Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times

Advertisements

Hi...

Any advice for my 4 yo DD's hair?

My son has the thickest straightest, most beautiful hair. But it didn't start thickening up until he was past 3 1/2.

My DD is now a little past 4...and her hair is not thickening too much. I am afraid she will get my wimpy icky flat thin hair.

She has a lot of new growth, around her forehead and ears, and underneath her scalp, lots of new wispy growth. But it is not all that thick.

Also her hair is dry and tends to break easily.

So far I have tried jojoba oil treatments on her scalp once a month or so. I let it sit on her scalp while she's in the tub.

She won't take vitamins or eat eggs.

Any hope out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
First of all, I think I would get her to take some vitamins, that would help immensely......secondly, I would relax about her hair, it will change quite a bit as she grows.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
She might just get your wimpy icky flat thin hair, but I hope you won't give her some kinda complex about it as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
How long is her hair? If it is really long or well past her shoulders, get it cut to above her shoulders. I did this with both of my girls and the youngest had hair almost to her rearend. Both had thin fine hair (I have REALLY thin AND fine hair) and after we cut it and kept it trimmed up for a few years to shoulder length their hair REALLY thickened up. It really made it look a lot more healthy right after cutting it. It was heart wrenching as I loved their long locks but it has made their hair so much better now that they are older. Both have long hair now that is full.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Thanks Momof2....we did just get an inch off but it didn't do much. It is past her shoulders. Do you think the cutting allows the new growth to "take over" if that makes sense?

Hey Purehuman, why do you think I would give her a complex? It is not a crime to want your daughter to have nice hair. Geez. If MY mom had done something for my hair when I was little, I would have been very thankful.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
I'm not trying to be mean, but she might be genetically disposed to have the hair she has. I have a friend who was always comparing one of my daughters hair to her cousins(who had thick, full hair) and it got to the point where my daughter became uncomfortable going to see this person, because she knew the subject of her hair would be brought up. I also have very thin, limpy hair, but I've learned to love it as there's nothing I can do to change it.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Yes, you are right, she may be disposed to have fine and thin hair.

Seeing, though, that her brother has extraordinarily thick hair, and that it changed between the ages of 3 1/2 and 5 1/2, I am holding out hope that she might also have that same hair. She might not, but if there is something I can do to "help" the hair grow in thick and strong and full, I think I will be doing her a service. Like I said, I wish my mom had tried to do something for my hair.

I have wondered if the frequent cuts my son received (because he was a boy and we kept it short) had an influence on the thick hair showing up sooner (because we kept cutting off the baby hair).

I am sorry your DD is made to feel uncomfortable by comparison; that is not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care