Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:33 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

My mom used to threaten to kill herself. I lived three hours away. I had to force he into counseling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 06:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I think I get what the OP is saying - it's difficult to see a loved one crying all the time, throughout the day.

I have mentioned over and over again how my best friend and I both lost our husbands within a week of each other. The differences start there, however - because her husband's impending death was known for many months - he was under hospice care. They had a very different relationship than my husband and I had and she and I are both very different people. She thinks a sudden, unexpected death must be much worse than a long, slow decline, but I don't think it makes a lot of difference over the long haul - that person is gone and will never return, period.

She and I initially had very different responses and reactions but now nearly a year later, our emotional states and experiences are becoming more similar. Though we still handle our griefs differently, we're in much the same place now. And I think we're both doing fine.

Short of laying in the bed or refusing to get dressed, or harming oneself (I mean intentionally), or making some huge life change like suddenly drinking a lot or doing drugs or whatever, I think that most expressions of grief, especially during the first few months (but not limited to that time frame) are normal and healthy. We are all just so different personality wise, and then throw in cultural differences and expectations, and wow - tons of different ways to express ourselves and our grief.

Think about all the different styles of funerals - heck COFFINS for that matter. I mean, I've been to all different sorts of funerals, just like I've been to all different sorts of weddings.

Two funerals that particularly stick out for me are these: A "regular, white people Protestant American" funeral, for the totally unexpected death of a child (killed in an accident) and a "regular, southern black people Protestant American" funeral, for the long expected death (cancer) of an elderly woman who was sort of the matriarch of a family and community.

At the first one, the fact that the mother collapsed and had to be sort of dragged out of the funeral, away from her baby's coffin, was very alarming to some people. In fact, I remember whispering to a friend who was there "God help me, if I ever have to go a funeral for one of my kids, PLEASE be sure that I'm sedated." I mean, the whole thing was awful but the memory of that grieving mother being almost pulled down the aisle by two loved ones will always haunt me. And the rest of the people there were so silent you could hear a pin drop, though everyone was very sad.

Now, on to the African American funeral - there it was EXPECTED that people get up, say something about the deceased woman, and then begin crying, collapsing sometimes, wailing, you name it. I mean, I wasn't even related to her and I felt conspicuous NOT collapsing or sobbing. Oh and it was summertime, in a little country church, and people actually had fans that had obituary information on them. I mean, it was like "back in the day" but it was nice, ya know?

Both were fitting and appropriate responses, I felt. Just different cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning