Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times

Advertisements

The idea of a safe room for more than just guns is an interesting one. I've found this one out there that is modular, so it can be moved with you, yet large enough to hold guns, files, and other sorts of stuff all at the same time. Not a cheap entry point though. The starter model is $11k.

http://safezone911.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:32 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
When I moved, what I did was put all the guns into soft cases, pack them tight in the Fort Knox safe, maybe cram a blanket or something like that in there, and lock it all up.

This worked well for me, but I had professional movers.

Your mileage may vary.

Smaller safes that are easy to move, if you think about it, are also relatively easy to steal, unless lagged to wall studs. And even then, if the thief has enough time, just tears out part of the wall and takes off with the safe.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:44 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Build a reinforced room or closet. Use a commercial steel frame door and put 3/16 steel diamond plate on the walls. Inside that bolt down multiple safes. Alarm the vault, add cameras. Someone will have to defeat the systems, cut their way through the walls or door, then cut open each safe.

It will take more time than they have.

No electronic locks. Go with old style combo.
Got a start on it. Poured walls in my basement, steel door, lock and dead bolts. Man eating dog, working on the cameras and alarms....But I'm not using any safes inside....

Last edited by my54ford; 08-17-2016 at 06:35 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Where are your costs at so far with this build out?

Old 02-14-2016, 03:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Avoid ANY with an electronic lock. The cheapos can be opened faster with a rare earth magnet than you can with the right combination. Here's a vid of the other type of electronic safes that are supposed to be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33T4GOtB-U

Research any you buy and if you think you'll mod the interior, you might look at how it's made. Most are just lined with fire rated drywall and carpeted over. There's nothing to secure any shelves or anything to. You're pretty much stuck with what it comes with. Frankly, these are nothing but a cheap steel box that looks good but are poorly made and GROSSLY over priced. I've yet to see one I can't be in in less than 2 minutes. Kindly remember, since it isn't my safe I don't care what condition it's in when I get in it.....just like a burglar.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:39 PM

643 posts, read 471,422 times
I bought a Winchester 16 gun safe for 550 at tractor supply. Its a fire safe and although its not hidden as we are going to move in the next few years its some level of protection.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Nice. Pretty much in your price range and size. Let us know how you like it. Standard lock or electronic?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:24 PM

893 posts, read 885,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I bought a new Stack-On 24 gun safe about 10 years ago (or more). It's fire and water protected, heavy enough, standard combination lock and 3 handle wheel and it didn't break the bank.

Kinda like this one;
Stack-On 24 Gun Fire Resistant Security Safe with Electronic Lock and Door Storage E-24-MB-E-S Matte Black - Walmart.com

You start getting into the better safes and the price darn near triples.
This is why I will never buy a stack on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tTvW83SCLQ

Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
This is why I will never buy a stack on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tTvW83SCLQ
The Stack-On that the guy is prying open is not even close to the same model referenced in the post you were replying to! The tin can that was ripped open is one of those "It keeps honest people honest!" cheap things. It is marginally better than nothing, and will keep children from playing with things they should not have. It is not fire proof.
If you would take the time to actually LOOK at the referenced Stck-ON model, you might be surprised!

Old 02-22-2016, 03:12 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The Stack-On that the guy is prying open is not even close to the same model referenced in the post you were replying to! The tin can that was ripped open is one of those "It keeps honest people honest!" cheap things. It is marginally better than nothing, and will keep children from playing with things they should not have. It is not fire proof.
If you would take the time to actually LOOK at the referenced Stck-ON model, you might be surprised!
Yeah that is not my model.. However I don't pretend that my safe can't be broken into. It's amusing when someone posts and just wants a basic storage safe and not break the bank- all the critics come out. Amusingly most gun safes can be pried open given enough time. If someone thinks a Liberty or other gunstore safe can't be broken into, well okey-dokey... You better be talking a Graffunder or something along those lines, lol.

However I didn't buy an 'upscale' safe because I don't own 'umpteen thousands of dollars worth of fire arms'. I have hunting and basic firearms and a nice boy scout knife collection. I have plenty of insurance to cover it without having to step up to a serious class of safe (which a lot of the higher end models still won't meet.
It was mainly to keep what I do have under lock, out of sight and have some level of fire protection. I'm raising kids and I want some protection from fire since I live in a wildfire prone area.

I have met 100% of my needs with a unit that cost substantially less. No $3,000+ safe required. By the way- My prized possessions and important docs are where they should be- in my lock-box in a bank vault.

You want to know what my insurance agent told me about my firearms and collections? Keep your mouth shut and don't show them off. You're less likely to lose them if you get broken into.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-22-2016 at 03:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting