Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 02:54 PM

77 posts, read 79,008 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Currently interested in relocating the area i'm looking at is Nicholtown. What do you guys think of the area? I obviously worry a little about crime and my house being broken into, but also want to buy into an 'up & coming area' that is ideally close to downtown. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 08:42 PM

200 posts, read 157,849 times
It's an up and coming area to you, but it's home to so many other people who will be priced out and have nowhere to go if Nicholtown gets gentrified. Greenville has a serious affordable housing problem because the neighborhoods that had cheaper real estate (and, truthfully, that's why you're looking there) were targeted by affluent people, especially those new to the area. Once gentrification ensues, neighborhoods become unaffordable for the people who have lived there for generations. There was just an article in The Greenville News Online about the severity of this problem, and its causes (gentrification). Don't be selfish and help push people out of homes they can afford; there's already too much of that in Greenville.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:19 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,216,116 times
Typical progressive mindset, similar to thinking it’s possible to dip water out of one end of a pool and pour it into the other end to make that end deeper. Real estate naturally is valued according to its highest and best use. If those folks own their homes nobody can make them move, and if property taxes keep trending up will have the opportunity to sell at a great price. Renters will always be chaff in the wind.

Decades ago there was whining about property taxes and land values sky ticketing on Hilton Head Island for a handful of families who had received confiscated property from rightful owners 150 years ago. Your property values have gone through the roof and you can’t pay the taxes, boo hoo, cry me a river.

Last edited by mckee16; 01-12-2023 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 01-12-2023, 10:17 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,327,179 times
I haven't been through that area since the 90's..

Back then, it was a no-go area. Has that changed at all?

Old 01-13-2023, 03:24 AM

1,949 posts, read 2,766,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Typical progressive mindset, similar to thinking it’s possible to dip water out of one end of a pool and pour it into the other end to make that end deeper. Real estate naturally is valued according to its highest and best use. If those folks own their homes nobody can make them move, and if property taxes keep trending up will have the opportunity to sell at a great price. Renters will always be chaff in the wind.

Decades ago there was whining about property taxes and land values sky ticketing on Hilton Head Island for a handful of families who had received confiscated property from rightful owners 150 years ago. Your property values have gone through the roof and you can’t pay the taxes, boo hoo, cry me a river.
I agree with you. Before I retired in banking 6 years ago, I made several loans to folks that were buying houses in Nicholtown to renovate and move into. It is a quickly changing neighborhood. No one is forcing the homeowners to sell their homes. It is called a fair market for a reason. People buy and people sell. It’s a great country.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:28 AM

200 posts, read 157,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post

I'm actually not that progressive. I just care about the lack of affordable housing in Greenville and the rapid rate of gentrification of working class neighborhoods pushing low wage earners out. And being able to sell a house at a decent price means nothing if they don't clear enough to buy another house outright (many of the homes in these areas are paid off). But, you know, as long as people like you are able to get what you want I guess it's okay? /s

Old 01-13-2023, 04:59 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,339,906 times
Well. I'm ethnic myself. So my race is more affected than any. I'd rather see a nice development vs a blighted drug riddled neighborhood. That has nothing to do with pushing anyone out. Plus, I feel an investor has a right to sell his property vs sitting collecting cheap rent that is barely enough to keep the house up. I've been in that position. I'd sell to a development in a heartbeat. We don't buy investment homes for charity. We buy them for profit and income. When there is drugs and violence overtaking the neighborhood I think this is a better alternative. If the person owns they can choose to stay. I will tell you that most that get offered a significant amount won't. And that's from experience. One of the biggest local politicians I know personally is always talking about gentrification and how he's against it. He grew up in one of those areas as I did partially too. He doesn't live there anymore. He's in a nice plush house in the burbs. Quite hypocritical.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:13 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,664,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
It's an up and coming area to you, but it's home to so many other people who will be priced out and have nowhere to go if Nicholtown gets gentrified. Greenville has a serious affordable housing problem because the neighborhoods that had cheaper real estate (and, truthfully, that's why you're looking there) were targeted by affluent people, especially those new to the area. Once gentrification ensues, neighborhoods become unaffordable for the people who have lived there for generations. There was just an article in The Greenville News Online about the severity of this problem, and its causes (gentrification). Don't be selfish and help push people out of homes they can afford; there's already too much of that in Greenville.
While I appreciate your sentiments, did you ever consider that the OP is interested in Nicholtown, because that's what they can afford?

Old 01-13-2023, 11:02 AM

77 posts, read 79,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
While I appreciate your sentiments, did you ever consider that the OP is interested in Nicholtown, because that's what they can afford?
I'm actually interested in the area because of the proximity to downtown. The house itself is brand new, from my understanding the home previously there was torn down 2 years ago.

I have no interest in displacing anyone, I just wanted to know if the area is worth buying into. From what I can tell it seems to be a good purchase to hold for the long term.

Old 01-13-2023, 12:10 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,327,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock1015 View Post
I'm actually interested in the area because of the proximity to downtown. The house itself is brand new, from my understanding the home previously there was torn down 2 years ago.

I have no interest in displacing anyone, I just wanted to know if the area is worth buying into. From what I can tell it seems to be a good purchase to hold for the long term.

again, my concern would be the crime. I'm not up to date on that area, but.. Back in the 90's, I worked for Domino's.. And that was a "No Go" area. That and Woodland Homes (Which no longer exists and is a much better area now) were the only two "No Go" areas.. We'd even go into Piedmont Manor.. Which.. Was kinda iffy, but the residents there watched out for us.

The area may be a whole lot better now.. I don't know. My info is ~30 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area