Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Not to revive an old thread, but there are a ton of places where you can buy heat-styling wigs. I mainly use them to cosplay, but Arda Wigs, Epic Cosplay, Cosplay.com are US-based places that sell wigs that you can heat style.

They're also waaaaaay less than $300 a pop. A friend of mine only wears Arda Wigs (all day erry day) and she still has all of the ones she bought from them 3 years ago.
I have a couple of regular synthetic wigs. The person I bought them from said you could heat style them. She said it took a very low heat, I remember, because even an open oven can ruin the wig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have a couple of regular synthetic wigs. The person I bought them from said you could heat style them. She said it took a very low heat, I remember, because even an open oven can ruin the wig.
With Arda, the wigs can be heat treated up to 420F. Epic Cosplay has right around the same limitation. These fibers are made to take the heat because there's so many people like myself who love styling them.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
With Arda, the wigs can be heat treated up to 420F. Epic Cosplay has right around the same limitation. These fibers are made to take the heat because there's so many people like myself who love styling them.
Thanks.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Epic and Arda are cosplay wig sites. Those wigs are designed very intentionally to look fake. They're costumes. That's why they come in pink, baby blue, purple, green, multi-colored, cut in shaggy spikes and anime styles, etc. etc. Those aren't wigs for adult women who want to be taken seriously, unless they're in the arts business. And even then, you won't see a Fine Arts museum curator wearing a hentai wig to work.

These wigs are for the ComiCon and DragonCon crowd, not for the CEO's secretary, or the gym, or mowing the lawn, or the realty office receptionist, or the Director of Marketing at the local phone company.

They're definitely fun wigs, but they're not intended to be worn by anyone other than people who like dressing up in costumes.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Epic and Arda are cosplay wig sites. Those wigs are designed very intentionally to look fake. They're costumes. That's why they come in pink, baby blue, purple, green, multi-colored, cut in shaggy spikes and anime styles, etc. etc. Those aren't wigs for adult women who want to be taken seriously, unless they're in the arts business. And even then, you won't see a Fine Arts museum curator wearing a hentai wig to work.

These wigs are for the ComiCon and DragonCon crowd, not for the CEO's secretary, or the gym, or mowing the lawn, or the realty office receptionist, or the Director of Marketing at the local phone company.

They're definitely fun wigs, but they're not intended to be worn by anyone other than people who like dressing up in costumes.
Correct. These are slated as "cosplay wig" sites. However, their goal is to provide quality wigs at a good price. Which, for somebody just starting out with wigs, spending $30-$100 for their first ones is a lot easier on the wallet than dropping $300 for a wig that lasts a few months or $1500-$3000 for longterm.

Screw up a $50 wig and it's not that bad. Screw up a $300 or $1500 wig and (depending upon your income), it's yuck.

The fact that you call them "hentai wigs" only tells me that you really haven't actually looked at their products, whether on the site or in person. Of course there are going to be wigs from these sites that are not professional in style or color (cosplay is their main focus) - but does this look too outlandish, for instance? Most also require cutting and styling after purchase - as is the case with most wigs bought at a wig salon (exception being that they'll do so at the salon whereas with Arda you can either do it yourself or take it somewhere). However, to say that all of their wigs are made to intentionally look fake is quite false. If I had to compare the realism of some of my natural-colored base wigs (pre-styling) to ones I could buy at a local wig shop? I'll stick with "cosplay" wigs.

As for your claim that "no professional" would wear them? One of my close friends only wears Arda. All day. Every day. What does she do for a living? Personal assistant to the district manager of an apartment management company. Since seeing several of the wigs I've worn to work (Arda Hansel in Mahogany, Arda Magnum in Black, Arda Ferrari in Ginger Blonde), there are now five women at my job who now wear from Arda in their wig collection. Heck, even our CFO's wife is now an avid Arda customer as she lost most of her hair from cancer treatments.

Then again, I'm just giving out available options to people whom, from this thread, are just starting out with wigs. Someone who's been wearing wigs longer than I've been alive may not appreciate what these companies offer, but someone just starting out with wig wear and care might.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 AM

Maybe this is the place to ask such a question - I have a couple of wigs which I hardly wear. They are artificial. When I brought them into the sun I noticed that they are way too shiny. Is there some way to dull them down? Do they dull down over time?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe this is the place to ask such a question - I have a couple of wigs which I hardly wear. They are artificial. When I brought them into the sun I noticed that they are way too shiny. Is there some way to dull them down? Do they dull down over time?
Dust it lightly with talcum powder and shake it out.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Dust it lightly with talcum powder and shake it out.
So, the salesperson said they dull down in time, but she was just conning me, I guess.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
So, the salesperson said they dull down in time, but she was just conning me, I guess.
Some will, some won't. It depends upon their usage and how they're stored. I have some wigs from like 2006-ish that look the exactly the same as when they got stored - but I also store my wigs (even the ridiculously styled ones) in air-tight ziploc bags.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
I have always been intrigued about getting a wig too but I have never taken the leap. I have no reason to get one other than having it around to wear in a pinch when I am too tired to style my hair and need to have something in a pinch. I would get one as close to my style and color as possible. One other option is to get some kind of hairpiece you clip in that you can wear with your real hair.

My mom wears wigs all the time because she suffered permanent hair loss from cancer. She wears them everyday and has five or six of them. They are artificial hair not real human. The worse one she had was the one she was professionally fitted for. Totally fake looking and ugly. She now buys mostly inexpensive ones on line from various wig catalogs. If it is not suitable for her, she sends it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care