Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:26 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Like I said before, Try the P3AT. Not the sexiest pistol, but it is very small and thin. I have the first generation and did a little work to it so it is very reliable. Ive carried it around in my pocket so long that the slide looks like chrome (originally painted black). Of course it is not a combat pistol but that is not what you are looking for either. Im not a fan of caring around a cocked pistol in my pocket so I have a piece of 80 grit sand paper glued to the top of the slide so I can palm rack it. Other wise it is just way to slick to grab.
Thank you, we just got back from our 3 month stay in the Philippines earlier this month so I am finally getting on this time zone, thus I will start looking for a new carry next month and that one is on my list to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Like I said before, Try the P3AT. Not the sexiest pistol, but it is very small and thin. I have the first generation and did a little work to it so it is very reliable. Ive carried it around in my pocket so long that the slide looks like chrome (originally painted black). Of course it is not a combat pistol but that is not what you are looking for either. Im not a fan of caring around a cocked pistol in my pocket so I have a piece of 80 grit sand paper glued to the top of the slide so I can palm rack it. Other wise it is just way to slick to grab.

The P3AT is a DAO design. It is not "cocked". With a round in the chamber, the only way to make it go bang is to pull the trigger. Any pistol you carry on you should be in a holster, including those carried in the pocket. With the right holster, the trigger is covered and the holster will remain in your pocket when you draw the weapon. Like many others, I can only shake my head at your sandpaper idea. Without a round in the chamber you are just carrying an expensive paperweight. If you're going to carry, you need to understand your pistol and get to the point you can safely and confidently carry it with a round in the chamber. I'm retired military and LE, and with both it was SOP to carry with a round in the chamber. That's how the pros do it.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:25 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The P3AT is a DAO design. It is not "cocked". With a round in the chamber, the only way to make it go bang is to pull the trigger. Any pistol you carry on you should be in a holster, including those carried in the pocket. With the right holster, the trigger is covered and the holster will remain in your pocket when you draw the weapon. Like many others, I can only shake my head at your sandpaper idea. Without a round in the chamber you are just carrying an expensive paperweight. If you're going to carry, you need to understand your pistol and get to the point you can safely and confidently carry it with a round in the chamber. I'm retired military and LE, and with both it was SOP to carry with a round in the chamber. That's how the pros do it.
You dont understand the purpose of the pocket pistol due to your LE and Mill experience.
It is not a combat weapon. It is a last line of defense after running away fails weapon. It is a weapon that the casual visual search wont find. The OP understands exactly what he wants. Id be willing to bet his PI experience makes him a much better judge of what he needs for self defense than most Americans. I lived there too. I know exactly what it is like.
It is my preference to carry without a round in the chamber. Our wall of shame at the range is full of people who shot themselves in the leg or butt. The vast majority were either LE or Millitary by the way. Neither title, rank or badge make you a professional. Being Professional makes you a Professional. It is something you earn. Not some title someone gives you.

I win a good 75% of the ccw shoots I go to with my little P3AT. Unchambered and in my pocket.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
<<SNIP>>

I win a good 75% of the ccw shoots I go to with my little P3AT. Unchambered and in my pocket.
I'm intrigued. Post the websites of the club(s) you shoot at, with the results.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I would want a gun like in men in black. A tiny one that become huge.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
he will do nothing of the kind, because he has never shot at anything but soda cans, and very little of that with that little pc of crap keltec. and just because a 380 can EVENTUALLY result in death does not make it worth a hoot. If you shoot a few critters with it, you will know that is a fact. Forcing yourself to have to cycle the slide is just retarded. A DAO gun is completely safe with a rd chambered.
But im willing to bet you wont let your wife (or anyone else) take a shot at you with it.
Are you a professional too?

By the way. Ive seen people hit with 12.5mm and have their legs or arms taken off and it still didnt immediately knock them out of the fight.

More cops are killed by .380 than any other round. 22lr is the biggest killer too.

If you want to talk incapication, .380 is just a 2 percentage points lower than 45ACP.

Best pocket gun, what would you recommend?-failure-incapicate.png

Last edited by Joe33; 05-31-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
But im willing to bet you wont let your wife (or anyone else) take a shot at you with it.
Are you a professional too?

By the way. Ive seen people hit with 12.5mm and have their legs or arms taken off and it still didnt immediately knock them out of the fight.

More cops are killed by .380 than any other round. 22lr is the biggest killer too.

If you want to talk incapication, .380 is just a 2 percentage points lower than 45ACP.

Attachment 170417
Where does that incapacitation data come from?

Old 05-31-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Where does that incapacitation data come from?
It was the 1989 DOJ Gun Crime report.
I use it because .380 was much more prevalent in crime at the time. There were also much more shootings.

Greg Elliftitz's "An alternate look at handgun stopping Power" has similar results.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
It was the 1989 DOJ Gun Crime report.
I use it because .380 was much more prevalent in crime at the time. There were also much more shootings.

Greg Elliftitz's "An alternate look at handgun stopping Power" has similar results.
I thought that's where it came from.

Ellifritz's work is pretty good at simple data gathering, but it is really bad "research." For another look at it, check this out:

An Alternative Look at “An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power” | Shooting The Bull

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I thought that's where it came from.

Ellifritz's work is pretty good at simple data gathering, but it is really bad "research." For another look at it, check this out:

An Alternative Look at “An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power” | Shooting The Bull

The DOJ report says he same thing. So do others. Then again there are many that say the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting