Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,678,088 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else experienced this as they got older? I am 44 now, and I would say that it's been the past 4 years or so. I used to have SO much hair, it was great. Now, I am a little paranoid -- I think my part has widened, and there is a lot less hair in general. I lose quite a bit in the shower.

I bought a comb to use after I wash it instead of a brush. I am also using a Bosley system (shampoo, conditioner and treatment.)

My thyroid is fine. I am going through perimenopause. Am I just getting old?

I should add that no one else seems to notice (DH or anyone.) But I can definitely tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,928,649 times
I think it is due to hormones lack of estrogen, mine went thin at the front so i took HRT the front never really quite recovered but i didn't lose any more.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,190,791 times
definitely a hormonal thing. surely you've noticed changes in body hair as well. After menopause you barely need to shave your legs or underarms and forget pubic hair.

I had such thick hair in my 20's and 30's it was a pain to go to the beauty parlor cause it took so long for anybody to cut and dry. Everybody always commented on my thick hair but when I started going thru the change at 42 there was a huge difference. and taking hormone therapy is not worth the risks.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,408,388 times
I bet I have 4x as less hair as I used to. I used to have to get mine thinned out all the time. No one else seems to notice it but my hair dresser....and my cousin, lol.

Mine is mostly due to a medication, however, it started happening after I had my daughter 16 years ago and got worse after this medication.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,678,088 times
No kudzu -- no difference at all with body hair, unfortunately, lol.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,190,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
No kudzu -- no difference at all with body hair, unfortunately, lol.
just wait....it will happen. you are probably going through perimenapause which can last for several years for many.

Also are you taking any medications or have you had surgery or been ill lately. Stress also can cause hair loss. Do you have teenagers? lol

Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 PM

24 posts, read 34,016 times
There are several reasons for hairfall, finding out the root cause is always important, so first go to a doctor to find out the reason, if he says, its because of unhealthy eating habits and less of protein intake then go for a balanced diet as recommended by the doctor. Actually you can also blend yogurt, egg white and Aloevera gel and apply on hair and scalp on every weekend and wash your hair after 15-20 minutes, this will certainly help you to replenish your hair texture, shine and promote hair growth.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 PM

37,183 posts, read 41,383,587 times
It never hurts to get a consultation with a dermatologist.

Generalized thinning is common in women over 50 and may be genetic.

Causes of Hair Loss in Women: Medical Reasons and More

Treating female pattern hair loss - Harvard Health Publications

My mother and her mother both had thinning hair. I use minoxidil, and I started it at the first sign of increasing loss. It seems to be working, since there are very few hairs in my brush!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care