Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m here, cars here, cats are here, life is good. I’m just awaiting my furniture
Yay! How are you feeling today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 08:19 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yay! How are you feeling today?
I spent the day with my sister with dementia. She wanted to see my house for the first time again.

And she wanted to show me around her favorite little town and tell me where all the things were that I’ve already been to multiple times because that’s how dementia works. And I drove us to a far-flung Costco so I could gas up which just astounded her then we got thoroughly lost coming home, and you’re never really lost when you have Siri and a car that you can plug it into, I just had a wonderful time. She had a wonderful time. And she got to make me dinner. But I got a list of phone calls I have to make tomorrow and this weekend I may go buy a sofa. And maybe a TV oh wait I can’t… internets coming. Oh wait, that’s Saturday.

I’ve used seven gigs of cellular data this month. But I am streaming BritBox on my phone. Yeah since I don’t have television.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:07 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times

Old 04-15-2022, 09:45 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times
Reading about you and your sister warms my heart. Love knows no bounds.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I spent the day with my sister with dementia. She wanted to see my house for the first time again.

And she wanted to show me around her favorite little town and tell me where all the things were that I’ve already been to multiple times because that’s how dementia works. And I drove us to a far-flung Costco so I could gas up which just astounded her then we got thoroughly lost coming home, and you’re never really lost when you have Siri and a car that you can plug it into, I just had a wonderful time. She had a wonderful time. And she got to make me dinner. But I got a list of phone calls I have to make tomorrow and this weekend I may go buy a sofa. And maybe a TV oh wait I can’t… internets coming. Oh wait, that’s Saturday.

I’ve used seven gigs of cellular data this month. But I am streaming BritBox on my phone. Yeah since I don’t have television.
This all sounds quite pleasant!

Old 04-30-2022, 09:48 AM

OP got any updates?

Old 04-30-2022, 12:15 PM

Oy vey, do I got updates…. And with one exception they’re all wonderful.

The new house is in an older development which is what I wanted and all of the neighbors appear to be amazing. The guy next door — well he may be a little fastidious. Because I’m sort of at the end our lots are very very close. Our front yards are big for my standard because where I lived before, but they abut and it really takes him 10 minutes to mow his front lawn and my front lawn. And he mows my lawn every week. Doesn’t want paid, thanks was enough, and he does it because he likes uniformity. He also puts my garbage cans away.

That led to me thinking my recycle can was missing, so I called the garbage company to order another one. And then when I walked out to my car and saw it behind the house I had to go call them again and tell them to cancel the order.

I’ve had dinner at my nieces a few times, dinner at my nephews once or twice, a friend of mine who I haven’t seen in years came down to visit me and we went out to dinner, my sister in law and I had breakfast and talked and talked. It’s just feels so normal.

I’ve basically been told by my niece that she doesn’t want me to get in the habit of taking my sister for groceries, because she will do it every day and buy the same things over and over again. Oh, sister had me over for dinner, and she made soup. She always makes soup. She always thinks it’s winter, and all she wants to eat is soup. At this point every time she says the S word I want to hit her with a rubber chicken. Good thing, I don’t have a rubber chicken.

They are also starting to look at places for her to go. I’m going to do some research and give them some more ideas. With the caveat that I do not know how much money she has or anything. So I’m just going to suggest places that they can research them and go from there.

I loved my nieces sectional and I went to Macy’s and bought the sofa. It’s perfect, and it’s blue. I love blue. Even better, I got the last one in the warehouse. So that’s a big sums up. The cats have sort of kind of normal doubt. And it got even better when we got the TV in the sofa because that’s more like normal living. Which is helping them feel safer. And they love the sofa too.

I have been spending money like a drunken sailor kitting out the house with all the things one needs in a new house. My furniture is finally on the way, small loads take forever.

I borrowed some dishes from my niece, and yes if you’re getting the idea that my niece is far more helpful than my nephew you are correct. My nieces husband who is just a doll baby installed my television doohickey so the new TV is now on the wall, the antenna is on the window, I took down the terrible orange red swag bunting thing, these older sheers which are actually more semi sheer, they’re really nice — are being washed, and the new curtain rod is ready. I bought hanging rings, and I’m gonna ring up those sheers when they’re a little dry, and put them up. But that window covering — it’s going to be open!

There appears to be something in dementia with light and colors. My sister thinks the sky is much bluer than it used to be. I spent a few months trying to figure it out until my niece said oh no that’s apparently a thing in dementia — she learned that on Reddit. And my sister‘s house is so dimly lit and lights are bothering her. They changed her street lights into sodium lights? Once again I don’t know that to be true, they are sodium lights, and they may have always been sodium lights. But now because she sees them as orange she really dislikes them, and has in fact used binder clips to clip sweaters to the windows so she doesn’t have to see them because they glare and hurt her eyes.

Now I did janitorial and a number of our garages had sodium lights. I always felt they were somewhat dim. And they are very finicky. But that’s not the point, it’s just another dementia thing I have to get used to.

This area is very quiet, it’s very safe. As compared to where I was where there were homeless people wandering around 24 hours a day, a homeless encampment one block away that was building up and a couple of drug addicts walking around and sort of snoozing in driveways. That was new. Oh yeah, gunshots. Lots of those. And also an insane amount of fireworks. All I can say is thank heavens I am out of there.

I did get Hubby’s ashes, and they’re in the corner sitting. Frankly, I haven’t had a lot of time to sit and mope. He’s in my thoughts always, I have found a jeweler to take the first ring he ever bought me and have it sized back up. I think it’s time for me to take the little band off and maybe switch it to my thumb. It’s a gorgeous little onyx diamond ring, and it was sort of our pre-engagement ring because we did that back in the dark ages. I had it sized down, and it fit perfectly. But I ended up with Dupuytren’s contracture, and unless the ring is rather loose it actually causes me pain. In case the ring shank can’t handle another sizing, which it might have an issue, I may sacrifice my little rose gold band for that. There are white gold, and yellow gold aspects to that so using the rose gold band for the new shank would actually make it three colors which is kind of like my mom’s wedding band so the thought makes me happy.

All in all I’m very happy here. I do want to go out and explore more. My niece and nephew have come up with an idea. If I take their mother out for a whole day, they can come in and clean her house and put everything away and sort and toss stuff like that. I have no idea if this will make her angry, she doesn’t seem to do that much. She is experiencing some paranoia, she doesn’t believe a lot of the things she sees and hears, she doesn’t understand a lot of things that she sees and hears. And she watches way too much news.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Oy vey, do I got updates…. And with one exception they’re all wonderful.

The new house is in an older development which is what I wanted and all of the neighbors appear to be amazing. The guy next door — well he may be a little fastidious. Because I’m sort of at the end our lots are very very close. Our front yards are big for my standard because where I lived before, but they abut and it really takes him 10 minutes to mow his front lawn and my front lawn. And he mows my lawn every week. Doesn’t want paid, thanks was enough, and he does it because he likes uniformity. He also puts my garbage cans away.

That led to me thinking my recycle can was missing, so I called the garbage company to order another one. And then when I walked out to my car and saw it behind the house I had to go call them again and tell them to cancel the order.

I’ve had dinner at my nieces a few times, dinner at my nephews once or twice, a friend of mine who I haven’t seen in years came down to visit me and we went out to dinner, my sister in law and I had breakfast and talked and talked. It’s just feels so normal.

I’ve basically been told by my niece that she doesn’t want me to get in the habit of taking my sister for groceries, because she will do it every day and buy the same things over and over again. Oh, sister had me over for dinner, and she made soup. She always makes soup. She always thinks it’s winter, and all she wants to eat is soup. At this point every time she says the S word I want to hit her with a rubber chicken. Good thing, I don’t have a rubber chicken.

They are also starting to look at places for her to go. I’m going to do some research and give them some more ideas. With the caveat that I do not know how much money she has or anything. So I’m just going to suggest places that they can research them and go from there.

I loved my nieces sectional and I went to Macy’s and bought the sofa. It’s perfect, and it’s blue. I love blue. Even better, I got the last one in the warehouse. So that’s a big sums up. The cats have sort of kind of normal doubt. And it got even better when we got the TV in the sofa because that’s more like normal living. Which is helping them feel safer. And they love the sofa too.

I have been spending money like a drunken sailor kitting out the house with all the things one needs in a new house. My furniture is finally on the way, small loads take forever.

I borrowed some dishes from my niece, and yes if you’re getting the idea that my niece is far more helpful than my nephew you are correct. My nieces husband who is just a doll baby installed my television doohickey so the new TV is now on the wall, the antenna is on the window, I took down the terrible orange red swag bunting thing, these older sheers which are actually more semi sheer, they’re really nice — are being washed, and the new curtain rod is ready. I bought hanging rings, and I’m gonna ring up those sheers when they’re a little dry, and put them up. But that window covering — it’s going to be open!

There appears to be something in dementia with light and colors. My sister thinks the sky is much bluer than it used to be. I spent a few months trying to figure it out until my niece said oh no that’s apparently a thing in dementia — she learned that on Reddit. And my sister‘s house is so dimly lit and lights are bothering her. They changed her street lights into sodium lights? Once again I don’t know that to be true, they are sodium lights, and they may have always been sodium lights. But now because she sees them as orange she really dislikes them, and has in fact used binder clips to clip sweaters to the windows so she doesn’t have to see them because they glare and hurt her eyes.

Now I did janitorial and a number of our garages had sodium lights. I always felt they were somewhat dim. And they are very finicky. But that’s not the point, it’s just another dementia thing I have to get used to.

This area is very quiet, it’s very safe. As compared to where I was where there were homeless people wandering around 24 hours a day, a homeless encampment one block away that was building up and a couple of drug addicts walking around and sort of snoozing in driveways. That was new. Oh yeah, gunshots. Lots of those. And also an insane amount of fireworks. All I can say is thank heavens I am out of there.

I did get Hubby’s ashes, and they’re in the corner sitting. Frankly, I haven’t had a lot of time to sit and mope. He’s in my thoughts always, I have found a jeweler to take the first ring he ever bought me and have it sized back up. I think it’s time for me to take the little band off and maybe switch it to my thumb. It’s a gorgeous little onyx diamond ring, and it was sort of our pre-engagement ring because we did that back in the dark ages. I had it sized down, and it fit perfectly. But I ended up with Dupuytren’s contracture, and unless the ring is rather loose it actually causes me pain. In case the ring shank can’t handle another sizing, which it might have an issue, I may sacrifice my little rose gold band for that. There are white gold, and yellow gold aspects to that so using the rose gold band for the new shank would actually make it three colors which is kind of like my mom’s wedding band so the thought makes me happy.

All in all I’m very happy here. I do want to go out and explore more. My niece and nephew have come up with an idea. If I take their mother out for a whole day, they can come in and clean her house and put everything away and sort and toss stuff like that. I have no idea if this will make her angry, she doesn’t seem to do that much. She is experiencing some paranoia, she doesn’t believe a lot of the things she sees and hears, she doesn’t understand a lot of things that she sees and hears. And she watches way too much news.
Wow, so much going on and most of it sounds most excellent! I am SO GLAD you are settling in and things are feeling normal to you and that you're happy. I think you're on the right track with your sister for the time being, from what it sounds like.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:51 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Great update Hopefully the kitties settle in a little more I like your neighbor (lucky duck!)

Old 04-30-2022, 06:39 PM

The only bad thing is one of my cats is pretty sick. He has a nasty nasty cold. And he is horrible to medicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning