Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 05:43 PM

87 posts, read 183,579 times

Advertisements

I just saw where Asheville crime is really bad. Seems they are operating on a 42% Police Force.
One business has been broken into twice in a week or so. I need to do more research, but thought
those of you considering that area for a move would want to know this. This article is not the most recent....
Asheville violent crime rises 31% in 5 years: Carnage ranks as double U.S. average, even tops New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 09:53 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcollectingdust View Post
I just saw where Asheville crime is really bad. Seems they are operating on a 42% Police Force.
One business has been broken into twice in a week or so. I need to do more research, but thought
those of you considering that area for a move would want to know this. This article is not the most recent....
Asheville violent crime rises 31% in 5 years: Carnage ranks as double U.S. average, even tops New York

You’ll also find the crime rate in Greenville is relatively high, higher than the U.S. average and higher than the state average in most areas (per City-data). You might take a look at Hendersonville. Hendersonville’s location is hard to beat, about 20 minutes to Asheville and 40 minutes to Greenville. The political climate here is balanced, with slightly more registered Republicans. I’m an Independent that votes Republican most of the time, and am very comfortable here. I can’t say strongly enough: there’s nothing like living ‘in the mountains’. Your budget will allow you to do this. Don’t settle for being ‘near’ the mountains.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Carolina.html

Last edited by Lizap; 02-09-2023 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-25-2023, 02:14 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 12 days ago)

729 posts, read 345,256 times
Greenville has nicer weather than Asheville. Greenville gets more cold than I would prefer so Asheville would be bit of a nightmare.
The mountains lose their magic when you live in them.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:42 AM

The issue in Asheville is they have low or no bail policies and there's a strong anti cop sentiment there that doesn't exist in Greenville yet. That's why they struggle to keep cops.

Asheville's downtown has a concentrated homeless problem. Greenville's downtown is cleaner. Greenville's downtown be bejeweled.

Asheville is one of Greenville's top recruiters. People stop by on the way to Asheville and fall in love.

I would do Asheville over Hendersonville tho but I would stick to the burbs south of downtown and the Biltmore.

If the priority is to be in mountains I recommend Boone / Blowing Rock

Last edited by LakeMan45; 02-28-2023 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-01-2023, 09:18 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You’ll also find the crime rate in Greenville is relatively high, higher than the U.S. average and higher than the state average in most areas (per City-data). You might take a look at Hendersonville. Hendersonville’s location is hard to beat, about 20 minutes to Asheville and 40 minutes to Greenville. The political climate here is balanced, with slightly more registered Republicans. I’m an Independent that votes Republican most of the time, and am very comfortable here. I can’t say strongly enough: there’s nothing like living ‘in the mountains’. Your budget will allow you to do this. Don’t settle for being ‘near’ the mountains.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Carolina.html
I would also recommend Hendersonville for retirees. Location, affordability, etc.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:19 AM

A city comparison website indicates housing costs are 33% higher in Hendersonville than Greenville.

Greenville feels more outdoorsy than Hendersonville with the waterfall, Falls Park, Swamp rabbit trail downtown, a leafier downtown, and a state park 10 minutes from downtown.

Greenville has more to do than Hendersonville. I cant see many people settling for Greenville, it's where they want to be.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:16 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Hendersonville is beautiful, and close to many trails, parks, and waterfalls. If I had no other constraints I would live in or close to that area.
We lived in Greenville for 9 years and what I liked best about it was the proximity to the mountains. The drive up 276 and 25 was beautiful going north, depressing going south. There are some lovely attractions and nice restaurants in downtown Greenville, but it is very much a small town. As others have said if you can afford the mountains you should live there.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:01 PM

I've lived in small towns. Greenville is not a small town.

If you want small town living, Hendersonville probably is a decent choice. If you want mountain living, Hendersonville seems like settling given better options in western NC like Brevard.

Hendersonville doesn't seem to have any nice city parks. Falls Park in downtown Greenville is considered top 10 in country

Old 03-06-2023, 07:24 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Just down the road in Flat Rock- this was our favorite place to visit in the area:

The Park at Flat Rock - Village of Flat Rock, NC *

Old 03-07-2023, 03:11 PM

I'd rather walk around the little lake at Furman with Paris Mountain in the background or walk around the little lakes in Paris Mountain State Park.

The only well known waterfalls Hendersonville is close to, half hour or so, are High Falls and Triple Falls in Dupont Forest, Looking Glass Falls, and Moore Cove Falls. These waterfalls are about the same as the one in downtown Greenville,.

You can get to many popular waterfalls from Greenville in about the same time or less like Rainbow Falls in SC, Whitewater Falls, Twin Falls, Brasstown, Issaquenna, Lee, etc. SC has better waterfall hikes than NC.

I'd recommend the Clemson Seneca Walhalla area over any place in NC if waterfalls are a priority. You'll also have access to 3 fantastic lakes.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 03-07-2023 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area