Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

My 2 cents:
My wife is 5 ft 3 she carries Taurus 650. A revlover is simple,robust and works when you want it too! I agree with other posters get some lessons,try different types before you buy.....
Here's some links for you
www.handgunlaw.us
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

P.S. I currently carry a XD40 but I do love my old Goverment 45!!! (Yes you CAN conceal a big gun!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
That is the only that I hate about being in California. Its just about impossible to obtain a CCP.

My wife is partial to her Glock 45acp (which is also one of my favs). But there really is nothing quite like my custom colt 1911 45.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Please try out a Sprinfield Armory XD 9mm....they come in 3"sub compact, 4"service and 5" tactical.
I remember buying one of those when they were a strange new import from Croatia called the HS2000 and sold for a whopping $239 (of course, they didn't have the subcompact or the longslide versions when they first came out)

Springfield Armory, in a brilliant stroke of marketing, realized that the actual performance of that little Croatian wonderpistol was on par with it's substantially more expensive counterparts, bought the US distribution rights to it, rebranded it with a catchy "tactical sounding" name, jacked up the price twofold and viola- now everyone loves it.

People love paying a lot for their guns. It makes them feel better.
The HS2000/XD rebranding is a classic example of this. Everyone laughed at it when it was $239, but those same people LOVED it when it was priced about as much as any given Glock and they had to evaluate the gun on it's merits rather than simply dismissing it because it was inexpensive.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:00 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
I remember buying one of those when they were a strange new import from Croatia called the HS2000 and sold for a whopping $239 (of course, they didn't have the subcompact or the longslide versions when they first came out)

Springfield Armory, in a brilliant stroke of marketing, realized that the actual performance of that little Croatian wonderpistol was on par with it's substantially more expensive counterparts, bought the US distribution rights to it, rebranded it with a catchy "tactical sounding" name, jacked up the price twofold and viola- now everyone loves it.

People love paying a lot for their guns. It makes them feel better.
The HS2000/XD rebranding is a classic example of this. Everyone laughed at it when it was $239, but those same people LOVED it when it was priced about as much as any given Glock and they had to evaluate the gun on it's merits rather than simply dismissing it because it was inexpensive.

Well I was introduced to guns in 2006........to a GLOCK .357 sub compact

found my way to a XD and instantly fell in love.

Only after I did research did I find out everything you'd stated.

Find me a used HS2000 for under $200 and I will give you $50.

The people you make reference to must be idiots...I am not one of them.
XD fits my hand like a glove...Glock is so-so IMO.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM

68 posts, read 363,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaunmt View Post
You might consider bear spray as a better protective device. A gun could be dangerous with your children. Transporting a weapon across state lines is sticky and differs with each state, some states have very strict laws, you would have to research each time you went to a different state. Have you ever fired a weapon before? If you have zero experience you should locate a local gun shop and find a range, see if you can find someone who will show you how to use a weapon. You will need trigger locks if you have children around and never leave a loaded gun unattended. I see lone female hikers in my area carrying bear spray, we have bears, but it would deter a human attacker as well. Just a thought. . .

LOL thats funny...bear spray? I would never discourage anyone from buying a weapon for defense...yeah a gun can be dangerous...anything can be dangerous! Just teach your kids the right way and they will respect it. Its only sticky in carrying across state lines if U are concealing...Trigger locks are a joke...what if you need to get to your weapons quickly ..and not all sprays will deter a attacker....I have my CCP so I carry a .45 1911 at all times.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
I've been putting it off for some time now, but after this latest whack job that killed that hiker in Georgia, I think it's time for me to get my gun.

Hopefully you guys can help me out. First off I live in Alabama. I don't know what the laws are here. Please feel free to tell me

What kind of gun to get?? I really like the Glock, but is that too big for me? I'm a female, about 5'8". I need something that is EASY to load and can be loaded in less than 5 seconds (is that possible??? LOL) I have two small kids so safety is a big issue. I spend a lot of time walking and jogging in very rural areas and secluded woods so I need something I can wear on my waist. Also, for home safety at night, I would like something that could be easily loaded in the middle of the night.

Also, is it legal to cross state borders with your gun in the car if it is not loaded? I do a lot of traveling with my kids and my husband isn't always with us.

Thanks
THIS MAY BE TOO MUCH INFORMATION BUT:
Self defense classes and some device that makes a loud noise will scare off would be attackers in public places. Avoiding high risk situations is another. Unfortunately, in the woods, there are animals (both human and wildlife) to avoid. A well placed knife into the thigh (near the crease of the groin and upper leg = femoral vein and artery, preferably the side that doesn't have keys in the pocket - and it is usually the left pocket that doesn't), groin or stomach, neck, or armpit will give you enough time to run away, too. Just your keys driven into their eyes will be helpful. The knife is my preferred weapon of choice and I carry one all the time (I have a leatherman knife that I can open with the flick of my finger - as fast as a butterfly knife or switchblade).

A trackable cell phone is another option to consider.

__________________-

You should rent a gun a see what is comfortable. It's where you shoot them and not necessarily the caliber that will kill them. If you shoot them in the right place a 22 caliber will do the trick. Go to a reputable dealer who has a range and get 'fitted'.

A revolver is more reliable for a novice. You have less maintenance and it is less likely to misfire or lock. A 38 Caliber with a 2.5 inch barrel is concealable. You can get a 357 snubnose and fill it will 38 caliber or 38 +P.

A 9 mm or 380 caliber is fine for anyone if you opt for a semi-auto. For semi autos, you need to consider single versus double action. You need to consider the draw of the trigger.

Glocks are lower maintenance with fewer moving parts compared to Sig Sauer, Heckler and Koch or a 1911 45 caliber. There is no safety lock on a glock. Ideally, you will need a bullet in the chamber. In an emergency situation, you won't have time to **** it. It is a safety hazard, though. If a semi-auto is not appropriately cared for, it won't work, can misfire or have improper loading of the bullet into the chamber. The shell when it is ejected can hit you directly or bounce off an adjacent structure and hit you (it's hot and it doesn't feel good when it does hit you). I have had several semi-automatic pistols but my wife always goes to the old faithful 357 in situations where she thought someone was lurking around the house.

The size of the grip is a consideration. The sound of the gun firing without ear plugs is another. But you won't be walking around with hearing protection if you had to use it in an emergency.

You need gun safety classes and need to be proficient in shooting with one hand (better if you can shoot with either hand only), and in different positions (standing, from the ground, on one knee, on your back, prone, while moving, etc). You need realistic practice.

You need to consider the options if you get disarmed. The gun will heighten the tension in a life threatening situation. Choose your target and the possibility of collateral damage if you miss.

I don't know what circumstance or situation that you are using this option for (ie home defense, preventing car jacking or just walking around). However, there is a lot to consider regarding the use of deadly force.

Last edited by titaniummd; 01-10-2008 at 02:19 AM..

Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
I would suggest to review the laws in your state on CCW permits, go take a class and learn what rights you have to carry and shoot someone, check to see what will happen to you if you have to shoot someone, can you be sued and such. If you choose to go ahead a revolver is a good choice for a first time owner, keep the weapon with you at all times, don't unload it or lock it away because of children, keep it on yourself or in a secure but instantly accessable place and shoot it very often, drawing the weapon and shooting it should be a very comfortable feeling, very natural. most criminals are very poor shots, you need to be very good, most crimes happen fast, carry your weapon and get to know it very well.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
H&K are the top of the line and very expensive. Unless you're jumping out of a plane, into the ocean, and going off to kill al Qaida, you won't need an H&K.

I own a Sig Sauer P239. It wasn't cheap and is probably runner up to H&K. The P239 only has a seven round magazine in a "single stack" magazine, but has a thin grip and slim profile - good for concealed carry. "Double stack" magazines carry more bullets. The more bullets it carries, the fatter the grip will be. Sig Sauer makes other guns with the double stack. If you have small hands, you might want a single stack. You get less ammo, but it might be easier to grip the gun.

Glock makes outstanding guns and are more affordably priced. There is a bit of a safety issue with Glocks for the untrained shooter.
Most guns have what is called Double action/Single action. This means the trigger can be pulled with the hammer down with greater pressure, or you can pull back the hammer and have a hair trigger (good for accurate aiming) With most semi-autos, the hammer is cocked automatically after each shot, good for rapid shooting, too.
Glock's trigger pull weight is somewhere in between a double action and a single action - there is no external hammer to pull back. This means that if you grab the gun and you have your finger on the trigger, it's not hard to accidentally squeze it and shoot.

I recommend Sig Sauer, they make all sorts of types and calibers and are renowned for their reliability - the official gun of Texas Highway Patrol, the Coast Guard, and Dept. of Homeland Defense, to name a few. The .380 caliber model might suit you well - think of James Bond's gun.

Revolvers are simple and offer excellent choices as well, I have a .38 special. But they tend to carry even less bullets and a small one will be hard to aim and not very accurate at longer range.

Florida's concealed carry permit is valid in 32 other states. People out of state get Florida permits because it's so recognized. You're in Alabama?! You're in gun country, you'll have no trouble getting a permit. Check with you local sherriffs office.

Welcome to gun-ownership. Remember: a gun can get you into more trouble than it can get you out of... be carefull.

Last edited by Eastern Roamer; 01-11-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You go, girl. I think if you will be more comfortable having a gun, you should get one. I'm all for empowerment. I would worry more if I had one, but that's just me.
In Ohio, one must attend a class and then get registered by the Sheriff's Dept. for a concealed carry permit.
My son has one, and one thing he said is if you are ever stopped by an officer you MUST say immediately that you have a concealed weapon because a warning will come up when the officer pulls up your licence, but the warning will not say specifically that it is because of the concealed carry permit.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Thanks to everyone for the responses. Great advice and thanks for all the links, they were very helpful. Most of the states I travel in recognize Alabama's license. Except Ohio!! ~ which makes it tough because I travel to Michigan a lot.

I think I'm going to start with the shooting range like someone mentioned to find a gun that suits me the best. Also going to get the family in a gun safety class if I can find one. There are a few gun clubs in my area I'm going to look into joining also (LOL ~ in Alabama they are not too hard to find).

Thanks for the advice on other methods of self defense. I'm really only interested in a gun - but will consider the self defense classes. If someone attacks me in the woods while I'm jogging, I really don't want to just spray them. I'm sure it would make them more inclined to come back and get me in a few days. I'd rather leave a lasting impression. And as far as home safety, if someone breaks into my home and tries to harm my children or myself, they're going to be leaving in a bag, not with burning eyes

Also, thanks to some posters for describing some of the guns in detail ~ VERY helpful to me!!

My kids are pretty darn responsible but you just never know . Can anyone share any experiences they've had with gun safety classes with their kids. Were they helpful??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting