Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 PM

966 posts, read 1,345,451 times

Advertisements

I cast and reload for both rifle and pistol. I use a Hornady LnL progressive press. Pistol I load for 7.63 Mauser, 9mm, 38/357 44mag/spec, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, rifle .223, 30 carbine, 30/30, 30/40 Krag, 308, 30/06, 7.7mm ***,6.5 ***, 7.5 Swiss, 8mm Mauser, 303 British, 45/70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:12 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
I cast and reload for both rifle and pistol. I use a Hornady LnL progressive press. Pistol I load for 7.63 Mauser, 9mm, 38/357 44mag/spec, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, rifle .223, 30 carbine, 30/30, 30/40 Krag, 308, 30/06, 7.7mm ***,6.5 ***, 7.5 Swiss, 8mm Mauser, 303 British, 45/70.
All of those are good cast calibers, for the 7.63 Mauser, commercial bullets are not readily available, similarly 7.7, 7.5 mm rifles. In the 45-70, you can certainly buy jacketed bullets but they are expensive, and if your rifle is an old one, I am not so hot on shooting modern jacketed bullets in those old soft steel barrels.

There are guys shooting .223 in AR platforms in the Cast Bullet Association, and getting decent accuracy with loads "hot" enough to cycle the action. In Garands, we have people with cast loads that shoot better than GI "Ball" ammo (although not better than handloaded or commercial match ammo, of course).

Old 03-30-2018, 12:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How many reloaders we got here?

I thought I'd start a thread on it. Question one, have you bought store brand reloads and noticed the OCL is all over the road? I've had some not even fit in the mag for .223.
Since this seems to be a threat of not just who reloads but also how to do it, let me address my issues.

I've gotten recommendations of what modern units to look at and I will research those. Those of Dillon Precision look like a dream!........a very expensive dream but right now, just a research item.

I also have my ex sister in law's father's reloading equipment. She gave it to me for my interests, perhaps 10 -14 years ago (and then, it is perhaps at least 20 years older from there), but I haven't done much with it except move it from home to home.

Right now, however, the item in mind is what kind of infrastructure does one need to go under such equipment? Will a heavy folding party table or two do? Where does one locate such equipment? I am thinking of three places available in my home such as a wall closet (folding doors) or a corner of the den, along the wall in the garage (a car would be pulled out to the driveway during work), or in the vault room itself but as that such a room is a safe room, I am not sure if I want to load it up with that equipment.

So, input?

Old 03-30-2018, 12:15 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Since this seems to be a threat of not just who reloads but also how to do it, let me address my issues.

I've gotten recommendations of what modern units to look at and I will research those. Those of Dillon Precision look like a dream!........a very expensive dream but right now, just a research item.

I also have my ex sister in law's father's reloading equipment. She gave it to me for my interests, perhaps 10 -14 years ago (and then, it is perhaps at least 20 years older from there), but I haven't done much with it except move it from home to home.

Right now, however, the item in mind is what kind of infrastructure does one need to go under such equipment? Will a heavy folding party table or two do? Where does one locate such equipment? I am thinking of three places available in my home such as a wall closet (folding doors) or a corner of the den, along the wall in the garage (a car would be pulled out to the driveway during work), or in the vault room itself but as that such a room is a safe room, I am not sure if I want to load it up with that equipment.

So, input?
For progressive loaders, Dillon can’t be beat. But unless you are shooting a lot, you can get by fine with a single stage press.

How heavy is the table? If it’s wobbling around as you are loading, that isn’t a goood thing.

I wouldn’t load in the garage, to much temperature fluctuation for comfort. You’re in TX, right? Do you want to be loading in your garage in August? I vote for corner of the den.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
For progressive loaders, Dillon can’t be beat. But unless you are shooting a lot, you can get by fine with a single stage press.

How heavy is the table? If it’s wobbling around as you are loading, that isn’t a goood thing.

I wouldn’t load in the garage, to much temperature fluctuation for comfort. You’re in TX, right? Do you want to be loading in your garage in August? I vote for corner of the den.
Well, A LOT is what I shoot. I'm working back up to the WW III surplus intensity of 400 rounds of rifle and 1000 of pistol a month. My commitment of never missing rather demands such.

Further, looking at using these calibers monthly:

.45 ACP
9mm
5.56/.223

and these every other month:

.45 Colt.

The "party table" I use are these: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgJUF_D_BwE

I use them for holding up equipment in the garage and field kitchen stuff out at camp outs.

Thank you for the suggestion on temperature fluctuation.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,479 times
Quote:
Well, A LOT is what I shoot. I'm working back up to the WW III surplus intensity of 400 rounds of rifle and 1000 of pistol a month. My commitment of never missing rather demands such.

.45 ACP
9mm
5.56/.223

.45 Colt.

The "party table" I use are these: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgJUF_D_BwE

I use them for holding up equipment in the garage and field kitchen stuff out at camp outs.

I have used single stage press, they work just fine, but you have to do things in batches, like one run of the de-capping and resizing in one operations, then perform the adding the new primer to the brass.
the 3rd stage and a new dye is to powder pour which also add a slight flair to the brass, and finally a new dye for the bullet seat/crimp. Might not be a bad idea to have at least 4 reloading trays to hold the brass as well.

And reloading in the garage is just fine, but I would store the primers and the powder inside the temperature controlled house. And bring them out with you as you reload.

And if the Garage has a window, but no AC, you can always add one.

But as someone else has indicated, you need a strong bench/table for the press. It will have to be at the edge of the table/bench for the press to work in the first place. So you need a strong stable surface.

And rifle brass is a pain in the butt to work with. In most cases the brass will need trimming each time they are shot. And rifle brass will only last 3 - 5 times. Where as pistol will last many more times reloading it

Old 03-30-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I have used single stage press, they work just fine, but you have to do things in batches, like one run of the de-capping and resizing in one operations, then perform the adding the new primer to the brass.
the 3rd stage and a new dye is to powder pour which also add a slight flair to the brass, and finally a new dye for the bullet seat/crimp. Might not be a bad idea to have at least 4 reloading trays to hold the brass as well.

And reloading in the garage is just fine, but I would store the primers and the powder inside the temperature controlled house. And bring them out with you as you reload.

But as someone else has indicated, you need a strong bench/table for the press. It will have to be at the edge of the table/bench for the press to work in the first place. So you need a strong stable surface.

And rifle brass is a pain in the butt to work with. In most cases the brass will need trimming each time they are shot. And rifle brass will only last 3 - 5 times. Where as pistol will last many more times reloading it

Okay, two things.

First of all, this is a reloading dummy here, so is there one of those books? Something I can start reading?

Secondly, right now, reloading rifle ammo isn't high on the list. The reason is that I use an indoor range and if the bolt fails to cycle back, I can't just hit the butt against the ground to complete the cycle.

That happened on my -10 a few years back, the range had to use a tool that locked into the holes on the bolt and it took 3 of them to pull the bolt back. So now for my rifles, I use only first run "respectable" ammo (ie, Fiocchi, Remington, Partizan, etc) when I am at the range. If it happens again, I don't want them to tell me that from now on, I can only use what they sell.

Someday, since I have 10+ acres, I may have my own range....but not yet. So while I will eventually be reloading rifle, probably have a stock pile of that, it is not on the immediate list.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:39 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Sounds like you must have an impressive milsurp collection, or is this for others? I see Arikasa (both types), K98s, Enfields, Garands?, K31s...

Old 03-30-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:

.45 ACP
9mm
5.56/.223

.45 Colt.

Get a Dillon 650. It is the best compromise of capability and cost in a progressive press. It will easily do everything that you need in a press.

That table is too light. You need something more substantial.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post

You might have an excess headspace problem. Trimming after every firing isn’t normal, nor is only 3-5 loadings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting