Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 AM

643 posts, read 471,288 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving in a year or three. But until then I have acquired a few more guns than my safe will hold. I want to add a new safe but don't want to install some behemoth that I can not move. I feel that up to about 350 pounds especially if I can remove the door would be fine. I was thinking up to a 14 gun safe. And maybe up to about 500 dollars new or less on craigslist. Fire protection preferred. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 06:43 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I bought a new Stack-On 24 gun safe about 10 years ago (or more). It's fire and water protected, heavy enough, standard combination lock and 3 handle wheel and it didn't break the bank.

Kinda like this one;
Stack-On 24 Gun Fire Resistant Security Safe with Electronic Lock and Door Storage E-24-MB-E-S Matte Black - Walmart.com

You start getting into the better safes and the price darn near triples.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:42 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Build a reinforced room or closet. Use a commercial steel frame door and put 3/16 steel diamond plate on the walls. Inside that bolt down multiple safes. Alarm the vault, add cameras. Someone will have to defeat the systems, cut their way through the walls or door, then cut open each safe.

It will take more time than they have.

No electronic locks. Go with old style combo.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
My advice would be to buy twice the size you think you need. I like Amsec. They also have people who move safes. I would hide my guns around the house before I bought a Stack-On. You can crack 'em in minutes. Check out You Tube to see how easy the cheap safes are to crack.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 AM

My Stack-on has 4 lugs, bolted to the concrete floor and hidden. It's fireproof and water proof.

It's not a Ft. Knox or other high end safe and frankly I cannot afford one (nor is my collection really worth that, plus my homeowners policy rider is waaay cheaper than an expensive safe).

It's a good safe that gives me a good level of security in a family home.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Build a reinforced room or closet. Use a commercial steel frame door and put 3/16 steel diamond plate on the walls. Inside that bolt down multiple safes. Alarm the vault, add cameras. Someone will have to defeat the systems, cut their way through the walls or door, then cut open each safe.

It will take more time than they have.

No electronic locks. Go with old style combo.
As the OP said he is moving soon, this is probably not the best option...

Old 02-03-2016, 11:13 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My Stack-on has 4 lugs, bolted to the concrete floor and hidden. It's fireproof and water proof.

It's not a Ft. Knox or other high end safe and frankly I cannot afford one (nor is my collection really worth that, plus my homeowners policy rider is waaay cheaper than an expensive safe).

It's a good safe that gives me a good level of security in a family home.

similar thought process i had; my small (but somehow growing lol) collection at this point is all handguns and i wanted something that gave me a little fire protection as well as being at least a bit more secure then a standard cabinet. Skipped buying a handgun/ammo safe in case i add a long gun someday; actually found a safe over the holidays at Costco for mid $300s that does just what i need for storage and flex while giving the basic fire protection as well. And keeps the guns and ammo locked and away from prying eyes and someone trying to walk out the front door with it (between the safe weight and it fully loaded it's not exactly light).

Someday if i ever have the type of collection I've seen others have then i'll consider one of those higher end and mammoth safes. But for now this was just fine for me and my situation; better then handguns laying on shelves and ammo cans on the floor......

just my .02

Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Why do you need second safe? Keep your extra guns under your bed (or in any other storage), locked if you're paranoid, and ammunition for them in your first safe.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:20 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I bought a Fort Knox back in about 1985. Still as good as when I bought it.

Agree, buy the biggest safe you can swing. Cameras, jewelry, important papers, etc. will want to go in the safe as well as gats.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:25 PM

I'm not sure the OP's requirements would allow a Fort Knox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting