Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 12:55 PM

53 posts, read 185,307 times

Advertisements

Hi. I've been searching the net for a couple of days about "smoothers" and products that take away frizz and make your hair feel satin-like. I had a hairdresser who used to both dye my hair and, she used a product every few months, it cost about 45.00 in 2004/2005, which was some sort of miracle product. I am Caucasian with very very thick hair, and also naturally frizzy hair. I remember her telling me that this stuff was fairly new (at the time) and that it "sealed" - either at the root or split ends, I can't remember. She would put it on and it would stay on awhile, and she may have put me under the dryer afterwards, I can't remember for sure. Anyway, my hair was beautiful for a couple of years. It wasn't like I had to use this stuff all the time at all; it really lasted. Haven't seen her since 2005. I no longer live there and the salon is no longer in business. Totally unfrizzy, silky. That's why I say it's a miracle product. Why oh why didn't I ask her the name of it?

Well, just in the last two weeks my hair has suddenly gone back to what it was. After searching and not finding what it might have been, I thought I'd ask here. Maybe some salon stylists know at least a few products it could have been? I want this stuff!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Was it something from the Biosilk line?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Hi, Mels, I don't know its name at all, but if that seems like a candidate for salon use that does what I described, I'm glad to know it. It could have been, perhaps. Thanks very much. I'm just going to write down any and all possibilities and go from there!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
If you get a Chi iron, it will help greatly. Usually they use a Chi and maybe the Chi product "Chi Silk Infusion"? Could it have possibly been Redken "Smooth Down"?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:57 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,552 times
Hi Harrie -

It may have been Cellophane? It was a protein product made by Sebastian which could be used clear or with a variety of colors for enhancing hair color. You sit under the dryer for 20-40 min to seal the hair & make it vibrantly shiny & it can be used after chemical treatments. I still vividly remember the pleasant smell, too. We used to use it 20-yrs ago, when I worked as a hairdresser. It's great on hair with frizz as it smooths & sheens & nice on even fine hair as it doesn't flatten but "fatten". Your hair feels stronger afterwards. Was that it by any chance? I've seen some Cellophane treatment products in professional beauty supply stores (not sure if the protein is still made or can be purchased by unlicensed hairdressers, most Sebastian products can't), but if that was the product, believe it or not, Sally's Beauty Supply used to carry a Clairol product called Jazzing, which although not as good, was very good & much less expensive. It also comes in clear & colors & works the same way. If you don't have a bonnet dryer, it can be left on longer under a plastic bag, but the results are not quite as shiny or long lasting. It's very good for the hair actually.

I think Sally's still carries Jazzing, otherwise, check around online & you may be able to order it directly from Clairol or other outlets. If that's not it, if you can give further details (color of bottle, company who made it, salon that used it & which other lines they carried as most salons normally only carry a few lines) I may be able to narrow it down.

Good luck. I hope you find it. How nice to have such thick hair. As a hairdresser we spent most of our time trying to make everyone's hair look thicker.

Have fun... VV

P.S. Just remembered. It could have been a deep conditioner, usually processed under the dryer, called P.P.T. by Redken. It was clear & watery, but left the hair strong & slightly shiny. Not quite as glossy as Cellophane or Jazzing, however.

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 10-09-2007 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Additional info...

Old 10-10-2007, 07:07 AM

Wow. Thanks, folks. I had a feeling asking here was a good idea!

Well, I think the stuff was clear. It sounds like that Cellophane, except that I distinctly remember her saying it was "new." And that was in about 2004. So I guess it couldn't have been that.

I tend to think maybe the Redken Smooth Down or P.P.T. might have been it. Maybe?

I just never really saw the bottle! She would go off to another room to get it ready, and I just didn't pay that much attention. The salon was in New Orleans, called Cynthia-Francis, and they were wiped out by Katrina. The number is disconnected, so I guess they never reopened. I loved my hairdresser! They carried Paul Mitchell products, I'm pretty sure. Well, I think. I'm not positive!

I'll say this. It seems to me when she first used it, she said something about Japan. I could swear she did. But now when I search for that, I find some product that costs 750.00 or something! I paid 45 or 50 bucks, not in the hundreds! Maybe I'm just dreaming that up.

I feel kind of silly now. Asking people to guess. But I am getting good information on products I can try or ask different salons about. And believe me, I appreciate that. Thanks to each of you.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 AM

466 posts, read 581,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Wow. Thanks, folks. I had a feeling asking here was a good idea!
Well, I think the stuff was clear. It sounds like that Cellophane, except that I distinctly remember her saying it was "new." And that was in about 2004. So I guess it couldn't have been that.
I tend to think maybe the Redken Smooth Down or P.P.T. might have been it. Maybe?
I just never really saw the bottle! She would go off to another room to get it ready, and I just didn't pay that much attention. The salon was in New Orleans, called Cynthia-Francis, and they were wiped out by Katrina. The number is disconnected, so I guess they never reopened. I loved my hairdresser! They carried Paul Mitchell products, I'm pretty sure. Well, I think. I'm not positive!
I'll say this. It seems to me when she first used it, she said something about Japan. I could swear she did. But now when I search for that, I find some product that costs 750.00 or something! I paid 45 or 50 bucks, not in the hundreds! Maybe I'm just dreaming that up.
I feel kind of silly now. Asking people to guess. But I am getting good information on products I can try or ask different salons about. And believe me, I appreciate that. Thanks to each of you.
Here is a list of safe products for straightening and smoothing for you to research:
Hair Straightening Products Containing Formaldehyde – Women's Voices for the Earth
This article tells you the ones to avoid and the ones that have been tested again. Be safe and I hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care