Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
This line just made me laugh
You guys on here that know me, can you picture MJB jogging in the park with a shotgun! LOL

Anyway, thanks Gunluvver2 for all your input, very much appreciated
I bet if you were jogging with a shotgun nobody would bother you except fot the Police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:18 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
If the kid's BB guns have orange tips, they are probably Airsoft guns. Do they shoot small plastic pellets, about 1/4" diameter? If so, then that's what they are. Many of these guns are made to feel just like their real counterparts, so they are popular for people who can't practice at the range regularly. I use them with my kids so they can get some practice in handling guns without the danger and expense of using real guns. When I am confident about their skills, I will take them to the range to try the real guns. At that time, I expect they will use the 22s for the first few times out, then maybe we'll move up to something bigger.
One of them is a Beretta M92FS and the other is a Firepower Q-14. The Beretta looks and feels like a real gun. There is warning labels on them about them being mistaken by law enforcement for a real firearm. Anyway, the kids and I do practice with these

Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I bet if you were jogging with a shotgun nibody would bother you except fot the Police
LOL, well there is only one sheriff in my town. So he'd probably come up to me to see if I have lost my mind or something! LOL

Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 PM

6 posts, read 12,789 times
Forget the bear spray. It might spray, it might not. Have you ever shot a gun? Call me old fashioned or whatever you like but I like a semi automatic Colt 45. Dependable, point & shoot, up close and very personal. You should try out different kinds before you buy. How? I don't know, gun clubs, practice ranges? Don't buy a brand, buy what feels right to you. If you don't know what you're doing with a gun, you better learn before an incident occurs because fear for your life won't help your aim! Good luck to you!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:44 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,173 times
You can always carry a Samurai sword and read tips from Lorena Bobbitt.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 PM

48 posts, read 151,664 times
The mind boggles.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
MJB, if you want a heavier caliber semi-automatic pistol, like the .45 ACP, Kimber makes good ones. Springfields are a little more expensive, but they're excellent guns also.

Both companies have an indentical copy of the Colt model 1911 .45 ACP, which is an excellent defense weapon, because in a self-defense situation, you'll only have to fire a couple of rounds to bring a attacker down, whereas a 9mm or a 380, you might have to fire 5 or 6 rounds to stop him. The only thing you need to be aware of is it's a little heavier than a snub-nose revolver, and it might have a little more recoil, but you'll get used to it once you shoot 1 box of ammo through it.

Many of the semi-automatic guns that are available on the market are good, the only gun/caliber I'd stay away from is the .25 ACP. It's a 25 caliber semi-automatic, but in a self-defense situation, you might as well be using a sling shot. The round is ineffective at a distance further than 10 yards. About the only thing it might do is scare the person.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
These all work well
A S&W model 39 9mm, an Accutek .380 & an old 1903 colt 32ACP.
The .380 is always on my hip, unless I have that S&W or my Beretta

This is the Beretta. Its a 15 round 9MM & very reliable but about as easy to conceal as a brick. So it stays in the safe alot.

My advice would be go shoot some & see what suits you.
I dont think a full sized 45 or 9MM is going to work well jogging.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 41,266 times
Couldn't have explained it better!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
MLV - So did you get a gun yet?

On the safety aspect, whatever firearm you get, it's always a good idea to teach your kids to respect gun safety rules. I know this might sound crazy, but the best way to make a child see the power of a firearm, and what it can do if safety precautions are not followed to the letter. I know you told me the age of your kids before, and I forgot, but typically it's a good idea to expose kids to reponsible and safe handling of firearms by telling them what to do, and what not to do if they find the gun. Whatever brand or caliber of firearm you get, grab a grapefruit or something similar, and shoot it at close range. Let your kids see exactly what can happen if they handle a firearm in an unsafe manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting