelters to my knowledge.

Few people know about these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area