Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 04:53 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times

Advertisements

https://www.timeout.com/usa/travel/waterfalls-usa

The city tweeted this article today.

I think Brasstown Falls is the best in SC with Issaqueena close behind. Reedy River Falls is the best for city people because there's no other option in the US within a city central business district to my knowledge.

My ten favorite waterfalls:

Hemmed in Hollow - In the Arkansas Ozarks, short hike off the Buffalo River to break up a kayak / canoe trip. Will get wet, only good after recent rain.

Elowah Falls & Upper McCord Creek Falls in Oregon's Columbia River Gorge - Elowah is the second tallest in the gorge and is as nice as the popular and crowded nearby Multnomah Falls. Best easy trail in the Gorge along a cliff with views of the river with a second small waterfall at the top.

Vernal Falls in Yosemite - Will get soaked, epic in the spring during snowmelt. The Mist trail is top 2 hike in Yosemite.

Noccalula Falls in Gadsen Alabama - Walk behind large volume waterfall with some history in a city park

Northrup Falls, Tennessee - walk behind, nice hemlock forest

Yahoo Falls, Kentucky - walk behind in Big South Fork National Recreation Area, trail includes a natural arch

Silver Falls State Park in Oregon - Trail of 10 Falls, four of them are walk behind. #7 best trail in the country on AllTrails.com. Most crowded state park I've been to.

Yosemite Falls - tallest in North America

Ruby Falls, Chattanooga - in a cave, tallest and deepest underground waterfall in a cave open to the public

Dry Falls NC - best walk behind waterfall in the Carolinas, popular but limited parking

Last edited by LakeMan45; 08-01-2023 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 12:32 PM

792 posts, read 496,332 times
Top 10 in the Upstate* IMO (unranked)

- Whitewater Falls
- Raven Cliff Falls
- Twin / Reedy Cove Falls
- Rainbow Falls (This one really, really impressed me the first time I saw it. Highly recommend if you can do the hike)
- Laurel Creek Falls
- Long Creek Falls
- Fall Creek Falls
- Issaquena
- Brasstown
- Panthertown

*or close enough

Old 08-07-2023, 04:18 AM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
I certainly have not seen them all in my two visits to Hawaii but here are some nice ones.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/12-of...ii-waterfalls/

Old 08-07-2023, 11:51 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
If they meant "Best waterfall in any city downtown right off main street," I would happily agree.

But as much as I do love me some Falls Park and Liberty Bridge, I can easily think of a half-dozen or more waterfalls in the mountains a short drive and hike north of town that are better..

Old 08-07-2023, 04:18 PM

121 posts, read 92,577 times
Are the “polluted water” signs still there? That was off putting.I’m not so into the new hotel being so “right there”. The South Western decor is downright strange.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:24 PM

Most city oriented people probably have not seen a waterfall unless it is in in town or near town. I know people who have lived in SC their entire lives but have not been to Whitewater or Issaqueena Falls.

Our waterfall probably is one of the most visited in the country due to its location.

I think the hotel looks cool.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:42 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeades View Post
Are the “polluted water” signs still there? That was off putting.I’m not so into the new hotel being so “right there”. The South Western decor is downright strange.
Yes it is, to both.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:25 PM

The sign says swimming is discouraged.

It is good they put human health over pretense.

It is surprising anybody would swim in a river that runs through a city.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:06 PM

The Grand Bohemian Lodge doesn't look like a southwestern decor to me. Looks like a Swiss Alps thing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E168cZqovj0

The lodge was featured in Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiech...h=59861cab7885

Old 08-08-2023, 12:26 AM

121 posts, read 92,577 times
I get from the exterior, but have you been inside, it’s oddly southwestern in design and out of place in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area